Jim

[TC26] Technic Arctic Vehicle Contest - Discussion Topic

@Jim and @Milan: Thank you for organizing this contest! It is my first time participaing in an Eurobricks Building Contest and I like the whole setup and organization of it. It is exciting to watch how ideas and models develop and to be part of it. Very well done!

Just did my voting. I think it worked.

Thanks for the work on a putting this new voting method in place. I confess, I miss watching who voted for what, but I like that we will get a full surprise when the votes are tallied.

1 hour ago, NoEXIST said:

We won't know how it's going till the end? Gonna be stressful 2 weeks:innocent:

Yep. That's one of the ideas behind this :laugh:

39 minutes ago, Tobi Wankenobi said:

@Jim and @Milan: Thank you for organizing this contest! It is my first time participaing in an Eurobricks Building Contest and I like the whole setup and organization of it. It is exciting to watch how ideas and models develop and to be part of it. Very well done!

Thanks.
Glad you guys like it.

35 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Yes, it did. I just checked, your vote has been registered.

1 hour ago, NoEXIST said:

We won't know how it's going till the end? Gonna be stressful 2 weeks:innocent:

In one way, yes, but at the same time we won't have the stress of frantically checking Eurobricks all the time to see what the latest votes are!

5 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks for the work on a putting this new voting method in place. I confess, I miss watching who voted for what, but I like that we will get a full surprise when the votes are tallied.

Yeah, it's definitely different to not be able to predict the outcome until the end, but it's probably a worthwhile change, and does feel more typical for contests!

Thanks for organizing this!

Some great entries to choose from.

certainly a different way to vote, I actually liked it as it allowed me to play about with the order comparing one model to the next easily and to refine my choice until I was happy with my selection.

i have to admit although I never look at people’s votes before I vote I do follow the voting as it comes in to look for trends and to see how well my entry is doing.

Good luck everyone

Just cast my vote, some very good and creative entries, well done everyone! Also like the new voting system, it's easy to compare and put the vote in order, and I like that we can't see how the other voters are voting.

Just now, allanp said:

Just cast my vote, some very good and creative entries, well done everyone! Also like the new voting system, it's easy to compare and put the vote in order, and I like that we can't see how the other voters are voting.

Yup, agreed on both accounts.

I have voted yesterday and it was a nice process, as people said before, to compare each entry and refine the final list. One thing which would have been better is to add a picture next to each entry on the voting site, to make it easier to arrange and not alt tab.

Very cool voting system and great entries! Also I like the idea as no "tactilcal" votes can be made when blinded :-)

Edited by Jundis

It wasn't easy arrange all entries with so many great models but I really like the new voting system and hope it will also be used in future contests. Good luck everyone!

4 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

I have voted yesterday and it was a nice process, as people said before, to compare each entry and refine the final list. One thing which would have been better is to add a picture next to each entry on the voting site, to make it easier to arrange and not alt tab.

There should be a big picture with a list of all entries with their respective names next to them.

Untitled.png

We can't place pictures directly next to the dragging entries, sadly.
Let me know if someone else doesn't see the picture on the voting site.

21 hours ago, NoEXIST said:

Gonna be stressful 2 weeks:innocent:

Do you all think 2 weeks is too long? Initially we thought about closing the 22nd. Not sure what everyone's opinion is on the voting period.

5 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

We especially created the overview picture. That didn't help?

43 minutes ago, Jim said:

Do you all think 2 weeks is too long? Initially we thought about closing the 22nd. Not sure what everyone's opinion is on the voting period.

We especially created the overview picture. That didn't help?

I think 1 week should be enough. Yes it helped, but the best would have been to have a picture next to each of the dragging entries. Would be a cleaner experience. But it was alright in the end :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Alex Ilea said:

I think 1 week should be enough. 

If the majority is in favor of one week, we can alter the closing date.

5 minutes ago, Alex Ilea said:

Yes it helped, but the best would have been to have a picture next to each of the dragging entries. Would be a cleaner experience. But it was alright in the end :thumbup:

We are kinda limited by strawpoll. We might make something ourselves in the future. That would allow us to streamline the process. For now, I am very happy with the pic @Milan created :thumbup:

21 hours ago, Tobi Wankenobi said:

Thanks! We love to hear that :wub:

I think it'd be nice to get the voting done in a week, but looking at the last contest with public voting, it does look like significant amounts of votes were coming in through and beyond two weeks. (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/194351-tc24-space-police-contest-voting-topic/&tab=comments#comment-3607172)

Would people vote more quickly if they had to? I don't know!

Not sure if I have time to familiarize myself with all the entries in such a short amount of time so I'd prefer at least two weeks of time for voting.

I'm actually surprised by the high amount of entries. I thought this to be a difficult theme so I expected a lower number of entries. Well done to everyone who entered; there seems to be a lot to like and a lot of original, novel builds. I didn't have time to build; I hope I have time to vote.

I think it's an improvement that we can't see other's votes. I'm not sure what to think of the fact that we have to order the entries at the bottom, (I don't want to have to ponder which entry I find the worst), so I think I'd prefer the 10/6/4/3/2/1 system to this. But I will see how much trouble this gives with voting.

Edited by Erik Leppen

Well, you could basically build whatever you wanted. As long as you made it in the “arctic color scheme” :laugh: :wink: 

Have to say I did like this competition, for a number of reasons, the open brief and the ban on licenced model.

Definitely brings in more creativity.

18 hours ago, howitzer said:

Not sure if I have time to familiarize myself with all the entries in such a short amount of time so I'd prefer at least two weeks of time for voting.

We can do two weeks, no problem. We will monitor voting behavior for next contest.

26 minutes ago, Jim said:

We can do two weeks, no problem. We will monitor voting behavior for next contest.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm actually surprised by the high amount of entries. I thought this to be a difficult theme so I expected a lower number of entries. Well done to everyone who entered; there seems to be a lot to like and a lot of original, novel builds. I didn't have time to build; I hope I have time to vote.

I think it's an improvement that we can't see other's votes. I'm not sure what to think of the fact that we have to order the entries at the bottom, (I don't want to have to ponder which entry I find the worst), so I think I'd prefer the 10/6/4/3/2/1 system to this. But I will see how much trouble this gives with voting.

I agree with both points!

As we have no insights into the voting process (which I think is a good thing), we could start some guesswork, which entries will make it for the first three places. :wink:

I have a strong feeling, that the Arctic Explorer Truck and the Arctic Walker will make it for rank 1 and 2 (though not sure, which will be on 1). For the Arctic Explorer Truck features many functions and the innovative gear-box through the crane arm and is built with many details. The Arctic Walker on the other hand has an exceptional walking mechanism and is built very clean. It also has the originality, as something like a walker does not exist in reality (at least to my knowledge).

For the third place, it gets difficult to guess, but my guess would be for the Icebreaker. Featuring many function and the cycloidal propulsion system will score it a high ranking.

I guess my Arctic Monowheel will not make it to rank 1-3, as the quality, originality and functionality of many entries outplay the monowheels electronic stability control and its originaliy.

So this is my guess. Who wants to go next?

Anyway, I am curious to see the final results in two weeks. :classic:

I like the new voting site and rules - I'm guaranteed at least one point!! I'd also leave it up for two weeks, as some of us don't visit the forum as often as we'd like, so a fortnight gives busy folks a greater chance to vote.

As always, thanks to Jim and Milan for arranging the competition.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:30 PM, Tobi Wankenobi said:

As we have no insights into the voting process (which I think is a good thing), we could start some guesswork, which entries will make it for the first three places. :wink:

I have a strong feeling, that the Arctic Explorer Truck and the Arctic Walker will make it for rank 1 and 2 (though not sure, which will be on 1). For the Arctic Explorer Truck features many functions and the innovative gear-box through the crane arm and is built with many details. The Arctic Walker on the other hand has an exceptional walking mechanism and is built very clean. It also has the originality, as something like a walker does not exist in reality (at least to my knowledge).

For the third place, it gets difficult to guess, but my guess would be for the Icebreaker. Featuring many function and the cycloidal propulsion system will score it a high ranking.

I guess my Arctic Monowheel will not make it to rank 1-3, as the quality, originality and functionality of many entries outplay the monowheels electronic stability control and its originaliy.

So this is my guess. Who wants to go next?

Anyway, I am curious to see the final results in two weeks. :classic:

The only issue with this is there will be some level of correlation between what you think would win and how you voted.

And thanks for the vote in confidence with my walker 🙂