Sign in to follow this  
danth

[MOC] XB5 Scout

Hi all.

This is something I whipped up in Stud.IO. The goal was to put a lot of 10497 style goodness into a small package. I don't know if I achieved that. I wanted tiles as wing edges attached at an angle with hinges, similar to the 10497 design, but ended up going off script a bit and used rail plates instead.

XB5 ScoutXB5 ScoutXB5 Scout

Thanks for looking!

Cool runabout sized ship. The aesthetic fits the theme, but the new parts help make it work at the size.

This spacecraft captures the true Classic Space look. You have succeeded in creating a mini version of the new Galaxy Explorer. Small sets like this one should also be available along with the larger Icons sets.

Edited by SpacePolice89

Looks perfect for a short lunar hop from the habitation dome to the manufacturing cave/tunnel... Or is it a manufacturing dome and habitat tunnel on the Moon? I always forget...

The one thing I regret on this little craft are those openings around the canopy. For the rest: perfect.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:38 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Cool runabout sized ship. The aesthetic fits the theme, but the new parts help make it work at the size.

Thanks! "Runabout" might have been the exact word I was looking for when naming this thing, but I couldn't remember it.

12 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

This spacecraft captures the true Classic Space look. You have succeeded in creating a mini version of the new Galaxy Explorer. Small sets like this one should also be available along with the larger Icons sets. 

Yay, thanks! Yes, I agree, we need smaller sets too. Some of the Star Wars Microfighters are so nice that it makes me jealous - if only they put that kind of design effort into $10 unlicensed Space sets.

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Looks perfect for a short lunar hop from the habitation dome to the manufacturing cave/tunnel... Or is it a manufacturing dome and habitat tunnel on the Moon? I always forget...

The one thing I regret on this little craft are those openings around the canopy. For the rest: perfect.

Thanks! It turns out a 1x2 panel can pretty much eliminate that entire gap and seal the canopy. Here's a pic showing the panels in gray:

SBUmauX.png

Reminds me a lot of like 6872: Xenon X-Craft , including the red front, speaker/thrusters at the sides, and storage at the back, and funny enough, that set did have gaps underneath too.

Perhaps like an update model with a more compact/updated engine system (like in the real world some jets downscaled from 4 to 2 jets with the airbus A340 to A350 aircraft)
t6872-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

On 10/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, danth said:

Thanks! It turns out a 1x2 panel can pretty much eliminate that entire gap and seal the canopy. Here's a pic showing the panels in gray:

SBUmauX.png

That's LEGO for ya. There's almost always a solution to fix something up.:classic:

On 10/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, TeriXeri said:

Reminds me a lot of like 6872: Xenon X-Craft , including the red front, speaker/thrusters at the sides, and storage at the back, and funny enough, that set did have gaps underneath too.

Perhaps like an update model with a more compact/updated engine system (like in the real world some jets downscaled from 4 to 2 jets with the airbus A340 to A350 aircraft)

Yes! 6872 was part of my inspiration. Xenon X-Craft was the only other blue & gray space ship with a trans yellow windscreen after the original three. And it just packed in the goodness into such a small package. So many great parts, the rear storage, and even the robot. I have another version of this MOC more like 6872, with the gray engine & black rocket made out of new parts, but it's not done yet.

I always assumed that the hinged panels on 6872 were supposed to be side walls for the underside of the cockpit. I know they aren't shown like that on the box...maybe the photographer didn't know?

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

It reminds me of an enhanced version of the 885 set! :excited:

Very good job! :thumbup:

Yay, thanks!

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Nicely done! Do you have any plans to make a larger ship for this to dock with? 

Thanks! My IRL friend also asked me that too. I guess I might have to now...

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Adorable!

Thanks! 😊

5 hours ago, danth said:

Thanks! My IRL friend also asked me that too. I guess I might have to now...

It looks like one of the cockpit-ships from the Deep Freeze Defender! Maybe you could do something like that, or go the Blacktron Invader route and attach a modular cargo bay and rear engine. 

For a cheap thrill I reskinned this thing in Studio. The trans-dark blue comes out too light for some reason. Anyway obviously all the parts don't exist in these colors.

Group Shot 3

No wonder the Blacktron have such a moody reputation. They only get to fly one of these beauties, while the Classic Spacers get three of them!

19 hours ago, danth said:

For a cheap thrill I reskinned this thing in Studio. The trans-dark blue comes out too light for some reason. Anyway obviously all the parts don't exist in these colors.

These look really good - Now you need to make Space Police, Blacktron II, M;Tron, and Spyrius versions! 👍
BTW, how do the CS white and CS grey ones look with trans-light blue and trans-bright green canopies respectively? 

On 10/20/2023 at 2:44 AM, GeoBrick said:

No wonder the Blacktron have such a moody reputation. They only get to fly one of these beauties, while the Classic Spacers get three of them!

😊

On 10/20/2023 at 7:39 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

These look really good - Now you need to make Space Police, Blacktron II, M;Tron, and Spyrius versions! 👍
BTW, how do the CS white and CS grey ones look with trans-light blue and trans-bright green canopies respectively? 

In the image I posted, I think the blue canopies already look like trans-light blue. I haven't tried bright green but I did do this for fun:

Small Ship x5b_Space_Police
9 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

It looks even more fantastic in real life

Wow thanks!