Sign in to follow this  
Follows Closely

Shield Collection by Year

Edit: Show the most recent photo.

Spoiler

53416816885_2829e6a9dc_o_d.jpg

Over the past 6 months I have been pulling all the shields I could find from my collection. I am 56 shields shy of having a complete collection. I have created a bricklink wanted list and am considering sourcing the remaing shields that are priced under $10 (all but one of them). I also need to source some more number tiles. The black 2x2 radar dish and the black 3x3 disk pieces are placeholders for missing shields. The black 1x1 round plates are placeholders for missing number tiles.

53132850011_2ce3d6aecf_k.jpg

Details of each shield can be seen here: https://followsclosely.github.io/shields/, the site has the same layout as the above image. Use the toggles on the top to show/hide and to break on year.

Edited by Follows Closely
added tags

17 hours ago, SirBlake said:

... That second row from the top is hitting hard. 

The 80s are my nostalgia rush.

Thank you. This showed me shields I was not aware of. The stickered stag shield from the Bricklink set is beautiful. Too bad it is ultra rare. 

The 1x1 black tiles I am using for the years are also difficult to find at a resaonable price. Does anyone have other ideas on how to display the year? I Am open to 3rd party printing if that is available.

Hahah, you are crazy! I did not know that many shields existed!

On another note, you may want to think about printing transparent stickers with a basic inkjet printer and sticking them on black tiles. If you want to use pure Lego on the cheap I have no idea. I have been trying to use similar tiles and they are expensive to get a lot...

Nice.

Crazy how many new pieces are made these days, there's just as many from the last 10 years as for the 35 years previous...

On 10/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, Follows Closely said:

With the release of the Viking Village I wanted to post and updated of my Shield Collection. Just 19 to go!

95oell71dnrm.jpg

The shields included in the Viking Village are truely beautiful detailed shields.

ripraffq3u2d.jpg

This might be one of the coolest lego displays i have seen 

I am finilalizing my shield collection so that I can build my display frame. The frame is brick built and I have minimized the impact of adding new shields as they are released, but if I missed a shield it is a huge pain to go back and shift everything down and to the right. Below you will find my definition of what I have included in my collection.

1. Any element that was initially designed to be held by a minifig as a shield. Accounts for the inclusion of 75902pb19 even though it is used as a vehicle decal in a Technic set.
  2. Any element that is held by a minifig as a shield. Accounts for the inclusion of 98834pb02 even though it was introduced as a vehicle spoiler.
  3. Brick built shields are not included. Exceptions are made when a single tile is added to a shield element (14769pb523) in the Goat Boat (76208), and the 2x3 tiles held by mincraft minifigs, such as 26603pb275.
  4. Offensive weapons that are used to block an attack are not included. This eliminates swords, light sabers and power burst shields.
  5. Nexo Knight shield tiles are not included. The four Nexo Knight shields are included, but the 161 Nexo Knight shield tiles that attach are not included (see Nexo Collection).
  6. Lego duplo and bionicle shields are not included.

My Favor to Ask: could I get a few people to look over my list and verify that I did not miss any shields from 1978-2023?

My list can be found here: https://followsclosely.github.io/shields/

5rpqgjdvcdvb1.png?width=1820&format=png&

* The two red shields in 2023 are from the viking village.

added picture

I have identified three new shields so far in the newly released 2024 images:

71045-3.jpg?202312020345

21252-1.jpg?202311010445

71804-1.jpg?202309260228also in the larger set: https://brickset.com/sets/71809-1/Egalt-the-Master-Dragon

... the hunt continues.

I have finally a completed set of Nexo Knight Shields. I am still two shy for my minifig shield collection above.

53350918403_3ecaa584dd_c_d.jpg

More on flickr.

I picked up two of the three 2024 shields at my local Wal*Mart today. I am looking forward to the shield shop as I am expecting at least 6 or so shields, hopefully a couple new ones!

4kd8rx0v9c7c1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Given the year is just about over and we are not going to get any more shields, it is time to post my collection.

Complete~ minifig shield Collection organized by year.

53416816885_2829e6a9dc_o_d.jpg

The following guidelines are used to determine what elements are included in the Lego Shield Collection:

• Any element that was initially designed to be held by a minifig as a shield. Accounts for the inclusion of 75902pb19 even though it is used as a vehicle decal in a Technic set.
  • Any element that is held by a minifig as a shield. Accounts for the inclusion of 98834pb02 even though it was introduced as a vehicle spoiler.
  • Brick built shields are not included. Exceptions are made when a single tile is added to a shield element (14769pb523), as in the Goat Boat (76208) set.
  • Offensive weapons that are used to block an attack are not included. This eliminates swords, light sabers and power burst shields.
  • Nexo Knight shield tiles are not included. The four Nexo Knight shields are included, but the 161 Nexo Knight shield tiles that attach are not included (see Nexo Collection).
  • Lego duplo and bionicle shields are not included.

~ Missing three shields. Two noted by the red lego plates and one shield has a home made print. Details can be found here: <a href="https://followsclosely.github.io/shields/" rel="noreferrer nofollow">followsclosely.github.io/shields/</a>

53325293966_1a9cddc61e_w_d.jpg53416660159_437aa6581c_w_d.jpg53416337166_b8152ddfb2_w_d.jpg53416660149_8ea6eeee97_w_d.jpg53416337161_4c48ba7496_w_d.jpg

More pictures on flickr.

Impressive collection and a wonderful display :wub: I also like all the black greebling behind the shields. As kids, me and my brother had the shields from 1984 till 1995.

Very impressive indeed. I fully agree on the background greebling, looks just great and makes it look much more interesting than just a plain black background. I guess you will soon run out of space for new shields, but the good thing is, beeing built out of Lego it is easy to increase it´s size, lol.

Edited by Black Falcon