GrandPixelMan

[MOC] Sächsische IV K

Hey everyone!

I'd like to show you 1/42nd builds I made of the Saxon IV K with an IFA W50 on a Rollwagen.
Narrow gauge in Germany is fascinating and once was very wide spread. Nowadays you can still find loads of heritage narrow gauge railways around Germany. These team locomotives were used till as late as the 1990s on these railways.
After visiting some of them I just had to build some of these magnificent machines with LEGO. To go with it I built a typical truck found around East Germany with an interesting transport solution.

LEGO Sächsische IV K + IFA W50 + RF4

First up is the Sächsische IV K.
These Gunther-Meyer type steam locomotives were built for the Royal Saxon State Railways between 1892 and 1921. They're the most numerous built narrow gauge locomotives in Germany with 96 of them built.
In 1994 the last of them left regular service.
The locomotive I have built is a representation of the modified locomotives run by Deutsche Reichsbahn between 1962 and 1994.

LEGO Sächsische IV K

LEGO Sächsische IV KLEGO Sächsische IV K

To bypass the need to transfer cargo from standard gauge freight cars to narrow gauge a special wagon was designed. These were narrow gauge wagons with standard gauge tracks built onto them. This meant that standard gauge cars could be rolled on to them and transported over the narrow gauge.
These wagons were called Rollwagen. The version I have made was modified with plates to accomodate a road vehicle.
The road vehicle in question is an IFA W50 ADK 80. A mobile crane built onto the base of an IFA W50 truck. IFA (Industrieverband Fahrzeugbau) was the company in charge of building road vehicles in East Germany. ADK 80 meant the crane was able to hoist up to 8 tonnes.

LEGO IFA W50 ADK 80 + RF4 RollwagenLEGO IFA W50 ADK 80 + RF4 RollwagenLEGO IFA W50 ADK 80

Please tell me what you think!

Stay tuned as there's more rolling stock and locomotives coming up!

LEGO Sachsische I K WIP

Edited by GrandPixelMan

Very very good. You've really captured the essence of these narrow gauge locos. The rollwagen and truck are equally good. If you have some photos of the prototype you can see they were sometimes dwarfed by the standard gauge trucks on the rollwagons, particularly coal hoppers. Is this to be a "shelf queen" or will it get some run time?

Top!

The front of the Truck is perfect and I habe no problem with identification as a IFA W50. Fun fact: The „W“ in W50 means the city Werdau in East Germany, my city of my younger live.

Thomas

Very nice job. So many details and that in a 4 stud gauge locomotive! Really impressive @GrandPixelMan. I also like the yellow truck. Fits the era well.

Very nice moc! The locomotive looks fantastic, as does the IFA truck. Growing up in East Germany chances are that i have seen both when i was a kid :laugh:

17 hours ago, idlemarvel said:

Very very good. You've really captured the essence of these narrow gauge locos. The rollwagen and truck are equally good. If you have some photos of the prototype you can see they were sometimes dwarfed by the standard gauge trucks on the rollwagons, particularly coal hoppers. Is this to be a "shelf queen" or will it get some run time?

Thanks! I wanted to make a closed wagon to place on top of the Rollwagen, but I didn't have the pieces for it. It's so funny seeing those enormous wagons behind a small narrow gauge locomotive.
Though I did build it with running ability in mind, it's going to be one for the shelf :P

11 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Top!

The front of the Truck is perfect and I habe no problem with identification as a IFA W50. Fun fact: The „W“ in W50 means the city Werdau in East Germany, my city of my younger live.

Thomas

Oh wow what a coincidence! Must have seen a few of them running around then?

8 hours ago, *thomas* said:

Very nice and highly detailed model. Love it!

thanks!

8 hours ago, JopieK said:

Very nice job. So many details and that in a 4 stud gauge locomotive! Really impressive @GrandPixelMan. I also like the yellow truck. Fits the era well.

I like a challenge :D Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Very nice moc! The locomotive looks fantastic, as does the IFA truck. Growing up in East Germany chances are that i have seen both when i was a kid :laugh:

They're both so numerous the chances are high! thanks :D

2 hours ago, GrandPixelMan said:

Must have seen a few of them running around then?

Yes, the W50 was the standard truck in the GDR and ubiquitous.

Thomas

Gorgeous engine! All those details are stunning. It's also very interesting seeing how other places achieved interoperability between gauges. Great truck too!

12 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

Gorgeous engine! All those details are stunning. It's also very interesting seeing how other places achieved interoperability between gauges. Great truck too!

Thanks! It's something I never knew was a thing, but once I started looking into it I fell into a rabbit hole of mixing gauges and the incredible techniques used to do so.

Wonderful work on the dampflok and truck. For a narrow gauge locomotive, you managed to pack in a lot of details. I remember seeing this sort of setup when I visited the Harz Mountains.

10 hours ago, GrandPixelMan said:

Thanks! It's something I never knew was a thing, but once I started looking into it I fell into a rabbit hole of mixing gauges and the incredible techniques used to do so.

Then you'll probably know that we're all about gauge changing here in Spain! Although, as far as I know, there isn't any interoperability with our narrow gauge.

Incredible level of detail ... even more sensational when you think of the reduced scale of the tracks! :wub:
The arrangement of the pistons of the steam locomotive is the thing that amazes me the most! :excited:

Wow, wonderful! You managed to put many detail in this small narrow gauge train.