Megbricks

71046 CMF series 26: Space themed!

I can’t wait to see official list of characters’ names. I’m curious about names for M:Tron, Ice Planet and Blacktron II characters. Like Johnny Thunder got a name “Jungle Explorer” and Basil the Batlord as “Vampire Knight”. 

12 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I can’t wait to see official list of characters’ names. I’m curious about names for M:Tron, Ice Planet and Blacktron II characters. Like Johnny Thunder got a name “Jungle Explorer” and Basil the Batlord as “Vampire Knight”. 

I wouldn´t wonder if they would use their faction names to describe them actually. No idea why they didn´t do that with the other figures anyways, since all of them were clearly refering to their older versions, but with Space it seems even more likely they would do that, since it would be boring to call them Red Astronaut, Mutant Astronaut etc. 

23 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I wouldn´t wonder if they would use their faction names to describe them actually. No idea why they didn´t do that with the other figures anyways, since all of them were clearly refering to their older versions, but with Space it seems even more likely they would do that, since it would be boring to call them Red Astronaut, Mutant Astronaut etc. 

I mean, sure, but I’m quote interested in offical naems for these three space-themed characters, that’s all…   I found that strange they called Basil the Batlord “Vampire Knight” instead of Vampire LORD”. I mean, sure Basil the Batlord dressed up in armor and ready for battle just like the ready-for-battle Lion Queen from Lion Knights’ Caste. 

Boring or not, it’s still strange TLG name the criminal alien from past series “Alien”. Like, just Alien. That’s why I’m curious to see offical list. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lion King said:

I mean, sure, but I’m quote interested in offical naems for these three space-themed characters, that’s all…   I found that strange they called Basil the Batlord “Vampire Knight” instead of Vampire LORD”. I mean, sure Basil the Batlord dressed up in armor and ready for battle just like the ready-for-battle Lion Queen from Lion Knights’ Caste. 

Boring or not, it’s still strange TLG name the criminal alien from past series “Alien”. Like, just Alien. That’s why I’m curious to see offical list. 

If I were Lego I would have just named them Johnny Thunder, Basil the Batlord etc. But well, they choose otherwise for whatever reason. Maybe so people that don´t know who those firgures are don´t wonder? Possible one day someone will find out in an interview, but until then.

However, the Series is on the official Websites now, so we got the names. 

• Orion
  • M-Tron Powerlifter
  • Blacktron Mutant
  • Alien Beetlezoid
  • Spacewalking Astronaut
  • Ice Planet Explorer
  • Retro Space Heroine 
  • Robot Butler
  • Nurse Android
  • Flying Saucer Costume Fan
  • Imposter
  • Alien Tourist
Edited by Black Falcon

57 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

If I were Lego I would have just named them Johnny Thunder, Basil the Batlord etc. But well, they choose otherwise for whatever reason. Maybe so people that don´t know who those firgures are don´t wonder? Possible one day someone will find out in an interview, but until then.

I don't think Lego has given any proper names to the minifigs from minifig series - outside of licensed ones, of course. Even in Series 4, which clearly had Frankenstein's monster, just has "The Monster" as the official name. 

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Alien Beetlezoid

Sounds like the name of a Gyroid from Animal Crossing.

Imposter

1 Imposter Remains...

However, the Series is on the official Websites now, so we got the names. 

• Orion
  • M-Tron Powerlifter
  • Blacktron Mutant
  • Alien Beetlezoid
  • Spacewalking Astronaut
  • Ice Planet Explorer
  • Retro Space Heroine 
  • Robot Butler
  • Nurse Android
  • Flying Saucer Costume Fan
  • Imposter

I like those names for M:Tron, Blacktron and Ice Planet chargers. Much beter than “boring” you claimed lol. 

11 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

The imposter looks kinda sus 

Sus?

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

@Black Falcon, you forgot to mention “Alien Tourist”. 

I added him, thanks. Any other name for that one would have surprised me anyways lol.

I'm starting to get over the trans-neon color fiasco and I'm appreciating these more for what they are.

The M-Tron and Ice Planet figs are as cool as they can be, considering. The loss of magnets is sad, but the power loader claw thing is cool. That gray printed tile could be extremely useful for M-Tron MOCs.

I can't find it now, but I saw a pic of the regular astronaut's backpack, and it had a very nice large classic space tile! If I remember right it was white with panel lines and an actual golden Space logo, which might be nice for white Space MOCs. That and the printed cheese slopes seem useful.

The fake cheesy smile on the Imposter is freaking hilarious.

The Retro Space Heroine is way cool.

I like the printing on the butler's torso. Reminds me of this:

3039p23.png

I added him, thanks. Any other name for that one would have surprised me anyways lol.

I think they should have given him a totally mundane name to go with his incredible disguise.  "I am Bill Smith, totally normal earth being."

4 hours ago, danth said:

I like the printing on the butler's torso. Reminds me of this:

The back of the butler's torso also has a pattern that matches the classic 1x2 tape cassette tile! Really fun little details for sure. Even if the butler is not specifically a throwback to any classic LEGO theme, those sorts of old-school details (monochrome text-only computer interfaces and magnetic tape based data storage) fit really great with its general retro-futuristic vibe.

As disappointed as I initially was when it became clear it would be a regular series, this has to be one of the most fun ones in a while! :laugh: The mixture of Classic Space minifigs with interesting twists and modern designs and elements works just so well in my opinion. Much cooler than I would‘ve expected, even more so now with the high-res pictures!

Orion, huh?

This is the second time they use a propor name, only after S10 Medusa

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Orion, huh?

This is the second time they use a propor name, only after S10 Medusa

What name else you could think of for Orion? 

18 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Constellation Guy? :laugh:

Yup that’s what I think so lol.

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

What name else you could think of for Orion? 

Constellation

Because that's what it is rather than the actual Orion

Posted (edited)

I don't see a problem with using proper names for constellation-based figures like Orion, any more than using the name "Lady Liberty" to refer to that minifigure from series 6. I also feel like there's a big difference between figures that portray established personifications of abstract concepts and ones based on real people like Julius Caesar and Cleopatra, or on literary characters like Sherlock Holmes and Dracula.

If the figure were based more directly on the mythological figure Orion instead of the constellation (i.e. with hair and skin colors more typical of a human minifig), then a name like "ancient hunter" might be more fitting, since there could just as easily be other hunters from classical history and mythology with those same clothes and features. But as it is, a generic term like "constellation", "constellation guy", or "constellation hunter" would seem a bit silly to me, since it is very obviously NOT a generic constellation — the features and shield pattern specifically represent the constellation Orion.

EDIT: Also Orion and Medusa are not the only two outside the licensed series with proper names — another that springs to mind is Santa Claus!

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I don't see a problem with using proper names for constellation-based figures like Orion, any more than using the name "Lady Liberty" to refer to that minifigure from series 6. I also feel like there's a big difference between figures that portray established personifications of abstract concepts and ones based on real people like Julius Caesar and Cleopatra, or on literary characters like Sherlock Holmes and Dracula.

If the figure were based more directly on the mythological figure Orion instead of the constellation (i.e. with hair and skin colors more typical of a human minifig), then a name like "ancient hunter" might be more fitting, since there could just as easily be other hunters from classical history and mythology with those same clothes and features. But as it is, a generic term like "constellation", "constellation guy", or "constellation hunter" would seem a bit silly to me, since it is very obviously NOT a generic constellation — the features and shield pattern specifically represent the constellation Orion.

EDIT: Also Orion and Medusa are not the only two outside the licensed series with proper names — another that springs to mind is Santa Claus!

Orion and Medusa are from mythology while Battle Goddess and Flying Warrior are based on Greek deities but don’t have actual names?

But Orion, Medusa, and Santa’s names don’t bother me anyways. 

jbspielwaren on instagram has detailed shots of all 12 characters uploaded - including disassembled so you can fully see all the elements. 

There are some pretty cool details visible in the pics that you can’t see in the official shots - like the head of the insectoid alien becomes transparent towards the back and the Ice Planet Explorer has a fur collar printed under her armor. They also confirm that the antennae and hair on the Robot Imposter are separate parts and the Retro Space Girl’s robot dog is sliver instead of grey (she also seems to have metallic eyeshadow, very chic). 

I don't care what TLG calls anything on their website - there's nothing written on the packaging or instructions of these, I'll call them whatever I want to.

Speaking of which, I always thought it was officially spelled "M:Tron" with a colon, not "M-Tron" with a hyphen.

Various websites tend to mostly use a dash/hyphen, you could say it's because the colon is not a valid character for file names. The logo has 2 offset triangles between the 'M' and the 'TRON', so I think using a colon is accurate. The catalogues had a colon.

In typical online style, the following page shows every possible manner of hedging-your-bets:

LEGO 6862 Secret M:Tron Space Voyager | Brickset