Sign in to follow this  
mirrorbricks

[TC25] 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator

Hey! This is my first contest, and I'm excited to shrink a giant excavator to... let's say less massive form. It is still more than 40 studs in length but I found some new parts from Sonic is quite suitable for pit digging. For now its just a proof of concept, but I hope to get these new parts in time to build it in real life, and maybe solve some Issues from the original set:pir-huzzah2: 
1128347923.png

Edited by mirrorbricks

1 minute ago, Thirdwigg said:

Whoa, how did you get that picture into the background of Studio. My mind is blown.

Yeah, I was wondering this too

18 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Whoa, how did you get that picture into the background of Studio. My mind is blown.

18 hours ago, captainmib said:

Yeah, I was wondering this too

You make a custom brick in part designer and import a decal texture onto it.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:54 PM, mirrorbricks said:

It going well, and the proof of concept totally passed:kahuka:
23469.png

How did you get a reference image directly in stud.io? 😮

13 hours ago, piterx said:

How did you get a reference image directly in stud.io? 😮

I think via Parts Designer where you can make a (big) custom part and apply a (big) custom sticker image.
Good idea to do that, especially if the front view is used to compare as in front view the 3D perspective is gone.

We could also comment on the excellent progress and interesting build :wink: I’m looking forward to more progress.  

I hope the reference in studio is not the most exited part of this project:pir-huzzah2: Btw here is some progress, the floating conveyor works well, unfortunately, there is no option to turn off this feature. The rotor with buckets and upper conveyor is good too, big thanks for the friends set, I get these incredible round lift arms super cheap. Thinking about adding a 2-speed gearbox for authenticity, and maybe a pullback motor that will power conveyors and the rotor, not sure this is a good idea, but we will see, counterweight is a must.

Definitely will make a short reel how to calculate dimensions for images and add them in part designer:pir-thumb:

23852357.png2343284.png

Looks good so far! The pullback-counterweight sounds awesome idea, would add nice way to demonstrate the functions without the need of constantly turning some know or whatever. It would also kind of replicate the original's motor/battery box as counterweight concept.

looks good. Will color scheme be the same?

For bucket wheel I needed to add some wheels also on bottom, so that is more fixed, otherway rotation was not smooth, it was jamming, jumping etc. Mine was this