Sign in to follow this  
Imano

[MOC] Medieval castle at Ghent "Gravensteen"

Hello, I'm Imano and 17 years old. For my thesis at school I recreated the castle Gravensteen in Ghent in Lego. This structure has about ten thousand bricks and it took me almost 2 years to build. The dimensions are 70 by 70 cm.

The link to an article in the newspaper (in dutch): https://www.hln.be/gent/10-000-steentjes-en-een-jaar-geduld-imano-17-bouwt-het-gravensteen-na-in-lego-voor-zijn-eindexamen-het-moeilijkste-het-thuis-van-de-trap-krijgen~a126014f/

IMG_20230502_195844_907IMG_20230502_195845_012IMG_20230502_195845_005IMG_20230502_195845_048IMG_20230502_195845_059

Edited by Imano

Beautifully done. I noticed you didn't include the proposed new entrance pavillion. :wink:

So I gather in a couple years you will need to find a new residence WITH elevator!

(tussen haakjes, het artikel waar je naar linkt ligt achter een abonneeblokkade, we kunnen alleen maar de intro lezen.)

I hope you received an excellent grade for this lovely project. A* from me! 

Thanks for sharing your work here. :sweet:

I visited Istanbul and saw a giant forest keep named "Yedikule Dungeons Museum" located south from theodosius walls of Constantinople.

Because of dark color and use of orange parts and round shape walls made me remind of that istanbul keep.

Also... Some characteristics of Byzantine walls.

Edited by royalstick

3 hours ago, royalstick said:

I visited Istanbul and saw a giant forest keep named "Yedikule Dungeons Museum" located south from theodosius walls of Constantinople.

Because of dark color and use of orange parts and round shape walls made me remind of that istanbul keep.

Also... Some characteristics of Byzantine walls.

Funny you would say that. It happens to be that the Count of Flanders that let the Gravensteen build as it (mostly) can be seen today used the Krak des Chevaliers in Syria as a template.

The son of said Count ended up as ruler of Constaninople after the Crusaders and Venetians sacked the city in 1204.

Edited by GeoBrick

Thank you all for the nice comments, it's nice to read them.

I am pleased that my work is appreciated by you all.

I'm also thinking about a next project, so nice and fun ideas are always welcome.

Very recognizable, although it's been ahes since I last visited it.

Well done!

23 hours ago, Imano said:

I'm also thinking about a next project, so nice and fun ideas are always welcome.

One of the many belfry in our country or France?

Very impressive build! Always nice to see a real castle build with bricks :thumbup: