RedBrick1

LEGO #21344 - Orient Express

The difference is if you consider the flange or not in the diameter. Lego large wheels are 30mm blind and 37mm flanged (in studio) In this case 30/3,2=#9. The tile unit is OK for me, but Lego prefer the stud unit. So again the XXL wheels, the 90840 are #15 including the flange or without?

12 hours ago, lego3057 said:

The difference is if you consider the flange or not in the diameter. Lego large wheels are 30mm blind and 37mm flanged (in studio) In this case 30/3,2=#9. The tile unit is OK for me, but Lego prefer the stud unit. So again the XXL wheels, the 90840 are #15 including the flange or without?

I think, well, rather, quite sure, that the sizes are counted for the wheel itself, not the flanges. When buying 3rd part wheels.

#15 wheels = 15,5 plates. Then flanges to it 1+1, a total of 17,5plates. They do not have grooves for O-rings.. 15,5plates= 6,2studs. With flanges counted 17,5plates=7studs.

I bought the crocodile. Questions is, will the Orient Express be interesting too?

16 hours ago, lego3057 said:

The flanges are never considered in the diameter. The humble Blind driver is probably the clearest example of why this is invariably the standard.

If you are after a #15 driver set, both blind and flanged will be #15.

Talking about the wheels: the studio building induced me in error: 90840 are actually bigger than XXL BBB wheels. But to add to the now solved confusion there is also LEGO dimensions, f.i. in Bricklink:  85489a (Large blind) is 30mm (so far so goog). 85489b (Large flanged) is 37mm (flange 7mm). And the new 90840 are 50mm, Do you see the contradiction? In one case they measure the whole wheel and in the other they don´t.

Edited by lego3057

34 minutes ago, lego3057 said:

Talking about the wheels: the studio building induced me in error: 90840 are actually bigger than XXL BBB wheels. But to add to the now solved confusion there is also LEGO dimensions, f.i. in Bricklink:  85489a (Large blind) is 30mm (so far so goog). 85489b (Large flanged) is 37mm (flange 7mm). And the new 90840 are 50mm, Do you see the contradiction? In one case they measure the whole wheel and in the other they don´t.

Aha, yes, I see what you are talking about. I did not realize that Bricklink/Studio listed the raw physical dimensions of some of the train wheels the way they do the technic wheels. From that direction I suppose that makes sense.

The M/L/XL/XXL nomenclature was created by train builders with the debut of Big Ben Bricks' train wheels, well before Lego's Emerald Night brought a similar offering. This naming convention is focused on the train wheels as train wheels first, and so the wheels are only referred to by their actual rolling diameter (flanges are not the 'tire' on rails). This system was the standard that all 3rd parties adhered to after that point; and LEGO themselves don't make enough different train wheels to need to care.

The new more modern system, the #15 etc, came because we train builders went a little bit... 'Extra' in pursuit of the 'proper' diameter wheels. What to call a driver that's somewhere between an XL and XXL, but closer to XL than XXL? Something like XLL? For a time, yeah, but that isn't intuitive. So we started switching to the number system with values that more clearly denote the wheel size - but still retain the focus on the "wheel" diameter as we did with L/XL/XXL system. 

Orient Express

Orient Express By Michal on Flickr

After seeing this, how am I not going to be disappointed for the upcoming LEGO version of the Orient Express.. :grin:

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG

Just built the Mould King one, it is fantastic, can highly recommend it. Am in the process of constructing some more cars and locomotives for it...

Yes, but I am waiting until it is cheaper 😉

What I am also thinking: rebuild the Mould King Trains with #13 XXL Wheels (except the Hogwarts, there the #11 XL are ok, in my opinion).

On 10/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Orient Express

Orient Express By Michal on Flickr

After seeing this, how am I not going to be disappointed for the upcoming LEGO version of the Orient Express.. :grin:

Different locomotive, but yes, I think it's inevitable... because the Ideas submission isn't really that good. 

Michal's Orient Express, has more than a few custom parts, atleast what I can see.

+ More display, than regular LEGO tracks. It is nice tho.

Unfortunately, the problem with Lego Ideas (at least recently) is that the sets with the best self-promotion tend to rise to the top. Sometimes these are also the best designs period. But a lot of the time, they're kinda... okay-ish (not bad... but not knock-your-socks-off quality, either). 

I have seen so many submissions over the years of just drop-dead gorgeous trains that wind up sputtering after a few thousand votes. But if someone puts together a good campaign spamming their design on Reddit and Youtube: blam. 10K reached. 

And I'm not saying that people shouldn't be proud of their work. But rather: I think the entire selection process is borked and frequently results in non-stellar creations making it through. And we, the buyers, are badly served by that, because we should want the best and most creative products possible (especially at the outrageous price points so many Designs sets wind up selling at).  

Edited by LordsofMedieval

There is a picture out online. It's a dark blue trakn with two wagons that seem to be 8 studs wide. 

I really like it.

1 minute ago, lego3057 said:

I just came across with this

391607116_10225025735303134_448284702837841101_n.jpg

It looks amazing !

I have the feeling it is 6 studs wide according to the pic in the middle of the last line