To me Rock Raiders is the greatest theme Lego has ever produced. The whole story they built up around it, the wide variety of bigger and smaller sets with the best color-palette to date makes for perfection.

Given my love for this theme I got curious  of what a "UCS" or V2.0 version would look like of these sets. So in this thread I will post my takes on what this could look like.

First out is my UCS Loader Dozer. I have restricted myself to only use Dark gray and Light gray to stay within the themes palette. While the designation "UCS" might be a bit of a stretch in this instance I want to point out that the set originally came with 85 parts, while this version comes in at 400 parts. So quite a lot more pieces than the original set at least.

I would love to hear what you think!

Lego Rock Raiders UCS Loader Dozer

Edited by -DoNe-

The colors and design fit well with the Rock Raiders theme. This would work well in the mines.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, Feuer Zug said:

The colors and design fit well with the Rock Raiders theme. This would work well in the mines.

Thanks. Keeping the industrial feel is one of the essential design aspects.

Next up is the Rapid Rider. Most definitely a very fun build given how small the set is and what my end goal was. It have gone from its initial 35 parts to a mighty (😉) 190 parts.

Lego Rock Raiders Rapid Rider UCS

Lego Rock Raiders Rapid Rider UCS

On 5/12/2023 at 3:00 AM, -DoNe- said:

To me Rock Raiders is the greatest theme Lego has ever produced. The whole story they built up around it, the wide variety of bigger and smaller sets with the best color-palette to date makes for perfection.

Given my love for this theme I got curious  of what a "UCS" or V2.0 version would look like of these sets. So in this thread I will post my takes on what this could look like.

First out is my UCS Loader Dozer. I have restricted myself to only use Dark gray and Light gray to stay within the themes palette. While the designation "UCS" might be a bit of a stretch in this instance I want to point out that the set originally came with 85 parts, while this version comes in at 400 parts. So quite a lot more pieces than the original set at least.

I would love to hear what you think!

This was my one Rock Raiders set and I love seeing it with all the brick-built elements replacing the many chonky custom molds.

The Loaderer Dozer have entered the world of real bricks. 

Lego Rock Raiders Loader Dozer MOC

Next model to recieve an overhaul is the Large Mobile Laser Cutter. A really cool vehicle that was sadly never released as a set but was playable in the game. I have made complete instructions for this model so if anyone is interested just send me a PM and I'll email them to you.

Lego Large Mobile Laser Cutter

@-DoNe-
What great updates for on of my favorite childhood themes!  I like what you have done mixing classic pieces and styling with a more modern and much sturdier-looking design.
I really like how solid and heavy the machines look in comparison to the originals, especially the update to the lower cockpit.

I have an extensive Rock Raiders collection with at least one of each of the standard-release sets (missing all Kabaya at this time...) plus a few extras of each vehicle, so I mostly build MOCs in the classic style with pieces available at the time the theme was released, but I recently started into updating classic sets (focusing on Adventurers right now) and these builds are wonderful inspiration when I get back to the Rock Raiders theme!

P.S. You may find R.R. Slugger's YouTube channel interesting if you like the Rock Raiders theme enough to make such nice updates!  Check it out if you like.  I'm not affiliated, just a fan of both his channel and the Rock Raiders theme as well as your work now!

Edited by Slegengr

On 10/2/2023 at 11:21 PM, Slegengr said:

@-DoNe-
What great updates for on of my favorite childhood themes!  I like what you have done mixing classic pieces and styling with a more modern and much sturdier-looking design.
I really like how solid and heavy the machines look in comparison to the originals, especially the update to the lower cockpit.

I have an extensive Rock Raiders collection with at least one of each of the standard-release sets (missing all Kabaya at this time...) plus a few extras of each vehicle, so I mostly build MOCs in the classic style with pieces available at the time the theme was released, but I recently started into updating classic sets (focusing on Adventurers right now) and these builds are wonderful inspiration when I get back to the Rock Raiders theme!

P.S. You may find R.R. Slugger's YouTube channel interesting if you like the Rock Raiders theme enough to make such nice updates!  Check it out if you like.  I'm not affiliated, just a fan of both his channel and the Rock Raiders theme as well as your work now!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I finally got my hands on set #4930 this year finishing up a complete collection of the widely released sets. I've also "accidentally" bought quite a few duplicates so I can keep one of each complete while taking apart the rest for MOCs. 

Adventures is definitely one of my favorite themes, up there with Rock Raiders and classic pirates. Haven't gotten around to make many MOC's in that theme tho, I'll keep a look-out for yours at least!

R.R. Slugger quickly became one of my favorites when it comes to Lego-media. Very entertaining and wonderfully nerdy. Have been subscribing to him for a solid 2 years now! 

On 10/4/2023 at 11:18 AM, -DoNe- said:

I've also "accidentally" bought quite a few duplicates so I can keep one of each complete while taking apart the rest for MOCs.

Very reasonable! I love that strategy. 😎

Edited by The Reader

On 11/23/2023 at 4:58 PM, LegoMathijs said:

Very great upgraded designs!  Well done!

I also follow R.R. Slugger. 

Thank you! 

Very much reasonable. He really makes quality content!

On 11/25/2023 at 12:03 PM, The Reader said:

Very reasonable! I love that strategy. 😎

It is a strategy most delightful.

Next up is the Tunnel Transport! My personal favorite vehicle from the game. My intentions was to smooth everything out a bit and unify the model, as the original have quite a smooth front section and rather bulky rear end. Personally I feel the redesign was a success.

Oh and it has lights.

Lego Tunnel Transport MOC