800x574.jpg

(Still at South Cothelstone Hall – still outside the room in which Sholmes and Dr. Sonwat are trapped.)

800x708.jpg

The Marquis quickly grabs the key and snickeringly unlocks the door.

800x964.jpg

Eager to save his friends, he rushes through the door.

800x660.jpg

Marquis: “Vous Vous Vous!”

Sholmes, relieved, jumps up in excitement: “Marquis! Just in the nick of time! Only you could climb the walls and sneak in through an open window.”

800x600.jpg

The Marquis nods, grinning wildly, seeming equally happy to see them.

Sholmes: “Let’s catch the false Thinkslow-Shootwell!”

Dr. Sonwat also leaps up to his feet while the Marquis in a swift motion both drops the key and draws his sword – and rushes forward through the open door!

800x529.jpg

Dr. Sonwat: “Let’s get him!”

800x1123.jpg

Searching for Dr. Thinkslow-Shootwell our heroes finally arrive in the basement:

800x600.jpg

Dr. Sonwat: “This is the strangest basement I have ever seen!”

Sholmes: “Apart from the cellars in ‘The Secret of the Mysterious Bottle’ and ‘The Curse of Lady Flubber’ I agree.”

800x598.jpg

Dr. Sonwat: “And what is this chemical apparatus for?”

Sholmes: “Might have something to do with all the rubber here.”

Dr. Sonwat: “Rubber?”

Sholmes: “Yes, it is here in this bucket. And over there too.
   And there is a mirror, mirror on the wall.

800x593.jpg

Dr. Sonwat: “And what are those heads in front of the mirror?”

Sholmes: “They are masks, my dear Hisham. This one on the right- that is not Lord Rushinthought’s real head – it is a mask.”
(to the Marquis:) "Stop making funny faces!"

Marquis: “Vous Vous Vous!”

Dr. Sonwat: “So this is what was used to get into Lord Rushinthought’s home unnoticed.”

Sholmes: “Yes. Someone wearing a mask of this quality could easily pass through as Lord Rushinthought himself. As long as he would keep quiet and not say a word.”

(Sonwat opens the large door)

800x839.jpg

Dr. Sonwat: “What will we find behind these mysterious massive doors?”

800x589.jpg

Sholmes: “This is what I will soon find out!”

(to be continued)

This episode's hidden song reference:

Spoiler

Sorry. This part was too exciting to include a song reference. Maybe you found one which was unintended :pir_laugh2:

The storyline so far: (The Adventure of the Horse Race Money)

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9 (you are here)

Chapter 10

Special thanks to Fraunces for pointing me to that mirror piece!

Reference Song :

Mirror mirror from Blind Guardian

" Mirror mirror on the wall
True hope lies beyond the coast "

The solution is outside ?

What is this painting near the chest ?

This manor is very similar to what should inhabit the doctor, with this secret lab...

Nice continuation of the story

Well, I bet the (tulip) farm in the last chapter and lost. (But, the jokes on you all: I never had a tulip farm in the first place! I just hope debtors prison isn't a thing in BoBS, otherwise I'm screwed! :pir-skel:)

...Anyway, fantastic work @Captain Braunsfeld! Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Ooh, that is a great basement, and an amazing looking aparatus, I hope we get to see how it works :pir-sweet:  I'm very curious now though, if this is the false Dr. Thinkslow Shootwell (a) does he think fast and shoot poorly, and (b) when did he take over the good doctor's basement so thoroughly :pir-grin:

7 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

I knew it!

Solid as ever. What is that portrait? I've seen its like somewhere.

The portrait is "A Young Woman Seating at the Virginals", 1660-1662 by Johannes Vermeer. Although it was disputed if its an Vermeer. And here comes Dr. Thinkslow-Shootwell.... :pir_laugh2:

20 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Special thanks to Fraunces for pointing me to that mirror piece!

No thanks amigo , happy to see it being put to good use in this next part of the story, i really like where you are ging with it! The basement really speaks of great creativity, in both building styles and storywise!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:39 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Reference Song :

Mirror mirror from Blind Guardian

" Mirror mirror on the wall
True hope lies beyond the coast "

The solution is outside ?

What is this painting near the chest ?

This manor is very similar to what should inhabit the doctor, with this secret lab...

Nice continuation of the story

Fine reference. For me, "mirror mirror on the wall" is linked to the  tale of Snow White. :pir-laugh:

On 3/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

The Vermeer painting in the basement shows that the false Thinkslow-Shootwell has a exquisite taste :pir_laugh2:

One seems to make a leaving as a bad guy...

On 4/1/2023 at 1:47 AM, Murdoch17 said:

Well, I bet the (tulip) farm in the last chapter and lost. (But, the jokes on you all: I never had a tulip farm in the first place! I just hope debtors prison isn't a thing in BoBS, otherwise I'm screwed! :pir-skel:)

...Anyway, fantastic work @Captain Braunsfeld! Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Not having a tulip farm does not go down well with licensing these days :pir-laugh:

14 hours ago, Fraunces said:

No thanks amigo , happy to see it being put to good use in this next part of the story, i really like where you are ging with it! The basement really speaks of great creativity, in both building styles and storywise!

Thanks. The mirror piece was just right for a story that is about masks..

On 4/1/2023 at 2:37 AM, Jeff of Clubs said:

I knew it!

Solid as ever. What is that portrait? I've seen its like somewhere.

Thanks. And your question has been answered above.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:02 AM, Garmadon said:

Ooh, that is a great basement, and an amazing looking aparatus, I hope we get to see how it works :pir-sweet:  I'm very curious now though, if this is the false Dr. Thinkslow Shootwell (a) does he think fast and shoot poorly, and (b) when did he take over the good doctor's basement so thoroughly :pir-grin:

Good questions. Do we get to see how the apparatus works? No :pir_wacko:

The cellar with the various utensils for making masks is very well equipped. Really nicely built.

The only person missing is Mr. Winterbottom from "The Crab and the Lobster". The thief probably looks like Mr. Winterbottom now.

6 hours ago, NOD said:

The cellar with the various utensils for making masks is very well equipped. Really nicely built.

The only person missing is Mr. Winterbottom from "The Crab and the Lobster". The thief probably looks like Mr. Winterbottom now.

Thanks. And well observed!

I'm enjoying all the references to cases we've never heard of before... some of them sound very intriguing.  The Curse of Lady Flubber... with a strange basement?  I want to read that one!

Speaking of basements, I love the scientific vials and stuff in this one!

The Curse of Lady Flubber - I guess that would involve some MOCs that would be quite difficult to build...

Feel free to write the story :pir_laugh2: