Sign in to follow this  
jtooker

Goh 10 A: Kaliphlin District of Cedrica

Kaliphlin District of Cedrica

Cedrica is a melting pot for all of Historica’s guilds. Life is busy on this warm day in the Kaliphlin district. Ladies enjoy drinks at the café while merchants haggle on the streets. Kaliphlin soldiers patrol these canals to make sure the right sort of justice is enforced.

Merchants, Soldiers and Ladies

Merchants, Soldiers and Ladies

I created this 32x32 module for the Guilds of Historica final 10th Anniversary Challenge: “Life in Cedrica” category. This was a great way to bring a Kaliphlinian look to another setting while building out a bit Cedrica’s lore outside the palace.

View from Behind

View from Behind

Roof Architecture

Roof Architecture

This is really cool, making me wish I had thought of this combo!  You really captured both styles very well, and there are some pretty neat details too--I especially love the dark red triangle tiles and both roof styles!

Nice work! I like the idea of 'districts' in the capital city (makes sense, right?), and you did a nice fusion of Kali here. I like your color blocking on various levels, and the 1/2 stud offset on the tan tower adds a lot of definition.  Your roofwork and gables are stellar and look very realistic.  The lady in lavender really stands out to me and looks rather modern with that haircut, but it might work better if I could see the torso print.  Overall, a really beautiful build, and it's nice to see the lion knights back again!

These roofs are phenomenal! 
Lovely to see you were able to build a 3 act story in a single build.
The Italian-Spanish-Villa style is breathtaking. 
Amazing work, sire Tooker. 

This is fantastic! The tan building especially stands out to me, it has lots of details I really like such as the upside down cones used in the bottom arches, the half stud offset that looks really nice, and the transition to the wooden section, which I think looks super cool! I also like the brick built boat, the windowsill/ flower holders ( what piece is that?) , and the funny details like the monkey hanging from the tree :laugh:

On 3/31/2023 at 9:08 AM, Kai NRG said:

This is really cool, making me wish I had thought of this combo!  You really captured both styles very well, and there are some pretty neat details too--I especially love the dark red triangle tiles and both roof styles!

Thanks!  I had fun building it.  I'm glad you like the dark red triangles - they were a late addition and turned out well.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:46 PM, Grover said:

Nice work! I like the idea of 'districts' in the capital city (makes sense, right?), and you did a nice fusion of Kali here. I like your color blocking on various levels, and the 1/2 stud offset on the tan tower adds a lot of definition.  Your roofwork and gables are stellar and look very realistic.  The lady in lavender really stands out to me and looks rather modern with that haircut, but it might work better if I could see the torso print.  Overall, a really beautiful build, and it's nice to see the lion knights back again!

Thank you for all of the feedback!  I wish I remember where I got the roof techniques from, but I did them mostly from memory.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:17 PM, Louis of Nutwood said:

These roofs are phenomenal! 
Lovely to see you were able to build a 3 act story in a single build.
The Italian-Spanish-Villa style is breathtaking. 
Amazing work, sire Tooker. 

Thank you very much!  I'm glad you enjoy the roofs, I wish I remember who did these techniques originally.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, LordDan said:

This is fantastic! The tan building especially stands out to me, it has lots of details I really like such as the upside down cones used in the bottom arches, the half stud offset that looks really nice, and the transition to the wooden section, which I think looks super cool! I also like the brick built boat, the windowsill/ flower holders ( what piece is that?) , and the funny details like the monkey hanging from the tree :laugh:

I liked how the tan building came out too.  I was too ambitious with what I wanted to try on the right building and it didn't come out quite as well.  The flower holders are 1x3 boxes, element 6310366.

Love how these turned out, especially the rooves (I know they've been mentioned, but they look so good together!) 

So much to admire in this Kaliphlin district :wub:

The overall layout works nicely to give us a good view of the structures and streets, and I like how you rounded off one corner of the stone foundations.

Super use of half stud and SNOT offsets to lend visual interest to the architecture within minimal space. The tall tan tower and wooden upper floor using triangle tiles are my favorite sections :thumbup:

You've captured the Kaliphlin feel perfectly. It's also a nice touch to dedicate a whole district to a guild, which makes sense. Also nice details and color combinations. I really like the use of the dark red triangular tile on the woodwork!