Ben11

Spirograph and drawing generator

Hello everyone,
The spirograph is a machine that allows you to draw geometrical figures. As some of you, I wanted to create my own version. However, I wanted to offer more than only a machine. With this, a drawing configurator in excel is available. It is thus possible to choose which figure you want to draw and then configure the spirograph machine. 

Forum08.jpg

The spirograph allows to generate more than a thousand different geometrical drawings. Different configurations include :
- 1 switch (left or right position) for 2 modes
- A 5-speed gearbox for the rotation of the plate
- The change of plate rotation 
- A 6-speed gearbox arm rotation speed
- 6 fixing positions on each arm
- 66 intersection combinations between 2 arms
- 15 different marker positions.

Forum03.jpg

Forum14.jpg

Forum5.jpg

Forum09.jpg

With the Spirograph Drawer, just modify the parameters (Position, Gear, Angle and/or Switch) to obtain a new figure. As soon as your choice is made, set the parameters of the spirograph machine. Furthermore, know the progress of your drawing with the counter. You can stop the spirograph on time when it’s finished.

Download Spirograph Drawer here

Forum20.jpg

Forum15.png

Forum17.png

Forum18.png

This spirograph is also designed to teach the 5 steps of SMED (Single Minute Exchange of Dies). 

And finally inside the spirograph

Forum26.jpg

Forum27.jpg

Forum31.jpg

Building instructions, the Spirograph Drawer and the SMED training module are available on the website: https://www.linktheorytopractice.com/product/spirograph-diy/ 

Best Regards

Edited by Milan
Rearanged one picture to make it fit for frontpaging

Wow, this is nothing short of amazing, I can only imagine the amount of time it took to design and actually make work.

Amazing work. I love the simulator too, it's great to see someone else building spirographs again!

Well. I must admit:

I was looking for the EV3 than for the Spike thingies. Nowhere to be seen. Onto the 4port PUp hub - no. Ahh - there it is: Impressive, all done with the 2 port PUp hub! Must be programmed in Pybrick-Next-Generation-V.

Then I looked closer - no, this in no hub: It is a dumb battery box - also not true - as this is a fantastic battery box (#8878) - and two XL motors ... and then - after some moments others call minutes - it finally made "click" up there - this is purely mechanical!

Fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Everything. The dials, how they work, the mechanism, wow.

Congratulations - and thank you even more so for the instructions - they are worth every 1499 cent!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Incredible MOC and I'm really interested to build. I downloaded the bill of material from the website and tried to access the DIY links to check what parts I'm missing. The Bricklink link would not work for me and the Brickowl link says the list is not public. Is there another way to share list of parts for easy checking?

21 hours ago, nigel1975 said:

Incredible MOC and I'm really interested to build. I downloaded the bill of material from the website and tried to access the DIY links to check what parts I'm missing. The Bricklink link would not work for me and the Brickowl link says the list is not public. Is there another way to share list of parts for easy checking?

For the bill of material, the Brickowl link is now public

https://www.brickowl.com/wishlist/view/Ben11/lttp-spirograph-diy