Sign in to follow this  
Simon_S

GoH 10C: The Monastery

Chapter 1: A Mitgardian Adventure https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/191046-a-mitgardian-adventure/

Chapter 2: Meeting with Haldor, the Master Builder of Bridges https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/191588-meeting-with-haldor-the-master-builder-of-bridges/

Chapter 3: The Hideout https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192000-the-hideout/

Chapter 4: The Cake https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192047-the-cake/

Chapter 5: New Belynia https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192687-goh-10-b-new-belynia/

Chapter 6: Meet Hallad, the half frozen Berserk https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192959-goh-10c-meet-hallad-the-half-frozen-berserk/

Chapter 7: The Frog King https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/193043-the-frog-king/

52636538752_6d58099d2b_b.jpg

52637049406_7614ca6db2_b.jpg

So in the last chapter Simon met Greta, the beautiful princess, who earlier lived as the frog king. They decided to marry, so they knew they had to look out for a priest. So they headed north, back to Mitgardia. Simon has heard of a beautiful and peaceful monastery, where they could surely find a priest. After a long walk and many nice talks, Simon and Greta finally arrived at the monastery.

Greta: Wow it looks beautiful here. The grass is so bright.

Simon: Yes. And everything is so peaceful. Can you hear the birds sing?

Greta: And have you seen that woolly sheep? I would love to cuddle one of it. And the rabbits who try to steal the carrots? It's such a perfect place. We should marry here.

Simon: I think that's a great idea. Come, let's get closer and meet a priest.

52637531353_0b08c7b572_b.jpg

Father Gottfried: Welcome my Son. What a pleasure to have you here! Come and see how good...

He couldn't finish his salutation... Simon interrupted him.

Simon: Father Gottfried! What are you doing here?

Father Gottfried: Oh my son. That's a long story. You've been away for a long time. Many things happend. And while you were on your adventures, you missed a lot. But who is this lady on your side?

Great: Good Day, Father Gottfried. My name is Great, and I was a Frog King for many years, until Simon came as a brave hero and rescued me. Now we want to marry and start a life together.

Simon: Exactly. And that's why we're here. We were looking for a priest who could help us with our wedding.

Father Gottfried: Oh this is surely a good day. Praise God for he let my old eyes see how Simon found a wife! I will help you with your wedding, ... he stuttered for a moment... but I first must talk wilth Simon in private...

Simon knew Father Gottfried. And he rarely heard this voice and he expected that this didn't meen good news. They went on the balcony together, where Father Gottfried started weeping.

Simon: What's wrong, Father Gottfried?

52637493685_a964b0337f_b.jpg

Father Gottfried: I remember you, when you were a young child. Then I saw you grow up and finally I gave you my blessing to go on an adventure. I remember that day you left. You went on your journey to proof your dignity to inherit your fathers sheep flock... again he startet to stutter... and he had tears in his eyes... his hands were shaking and his face was all sweaty. Then he said it: ... but it all doesn't matter anymore, son. Your father is dead. And your mother too. And all of your friends. The whole village got burned down. They destroyed my church. I was lucky enough to escape. I fled and came to this monastery where I found a new community and a new home.

Simon: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father Gottfried: I'm so sorry.

Simon: Who was it? Who did all this terrible things?

Father Gottfried: The trolls. We all knew they lived up in the mountains. And we were fine with it. We never thought that they would come down. We felt secure in our village. It all happened on one day. There were only a few survivors.

Simon: I must do something against it. I will go and fight the trolls. Give me your blessing Father and I will go to war.

Father Gottfired: You should marry first. It could be to late afterwards...

52637048281_cb8f6163d2_b.jpg

And so it came, that Greta and Simon married on that day. In that beautiful monastery. In that peaceful ambiente. After they heard the terrible news.

Simon: I will leave now and free the country from the trolls. I will drive them back to the mountains and establish peace in Mitgardia. I will get my revenge.

Greta: And I will join you. 

Father Gottfried: Princess Greta, we talk about trolls. They are ugly. And dirty. And mean. And they would totally love to eat a beautiful princess like you. War against the trolls isn't your destiny.

Greta: How could I leave the man I love? And how could I not give my life for him, when he saved mine?

Father Gottfried: That are some wise words. Wait here, We have some old equipment in the cellar. We will find something that fits you. And I'll get a sword for myself. You know, I have been in many battles before I became a monk. I will accompany you two and help you to fight the trolls back.

52637530983_5c0705fdaf_b.jpg

So the three left, fully armed and prepared to meet the trolls.

To be continued...

So this is my latest MOC. I actually built this during my paternity leave - we get two weeks in Switzerland, which is a pretty good thing. Until last year it was just one day. I didn't really expect to have much time, but since our son wanted to be carried in a wrap until early in the morning, this gave me the opporunity to moc again :-). Most of this was built between midnight and 4 am. Btw. expection our son was also the reason why I had to finish and post New Belynia quite early, long before the deadline of the contest ;-).

The part which I like the best about the build is the round window with the wheel. I think it turned out really cool.

52636538902_df96eba81f_b.jpg

This MOC was inspired by a Game called Die Fürsten von Catan, which is illustrated by Michael Menzel. This guy is a genius. And his drawings have been an inspiration for many of my builds. Here you can see what inspired this MOC:

image.jpeg.d7a0182a251bcc6874c144f26a28aaf8.jpeg

While building this, I also found out that Simon Hundsbichler made a LEGO version of this in 2017. I'll show you a picture here just because I really like to see what too builders have done using the same source of inspiration. I love this build of him... it's totally crazy and inspiring.

32143196554_198a3ccbcd_b.jpg

So if you've really made it this far lol I can only thank you for looking and reading. Have a nice day and brick on! - Simon

Lovely build and interpretation of the card from the game! The overgrown fence and the rounded tiles as irregular beams in the facades are probably my favorites here :classic:

(Different rules for parental leave despite the names of the countries regularly getting mixed up, here we get 10 days at a kid's birth...and each parent is expected to take at least 90 out of the 480 days parental leave in total, which is in addition to the first 10 "father days")

Neat build! I especially like the brown / nougat / lime colors and all the flowers and vegetables.

I don’t know this extension of Catan… I will definitely have to look after, at least to see the other drawings.

I immediately thought of Simon H's MOC when I saw this, and I don't know about you, but if anyone told me they thought of Simon H's stuff when they saw mine I'd take that as a big compliment, I definitely mean it that way. :grin:  This is great, I love the nougat colors in the wall, the round window, the boats, and the bright flowers!  It's a very cheerful build!  And congrats on your new son! :excited:

On 1/23/2023 at 5:43 PM, Gideon said:

Lovely build and interpretation of the card from the game! The overgrown fence and the rounded tiles as irregular beams in the facades are probably my favorites here :classic:

(Different rules for parental leave despite the names of the countries regularly getting mixed up, here we get 10 days at a kid's birth...and each parent is expected to take at least 90 out of the 480 days parental leave in total, which is in addition to the first 10 "father days")

Thank you :-). Yes Switzerland isn't really good when it's about parental leave... we only get the first 10 days - which is still much better than just one day like they got a year ago here.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, Sympatik Brick said:

Neat build! I especially like the brown / nougat / lime colors and all the flowers and vegetables.

I don’t know this extension of Catan… I will definitely have to look after, at least to see the other drawings.

Thank you :-). It's a version / card game which you can only play with two players. I like it much better than the original board game.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:55 PM, Kai NRG said:

I immediately thought of Simon H's MOC when I saw this, and I don't know about you, but if anyone told me they thought of Simon H's stuff when they saw mine I'd take that as a big compliment, I definitely mean it that way. :grin:  This is great, I love the nougat colors in the wall, the round window, the boats, and the bright flowers!  It's a very cheerful build!  And congrats on your new son! :excited:

Haha yes his builds are so inspirational! thank you for the kind words!

On 1/25/2023 at 4:45 PM, W Navarre said:

That's awesome how it's the same inspiration as that MOC! You did a sweet job, great use of lime for the pasture. 

thank you :-)

This is a beautiful monastery with a garden! I really like the different flowers and plants.

Excellent build! The monastery looks great, but what really catches my eye is the vegetation! I love all the different crops in the garden and it really feels like it’s thriving and overflowing over the fence. Really feels super organic! I also really like the little detail of the cat with the splattered bird egg :grin:

Wow, what a spectacular build!  I think you made some improvements over your idol! The stained glass wagon wheel window is brilliant, and your combination of the curved tiles and the plate shading/patterns is great.  I love the lush vegetation, and the brick built sheep are adorable.  You do a nice job using that lime green as grass.  I think that's hard to pull off well, and your choice of colors works. I particularly like the nougat to brown base under the grass. It has a very realistic feel to it. The trees are nice, and the explosion of bluebirds in them is hilarious!  I also appreciate that you have a continuing story.  I'm enjoying the exploits of Simon!

On 1/30/2023 at 4:26 AM, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

This looks incredible!

thank you!

On 1/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, NOD said:

This is a beautiful monastery with a garden! I really like the different flowers and plants.

thank you :-)

On 2/14/2023 at 12:52 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

Beautiful work Simon! It looks like such a peaceful retreat!

thanks man!

On 2/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, Ecclesiastes said:

Stunning allover! Love that tree at the monastery and the details on the houses!

thank you :-). I first actually just wanted to do the house without the garden so that it would look more like an official lego set... but then I couldn't resist to add some foilage and plants.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:27 PM, LordDan said:

Excellent build! The monastery looks great, but what really catches my eye is the vegetation! I love all the different crops in the garden and it really feels like it’s thriving and overflowing over the fence. Really feels super organic! I also really like the little detail of the cat with the splattered bird egg :grin:

thank you :-). Yeah I first wanted to do just the building... and then totally got carried away with the garden. I just got the birds and the egg from the BaM station in our lego shop and wanted to use them :-).

On 2/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, Grover said:

Wow, what a spectacular build!  I think you made some improvements over your idol! The stained glass wagon wheel window is brilliant, and your combination of the curved tiles and the plate shading/patterns is great.  I love the lush vegetation, and the brick built sheep are adorable.  You do a nice job using that lime green as grass.  I think that's hard to pull off well, and your choice of colors works. I particularly like the nougat to brown base under the grass. It has a very realistic feel to it. The trees are nice, and the explosion of bluebirds in them is hilarious!  I also appreciate that you have a continuing story.  I'm enjoying the exploits of Simon!

thank you :-). I actually just found out that Simon Hundsbichler did something similar when I was almost finished. thanks for the kind words! you noticed so many details!

Very nice, I like how the roofs are still showing all the studs. Something that you rarely see these days, but it fits the style. I also really like the subtle color change around the woodwork with dark orange. And that cartwheel window is excellent!