Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, Otherworld said:

I must confess I was scared to see the remaining 14 figures but holy moly, this is my favorite series so far! 

Excellent set, I agree. 

If they could not execute a character well, they should not have made it. 

They should not have made Baymax a CMF. He looks deflated.

3 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

The princesses, the evil queen and dr facilier are my favourites! 

Can’t wait to put these new ones next to my season 2 figures - in the past I got Hercules, Hades, Elsa, Anna and Jafar

Agree!

So, we are still missing: Snow White + 7 dwarves; Beauty and Beast; Cinderella.

Snow White is *rumored* to be getting a set. But how about Beauty and the Best? Cinderella???

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Excellent series. I love all of those minifigures.

I think it does a really god job of showing the variety of Disney projects, works really well for 100 Years of Wonder.

Except for Baymax. :( lol

I am happy they decided to do 18 for this set. We will always get bad eggs, and in this case, I feel like there were two wasted slots:

Baymax for the poor execution in translating him to minifig form.

Stitch only because he already came out in a CMF before. We should have gotten Lilo. Or they could have placed Lilo and this version of Stitch in a separate small set. They probably just wanted to reuse the double arm and ensure it would sell "well".

Edited by hikouki

Does Baymax have new arms or new click-ons as arms? Those arms or pieces intrigue me. 
someone on insta is thinking that some of the torsos are shorter than the usual (jimini and prine John), i don’t expect them to be, but it would be something

52 minutes ago, Borex said:

Is that a thing? What movies are also in that Dark Age because i really liked Robin Hood (i always wanted to be that small stupid vulture with its crossbow for some reason x-D)

Besides Robin Hood, most chroniclers classify The Aristocats, The Rescuers, and The Fox and the Hound in that era. It's not that the films are necessarily bad per se--The Rescuers consistently gets good reviews and Robin Hood somehow manages to be much greater than the sum of its parts for people who got into it as children (such as you, and also me), but the company was flailing in the absence of decisive central leadership during that period and becoming much more timid about its art. Budgets shrank to the point where reusing animation from previous films, once a sparingly used time-saver, became an absolute necessity just to finish a film (the prime example being our beloved Robin Hood), and they were only able to release an animated feature about every 4 years. The live-action division, as @Murdoch17 points out, was even worse off, with more movies being produced but almost every one of them utterly forgettable.

In 1985, they tried to pull out of the slump with The Black Cauldron, a big-budget fantasy that brought animation back up to a high standard of quality but unfortunately missed the boat on literally everything else--clumsy script, dull characters, no songs, and a blank of a background score (despite bringing Elmer Bernstein on as the composer). Fortunately, the next year brought The Great Mouse Detective, which scaled back the animation a little in favor of going ham on fun characters, a tight story, and all that other good stuff. The Disney Renaissance proper began in 1989 with The Little Mermaid, but Cauldron and Detective aren't quite part of the post-Walt slump. The one is too ambitious and the other too all-around competent to qualify. That transitional period also saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a hybrid live-action/animation project which has never been eclipsed as far as the seamlessness of its medium blending. Disney got their groove back in fits and starts and tbh when I watch Mermaid nowadays, I can tell which sequences had the effort lavished on them and which proceeded at about the same low-medium level of craft as the previous era.

6 minutes ago, Borex said:

Does Baymax have new arms or new click-ons as arms? Those arms or pieces intrigue me. 
someone on insta is thinking that some of the torsos are shorter than the usual (jimini and prine John), i don’t expect them to be, but it would be something

Baymax’ arms look like new moulds. I’d hold out on any assessments of relevant sizes from the sources we already have - as a packet and an unfolded leaflet are already a bit skewed! We have also seen this before where relative sizes look off in renderings. 

53 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Robin and Prince John are just so perfect :pir-love: I´d love a set like the Winnie Pooh one of this sceene :)

Not to mention they could reuse Little John's head for Baloo (or the other way around). Disney themselves reused some of the animation after all. Only thing they need to do is make a hole in the head for the hat.

2 minutes ago, Borex said:

New arms. And the torsos do indeed seem shorter, I noticed that too, but I think that's just an error or an angle issue. It would be very weird to give Prince John a shorter torso. And for Jiminy I think he looks shorter because of the short legs. It just looks odd because they are rendered as if they're moveable, making them look like the mid legs instead.

11 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Wait a minute... are there no Tail pieces on Robin and John ?:look:

Yeah I wondered about that - surely at least Robin should have one …

I love that they're reusing that particular skirt piece for the Queen of Hearts and she has her heart scepter. I like the additions to Cruella as well with a fur piece around her neck and her purse most of all because that exclusion was really bothering me. Although still disappointed that Patch's coloring is off.

Pocahontas looks incredible with windswept hair and leaves. I love Oswald, Pinocchio, Jiminy, Mickey, and the Robin Hood and Coco characters as well.

I have very mixed feelings on Aurora. I think I need to see more pics of her in different lightings or angles but her hair seems way too short for her and the generic crown doesn't suit her. The shade of pink used for her also seems too light which is why I would have preferred the blue dress or Briar Rose dress. The Prince Phillip in the Maleficent set is in his forest outfit which means he won't match with pink dress Aurora and you can't accurately recreate the scene where he kisses her. I do like that they took the HP owl mold and used that for her owl.

Stitch still looks incomplete to me without his antenna. Baymax looks quite awful as well so he's an easy skip.

The Evil Queen, I'm still confused as to why she has a visible underskirt or a line down her torso. Very weird choices for what should be a very simple design. But I like the Magic Mirror which will replace the one in my Cinderella Castle.

Overall, I'll be getting all the classic Disney characters from Oswald to Pocahontas. Stitch is the only new character I would have made an exception for but I'm not interested now. I'm not a huge Pixar fan but Coco was one of their better recent original movies so I wouldn't mind getting the minifigures for that. I just hope Aurora and the Queen look better as we get more shots of them.

Edited by JeanGreyForever

Oooooh, I did not expect the figures to leak so early. Most of those look amazing, really the only weak one is Baymax - his upper body really should be done with a large mould. Or just don't do it at all and include Lilo to go with now two Stitches, smh. Other minor nitpicks:

Dante - ugh, this standard dog mould does not fit at all, what's more Lego did make a fitting piece once - Santa's Little Helper is very close in shape with only a bit too big eyes.

Jiminy as a non human character should have a custom moulded head, but nonetheless looks OK. Love the new hat piece

Cruella is a bit underwhelming, but I'm aware her magnificent fur coat must've been difficult to recreate on a minifigure. Also the dalmatian could've been done a bit better

Pocahontas, as much as I'm amazed Lego actually went there, her face is too cutesy. I don't understand why some characters can have a face resembling the original cartoon style like Queen of Hearts here or Hades in series 2, while others have normal Lego faces. Dear Lego designers, please be more consistent!

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

OH MY GOD HE DOES HAVE A NOSE WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN

THATS WHAT IM SAYIN. I’m inclined to believe that his head and hat is all just 1 new piece/mold, but if it isn’t…. I’d be even more confused. Between the avatar head molds and this, they technically could start making minifigure heads with both ears and noses 😳, not that they would or should.

2 minutes ago, Nylock said:

THATS WHAT IM SAYIN. I’m inclined to believe that his head and hat is all just 1 new piece/mold, but if it isn’t…. I’d be even more confused. Between the avatar head molds and this, they technically could start making minifigure heads with both ears and noses 😳, not that they would or should.

IF its one single piece, it's only inteded for Pinocchio.

But now, if the hat and the head are different molds, it implies they want to reuse the pieces, right?

Imagine if they’d made Aurora a ‘chase’ figure .. blue dress or pink dress .. with no way of knowing which one it was until you opened it 😱😂

5 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Imagine if they’d made Aurora a ‘chase’ figure .. blue dress or pink dress .. with no way of knowing which one it was until you opened it 😱😂

Don't even THINK that. If that turns out to be true, move someplace untraceable, never go online again, and don't forget to fake your own death. Otherwise, LEGO, Disney, and LEGO Disney fans will eat you ALIVE! The Mr. Gold figure was bad enough of a fiasco...

Just kidding. (kinda)

Edited by Murdoch17

@Murdoch17 😂😂 maybe ‘Blue Aurora’ might have a different accessory .. the owl is a strange choice for Pink Aurora as she doesn’t really interact with the forest critters in Princess form .. only as Briar Rose 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lovely looking series. I won't be getting all of them, but they generally look really good, and do pleased that it is a full 18 characters.

Cruella looks much better than the original leaked image, as does the Queen to a certain extent.

I really tried to be positive, but to be honest this is just underwhelming... In series 23 it felt really cheap, that they did not print the wolf´s tailpiece blue on 3 sites like they did it for uncle Scrooge. Same for Speedy in the Looney Toons. This time they avoid to make this embarassing mistake by just leaving the existing moulds away for Robin and John. Awesome. Raise this person´s salary.

There are so many unnecessary bad choices that don´t even save money. Like why on Earth did they give Mulan the Gladiator short sword? It is clearly meant to be Shan Yu´s, which has the exact same blade as the mould from those Raya-Princess-Sets. At least give her that one in grey...

Baymax is one of the worst minifigures I ever saw. The only thing good about him would be, if Lego reuses his arms for a Popeye minifigure.

2 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

I love that they're reusing that particular skirt piece for the Queen of Hearts and she has her heart scepter. I like the additions to Cruella as well with a fur piece around her neck and her purse most of all because that exclusion was really bothering me. Although still disappointed that Patch's coloring is off.

Pocahontas looks incredible with windswept hair and leaves. I love Oswald, Pinocchio, Jiminy, Mickey, and the Robin Hood and Coco characters as well.

I have very mixed feelings on Aurora. I think I need to see more pics of her in different lightings or angles but her hair seems way too short for her and the generic crown doesn't suit her. The shade of pink used for her also seems too light which is why I would have preferred the blue dress or Briar Rose dress. The Prince Phillip in the Maleficent set is in his forest outfit which means he won't match with pink dress Aurora and you can't accurately recreate the scene where he kisses her. I do like that they took the HP owl mold and used that for her owl.

Stitch still looks incomplete to me without his antenna. Baymax looks quite awful as well so he's an easy skip.

The Evil Queen, I'm still confused as to why she has a visible underskirt or a line down her torso. Very weird choices for what should be a very simple design. But I like the Magic Mirror which will replace the one in my Cinderella Castle.

Overall, I'll be getting all the classic Disney characters from Oswald to Pocahontas. Stitch is the only new character I would have made an exception for but I'm not interested now. I'm not a huge Pixar fan but Coco was one of their better recent original movies so I wouldn't mind getting the minifigures for that. I just hope Aurora and the Queen look better as we get more shots of them.

People over at the Super Mario boards are excited about this Pink Aurora - they are saying she would make for a good Princess Peach!!! LOL

Compare the initial Evil Queen leak with that line you are saying, then this on the leaflet. That line on the torso appears to be gone and she has a design on the chest. Also, the black belt/ tassel has been replaced with the correct red ones!

Totally agree with you on Stitch. The least they could have done is add antennae to make it worth it. That just ended up wasting a slot, like with the botched up Baymax.

1 hour ago, BenderBrau said:

Pocahontas, as much as I'm amazed Lego actually went there, her face is too cutesy. I don't understand why some characters can have a face resembling the original cartoon style like Queen of Hearts here or Hades in series 2, while others have normal Lego faces. Dear Lego designers, please be more consistent!

Perhaps there were multiple designers working on this project?

1 hour ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Could the rumored 19th figure of the CMF series that's supposed to be a princess be a blue dress variant for Aurora?

Goodness, no!!!

If there were a chase figure, wouldn't that have been on the leaflet as well?

1 hour ago, Jarreth2 said:

@Murdoch17 😂😂 maybe ‘Blue Aurora’ might have a different accessory .. the owl is a strange choice for Pink Aurora as she doesn’t really interact with the forest critters in Princess form .. only as Briar Rose 🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly.

I believe the pink dress appears on the poster with Maleficent. Perhaps this is the reason for the choice of color, given there was a Maleficent CMF?

https://movies.disney.com/sleeping-beauty

And looking at that poster, could we possibly see the three Fairies possibly made into minifigs at some point?

Edited by hikouki

5 minutes ago, hikouki said:

People over at the Super Mario boards are excited about this Pink Aurora - they are saying she would make for a good Princess Peach!!! LOL

Compare the initial Evil Queen leak with that line you are saying, then this on the leaflet. That line on the torso appears to be gone and she has a design on the chest. Also, the black belt/ tassel has been replaced with the correct red ones!

Totally agree with you on Stitch. The least they could have done is add antennae to make it worth it. That just ended up wasting a slot, like with the botched up Baymax.

Goodness, no!!!

If there were a chase figure, wouldn't that have been on the leaflet as well?

I believe the pink dress appears on the poster with Maleficent. Perhaps this is the reason for the choice of color?

https://movies.disney.com/sleeping-beauty

And looking at that poster, could we possibly see the three Fairies possibly made into minifigs?

She really does look more like Princess Peach than Aurora. Another issue is that in the movie, Aurora never has any of her golden locks thrown over her shoulders whereas the minifigure hair does have some of her hair over the shoulder. Her hair is always drawn as flowing behind her back. I'd much rather the golden crown have been molded onto her hair rather than a separate, generic piece since Aurora's crown is pretty distinctive. They did a great job with the Evil Queen's crown so not sure why they dropped the ball on Aurora's crown. The white collar is also annoying because that's how it looks in merchandise for her, but in the movie the collar is either a very pale shade of blue or pink depending on what her dress color is. I never understood the need to make it white which really sticks out.

I always assumed it was the lighting on the first leaked image of the Queen that made the tassels appear black rather than red. In the CMF promo image, her underskirt appears to be even lighter but that may also be because of the lighting of the image. I still see a faint line on her torso though that goes straight down the middle, like in the original leaked image, which is funny since while Snow White does have a golden line down her torso, the Queen shouldn't have any line.

Imo if they can't successfully make the character look accurate, then they shouldn't bother at all, which applies to both Stitch and Baymax here. We could easily have gotten Lilo instead of a 2nd Stitch. And I saw on Reddit that someone pointed out that Stitch's shade of blue has been wrong since his first minifigure. I didn't notice it until now but it's true that in the movie he's a very dark blue whereas he's a paler shade of blue in his minifigures.

Aurora only appears in pink in merchandise and promotion because Disney was afraid two blonde princesses in blue would confuse children. Never mind the fact that Cinderella is neither blonde nor does she wear blue but because a silvery white dress doesn't sell to children, they darkened up her dress and lightened her hair to make her the Cinderella we know today which meant Aurora's dress had to change colors to make her differ. In the movie, she only wears pink in the final scene when she's dancing with Prince Phillip and we only get far-away shots of her from a distance that way. I'm not a fan of chase figures but I'd gladly take one here so we can have an Aurora who actually resembles the movie.

As for the Three Good Fairies, in the survey for the Maleficent dragon set, I did mention that for the price they should go ahead and add the fairies as minifigures. I can't imagine we'll get another chance at them besides the set.

The initial Evil Queen leak doesn’t seem to be ‘finished’, some printing seems to be missing when you compare it to the one on the leaflet ( albeit a poor quality image ) the face also looks different .. and I doubt she’ll have a double sided head as the back could be visible 

40 minutes ago, Surge said:

where is this rumor of a 19th figure coming from?

When list of characters first leaked some time back, someone posted on here that there would be "another princess". I cannot remember if that was the right wording. Many took it to mean that it was Moana being a new minifig we have not had before. Some interpreted it to mean there would be a chase figure.

12 minutes ago, hikouki said:

When list of characters first leaked some time back, someone posted on here that there would be "another princess". I cannot remember if that was the right wording. Many took it to mean that it was Moana being a new minifig we have not had before. Some interpreted it to mean there would be a chase figure.

Didn't the wording also include something about being a 19th figure or was that something that was misconstrued?