Peppermint_M

LEGO Monkie Kid 2023

Are we expecting to see the new Monkie Kid sets soon? I don't remember if we've heard the release month (I assume June or August?) but I'm always curious to see what they cook up with this theme.

Just now, Meadius said:

Are we expecting to see the new Monkie Kid sets soon? I don't remember if we've heard the release month (I assume June or August?) but I'm always curious to see what they cook up with this theme.

Yes, I believe we are getting the airship from the final episode, The dragon of the east seas palace, and a giant mech for azure lion. 

Forgot about Meis guardian dragon. all releasing in June so we should be seeing set pictures any day now. MK is usually the theme revealed earliest, although that honour goes to those interesting sonic sets I guess.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:56 AM, Dursagon said:

I like this theme but my closest Lego shop never carries the sets and I have to order them online only. Has anyone else have this issue with their local Lego Store?

Ironically enough for me it's the other way around, my local Lego shop (Bristol) carries them, but I've never seen them in another Lego shop, despite it being the tied smallest of all the ones I've visited since MK launched (the others I've visited without finding any MK sets are Brighton, Cardiff, Legoland and lecister square in London; though lecister square might have had some, I wasn't particularly looking for them at the time).

Just got  80040 and 80041 delivered the other day - cant wait to build them!

Oh, and I got the new big MK Mecha, but that will have to wait until I have enough time to build it in a relaxing manner.^^

58 minutes ago, neithan said:

Oh, and I got the new big MK Mecha, but that will have to wait until I have enough time to build it in a relaxing manner.^^

Build it violently and angrily

Azure lion mech has leaked, blurry but looks alright. Proportions are a bit weird, but the figs look good. Wukong, Mk, pigsy? Azure lion obviously. And an ink demon. 

MKs airship also revealed, looks pretty good actually, hope it’s cheap. Peng and an ink demon, Mk and someone else? 

Temple as well, looks fairly big and expansive, a wojira type dragon on the left and the big staff build in the right, and it’s huge! The building looks really big and deep, so hopefully not a facade. Meis dragon is also up, looks very good. Hopefully that’s tang with her, plus an ink Demon and yellow tusk elephant. 

We’re finally getting a Mei dragon! Yes! Yes! I’ve been waiting for this! It’s gorgeous, too!

Equally thrilled by the Dragon Palace, I’ve been hoping that Monkie Kid would do a version of that and even though the images are blurry it does not disappoint!

Want to point out that the guards for the palace have lobster and crab heads. That is all.

Spoiler

In all seriousness, the airship looks really wonky to me, It feels like it needed to be double the size. Sandy is wearing matching armour with monkie kid from the MK Ultra Mech.

Azure Lion looks to be a "true" mech, with a cockpit in the chest. I want to note that MK and Monkey King are new, with MK having a tail and Monkey King having a new yellow and white robe. Pigsy is wearing the armour in this set. Other than that though, this just looks like a palette swap of the Macaque Mech from last year. It looks like it has the exact same proportions and everything.

The Dragon of the west is really cool, but I think it might be encroaching a bit too far into Ninjago's style. I do wonder why it's a more western dragon, considering the Dragon of the East has always been portrayed as a traditional Chinese dragon from what I recall, and I can't tell if it's meant to be mechanical or not. Tang and Mei are wearing the armour this time. Overall this set is cool generally, but I think it misses the mark on the Monkie Kid 'vibe'.

The Palace is pretty much an insta buy, I'm a sucker for underwater stuff, so this year have been a treat for me, but this is something else. I can't wait to get a better look.

Really loving that new Mei dragon, something about the proportions and style seems so right about it. I think its the little bits sticking of the front of the wings that do it for me. Perfect set, and a decent price. With this, ninjago and possibly Dreamzzz, its going to be one expensive summer. 

Curious to see how the sword is built for the Mighty Azure Lion.

As they might have made a new piece with studs on both sides.

Edited by Takanuinuva

Realized I hadn't shared my thoughts about these sets lately despite practically obsessing over them.

My favorite is Mei's dragon. It's just... perfect. I've pretty much built the whole thing on Stud.io, and the amount of amazing shaping to give it that wavy Eastern dragon look is unreal. Unfortunately, the U.S. pricing is bizarrely high compared to even the other Monkie Kid sets...

The airship is slightly small (certainly not the most impressive ship MK and crew have had), but I'm okay with that. The price is reasonable and I like the use of those big airplane canopies for the envelope.

The Azure Lion isn't as good as the incredible Ultra Mech from earlier this year. The shaping feels slightly off, and I sort of wish it had a cape like Azure Lion's minifigure form. The face looks great, though, and I do really like the enlarged scroll the mech holds in its off hand.

And the Dragon of the East's palace... WOW! I love underwater scenery, and this does an amazing job combining that with traditional palatial architecture. The way it closes around the throne room is exciting, and I love how Monkey King's staff is included in its original role as a column for measuring floods!

Minifigure-wise this wave is very strong—I'm extremely excited that the whole team is getting armor like Mei and MK had in the first wave, Monkey MK looks great, and the Dragon of the East Sea's court look fantastic (I wonder if one or both of their new headpieces might've been designed for Vidiyo).

All the sets look good but I really just can't get over the new sea creature soldiers in the palace. I love them, but unfortunately I'm probably not going to be getting that set. 

Managed to get the Monkey Market Place polybag, really hard to find if you live in NZ like me.  Glad that I bought it though, really cool small set.  
Can't wait for the upcoming wave, especially the palace but very pricey.  Need to figure out how to fund them XD

The sets don't give us any insight into the mystery of who the unseen villain manipulating Azure in the show is.

Unless it's The Dragon of the East in a shock twist 🤣

Embargo date is here for the MK reviews. These look amazing, the guardian dragon s a beautiful build. Will definitely get it. It looks very wide at the front, thats my only complaint. Also theres a memory scroll piece in the palace set, which is really disappointing considering how much of a role it played in the show, the fact its not in any other sets is painful. 

6 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Embargo date is here for the MK reviews. These look amazing, the guardian dragon s a beautiful build. Will definitely get it. It looks very wide at the front, thats my only complaint. Also theres a memory scroll piece in the palace set, which is really disappointing considering how much of a role it played in the show, the fact its not in any other sets is painful. 

Any reviews on the Mighty Azure Lion? I'm very curious on that sword build.

1 minute ago, Takanuinuva said:

Any reviews on the Mighty Azure Lion? I'm very curious on that sword build.

A couple, check out @DuckBricks mega review. Also he said that the ninjago embargo is on the 22nd, not sure if that has any truth/merit to it though. The lion looks good, if not a little small for the price. I like the fact that the scroll of memory can become a shoulder cannon. Creative!

3 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

A couple, check out @DuckBricks mega review. Also he said that the ninjago embargo is on the 22nd, not sure if that has any truth/merit to it though. The lion looks good, if not a little small for the price. I like the fact that the scroll of memory can become a shoulder cannon. Creative!

Thx found one with a speed build. Was not thinking they would use that piece that original was only in Nezha's Fire ring for the sword build.

https://img.bricklink.com/ItemImage/PN/98/80796.png

Very creative. And it's in trans clear. A much more versatile color than trans orange.  

Edited by Takanuinuva

ill be holding back and not buying any of the 4 new monkie sets until the 9th when the supposed double points happens

but i am expecting my order of the team hideout and yellow tusk elephant to arrive by friday or saturday

i

Also waiting for the next promo with double points.

Of the new wave I really want all sets, buty beacuase other themes also have great sets, I may at least cut down on the Airship.

Now we're getting Lego 2K drive sets, I wonder if we'll eventually get recolours of the Monkey King hair and tail pieces for Unkie and Sunny?

Weird how Lego Dreamzzz is apparently getting a comic/magazine; at least in Europe, but only China seems to have the Monkie Kid comics 😭

Took delivery of the Palace yesterday.  I couldn't wait for the double vip points as I know stock gets patchy and deliveries slow around this time.

I got the Ninjago city markets as well from the Lego shop near me on release day so I'm trying to decide which other Monkie Kid set to give a miss to and I'm thinking the Airship isn't great and the Lion looks a bit weird.

I do like Mei's dragon though - the figures are a bit bland but the dragon is super nice.

I'm also waiting on some Monkie Kid parts I got from pab standard - they've finally shipped after 4 weeks but are taking their time to arrive in the post (a week now - not that I'm counting)

Edited by BrickSP

speaking of monkie kid im currently watching american born chinese on disney plus which is great and has hopes for a season 2 already with the cliffhanger

i just ordered the new summer sets and the ultra mech through lego online

and that means i will have every single monkie kid set to date

i recently built the team hq hideout and wow what a better build then i thought

and this is me thinking a few months back i said was going to pass on that wave

now i need to find a way to watch monkie kid season 4 and the new special

Small spoilers from the s4 special

Spoiler

Peng is non binary! Wukong and macaque refer to peng with they/them pronouns!