Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Yes. We could get four Batman vs Joker sets. That’s as many as two twos. And that‘s terrible. :laugh_hard:

A 4+ Lego set with Lex stealing forty cakes would be hilarious!

On 9/25/2023 at 12:41 AM, PGBQW said:

Wanting +2 sets a year i not having too high expectations

There is still hope for the next year as long as the theme is active. All it needs is a successfull movie or series to get a bunch of sets again. Compared to all those unfinished but ended licences this is pretty good for Lego standards. And the average quality of those few sets isn't that terrible either. The minifig Tumbler is one of my favourite sets. If they'd do a new big display set with Schwarzenegger Mr. Freeze next year, I'd be happy.

6 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

There is still hope for the next year as long as the theme is active. All it needs is a successfull movie or series to get a bunch of sets again. Compared to all those unfinished but ended licences this is pretty good for Lego standards. And the average quality of those few sets isn't that terrible either.

This is actually a really good point. Any other theme would likely have ended a long time ago. Given all the DC flops recently (besides The Batman), it's remarkable the theme is still alive :laugh: While I like to poke fun at the three Batman vs Joker sets this year, they're at least well-designed.

And yeah, Gunn needs to be successful with his reboot, or else it might still be curtains at some point.

19 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

This is actually a really good point. Any other theme would likely have ended a long time ago. Given all the DC flops recently (besides The Batman), it's remarkable the theme is still alive :laugh: While I like to poke fun at the three Batman vs Joker sets this year, they're at least well-designed.

And yeah, Gunn needs to be successful with his reboot, or else it might still be curtains at some point.

Honestly, even with the reboot, I question how quickly LEGO is going to rush out to make Swamp Thing, etc... I see sets releasing when Superman Legacy arrives, but given how badly "unknown superhero" movies have done recently, I don't think LEGO or any toy company is going to immediately bank on this rebook doing that well. Black Panther 2, Eternals, etc. action figs and such are still sitting on shelves in some places... 

(Before I get a slew of discussion about how x, y, z character isn't "unknown," I only mean in the way of "worldwide known" like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. are, not that no one knows of Swamp Thing, etc.). 

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

[…] I don't think LEGO or any toy company is going to immediately bank on this rebook doing that well.

Indeed. Even if Superman Legacy does well, they‘re not immediately gonna rush out sets based on the other DCU movies. However, they don‘t have to. One set for the „smaller“ movies and 2-3 for the tentpoles should be enough I think :purrr: At least for the beginning. We shall see where it goes

5 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Honestly, even with the reboot, I question how quickly LEGO is going to rush out to make Swamp Thing, etc... I see sets releasing when Superman Legacy arrives, but given how badly "unknown superhero" movies have done recently, I don't think LEGO or any toy company is going to immediately bank on this rebook doing that well. Black Panther 2, Eternals, etc. action figs and such are still sitting on shelves in some places... 

(Before I get a slew of discussion about how x, y, z character isn't "unknown," I only mean in the way of "worldwide known" like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. are, not that no one knows of Swamp Thing, etc.). 

Thankfully, there is a compromise between making sets for unknown properties that will end up sitting on a shelf and completely ignoring these unknown properties. Just throw the characters in a Batman set. 

1 hour ago, psqidexslizer said:

Thankfully, there is a compromise between making sets for unknown properties that will end up sitting on a shelf and completely ignoring these unknown properties. Just throw the characters in a Batman set. 

As long as it also includes a Joker...

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten a Bane minifigure since 2017, he is one of Batman's biggest villains but no nowadays we just get Joker and sometimes Harley. I'm praying that next year we get some good sets with good villains but I have my doubts. There are 5 rumoured DC sets next year and 1 of them is probably the BTAS skyline so hopefully the other 4 will be good ones.

On 9/28/2023 at 4:55 AM, Lego Nostalgia said:

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten a Bane minifigure since 2017, he is one of Batman's biggest villains but no nowadays we just get Joker and sometimes Harley. I'm praying that next year we get some good sets with good villains but I have my doubts. There are 5 rumoured DC sets next year and 1 of them is probably the BTAS skyline so hopefully the other 4 will be good ones.

You know this theme is in dire straights when we’re just hoping to get A-list Batman villains like Riddler, Two-Face, Bane, Scarecrow, and Poison Ivy.

Edited by psqidexslizer

On 9/28/2023 at 4:55 AM, Lego Nostalgia said:

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten a Bane minifigure since 2017, he is one of Batman's biggest villains but no nowadays we just get Joker and sometimes Harley. 

It makes sense based on who appears in movies; we get Joker and Harley quite frequently, but the last appearance of Bane in a live-action movie was TDKR in 2012! The Batman was the first appearance of a non-clown villain since Suicide Squad (2016) featured Killer Croc and Deadshot (though Harley and Joker were far more prominent). 

I’m curious if there is any way to petition to Lego to “bring this theme back”? Is there any way to really communicate to designers how disappointed we are? I get (and resent) how the failure of the DCCU has tarnished the ability for DC to market its characters in media and merchandising at the level that Marcel can. But, there is still hope to find success on a smaller scale.

This is part of a much larger topic about how failure at leadership has sunk DC in the past decade, but how companies like Lego handle their merchandise still plays a major role. With Young Justice being an exemption (one with many of its own flaws mind you), JLA and TTG have solidified DC’s modern animated series as overtly childish, lacking in substance and direction. Focused on episodic stories that give little character development (at least in the way of JLA I won’t say much about TTG in that regard) or just far too much toddler-esque humor, the days of serious world building with stakes and character dynamics and growth of JLU are long gone. Despite reruns that is. So on the animated front we get shows that likely won’t build the kind of investment that shows of my childhood may have established in me. Then the movies are horrendous on a scale I thought most studios left behind in the 90s. So Lego not doing much for this theme makes sense but I also feel it makes the issue worse. Because that makes Marvel superior in every single way. Cinematic, animated series, and merchandising such as toys, they have a presence that DC simply does not.

I cannot describe how sad the recent handling of DC comics has made me. I truly wish they would choose to just innovate a bit with the content. Give the DC universe a presence , if no where else, on toy shelves. The recent Barbie movie is a testament to the influence of toys on society, and if the movies or shows aren’t getting the next generation of consumers and artists hooked on the DC Universe, toys may be that final frontier. So if I were someone working at DC merchandise I’d look at Lego and have a discussion about what practical ways new content can be created. I would understand the value of toys to kids and say hey if we’re going to have this License agreement we need to do something with it and have a presence. Especially when they’re being scrutinized on every regard it is ludicrous to throw the towel and say hey lets just not make Lego toys and lose our presence in every angle! What a ridiculous sentiment, I would push for Lego to either drop the license or make the most of it if I worked for DC. Long term the decisions Warner Bros and DC are taking and have taken lately, will have really bad consequences on their legacy. Its really bad.

Edited by cosmic

15 minutes ago, TheRedBarron said:

The short answer is no, it’s very clear that people of influence within the superheroes design team have a bias towards Marvel especially after Mark Stafford saying so in an indirect way. Even with Lego Marvel putting out a wave of sets for several failed movies, some straight to clearance sets, and some sets that just clutter shelves, the design team will continue to throw as many marvel sets as they can on the shelf and put the contractually obligated minimum amount of effort into DC. 

Of course they have a bias. Marvel has been the dominant franchise for the past decade, and not just in terms of superheroes either. Naturally, it is going to get more sets than the franchise that has been struggling for the past decade.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

I’m curious if there is any way to petition to Lego to “bring this theme back”? Is there any way to really communicate to designers how disappointed we are? I get (and resent) how the failure of the DCCU has tarnished the ability for DC to market its characters in media and merchandising at the level that Marcel can. But, there is still hope to find success on a smaller scale.

This is part of a much larger topic about how failure at leadership has sunk DC in the past decade, but how companies like Lego handle their merchandise still plays a major role. With Young Justice being an exemption (one with many of its own flaws mind you), JLA and TTG have solidified DC’s modern animated series as overtly childish, lacking in substance and direction. Focused on episodic stories that give little character development (at least in the way of JLA I won’t say much about TTG in that regard) or just far too much toddler-esque humor, the days of serious world building with stakes and character dynamics and growth of JLU are long gone. Despite reruns that is. So on the animated front we get shows that likely won’t build the kind of investment that shows of my childhood may have established in me. Then the movies are horrendous on a scale I thought most studios left behind in the 90s. So Lego not doing much for this theme makes sense but I also feel it makes the issue worse. Because that makes Marvel superior in every single way. Cinematic, animated series, and merchandising such as toys, they have a presence that DC simply does not.

I cannot describe how sad the recent handling of DC comics has made me. I truly wish they would choose to just innovate a bit with the content. Give the DC universe a presence , if no where else, on toy shelves. The recent Barbie movie is a testament to the influence of toys on society, and if the movies or shows aren’t getting the next generation of consumers and artists hooked on the DC Universe, toys may be that final frontier. So if I were someone working at DC merchandise I’d look at Lego and have a discussion about what practical ways new content can be created. I would understand the value of toys to kids and say hey if we’re going to have this License agreement we need to do something with it and have a presence. Especially when they’re being scrutinized on every regard it is ludicrous to throw the towel and say hey lets just not make Lego toys and lose our presence in every angle! What a ridiculous sentiment, I would push for Lego to either drop the license or make the most of it if I worked for DC. Long term the decisions Warner Bros and DC are taking and have taken lately, will have really bad consequences on their legacy. Its really bad.

Our best chance at getting more sets in the future is if DC manages to become more popular in the future. So, basically, if James Gunn’s plan works, we’ll be seeing more DC sets (probably centered around his PG-13 properties, but DC sets nonetheless).

5 minutes ago, glucklegobatman said:

Does the new leak mean no phantasm for the skylines set?

It seems to look that way, yes. Hopefully, though, if this is B:TAS based, then we might see minifigures in system sets. Mr. Freeze isn’t present in the line-up, either, but he would be very cool to get. 

They saw us getting excited over the prospect of a new character and decided to remove the Phantasm

I wonder if the inclusion of a Batmobile and Batwing means we’ll be getting those two as sets of their own. 😝

The minifigure list is fine. I mean, those are arguably four of the most iconic characters from the show. But it’s disappointing compared to the list that leaked from the survey. Phantasm would have been cool to get a minifigure of.

I have no words.

Honestly.

It's like they read the forum and are doing this to troll us.

Removing the Phantasm, adding in the batwing and batplane... is this even still BTAS based? I don't really understand the formatting but it doesn't sound like a skyline to me, more like some sort of combination of the wayne manor, batcave, and arkham.

Edited by Mandalorianknight