Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Welcome to the DC Superheroes 2023 discussion thread! 

This thread is dedicated to all Lego related DC Superhero discussion throughout 2023--sets, rumors, thoughts, and general Lego DC Superhero discussion. 

Enjoy! 

2023 rumors:

May
76221 The Batmobile Flash Tracking $44.99

...and hopefully any of the other sets from the general list in the Marvel thread are DC?

The "list" is just sad :tongue:

Really hope we get something for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. 76222 and 76224 were supposed to release in 2022, but the latter has appeared on the recent 2HY 2023 list.

I think that those might've been meant for that movie. Really hope that's the case.

19 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Do we know anyone else in the Batmobile set other than Batman and Flash? 

No.

I think it'll be just those two, with perhaps Supergirl.

We live in a society where DC gets one system set a year.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

No.

I think it'll be just those two, with perhaps Supergirl.

I think it'd be more likely to be both flashes and Birdman.

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The "list" is just sad :tongue:

Really hope we get something for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. 76222 and 76224 were supposed to release in 2022, but the latter has appeared on the recent 2HY 2023 list.

I think that those might've been meant for that movie. Really hope that's the case.

Why, Lego? Why? 

I wish they would release some classics as well.

DC has so much potential and Lego do nothing with it.  It’s arguably the best theme for potential Location builds and we never get anything from them. 

8 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

DC has so much potential and Lego do nothing with it.  It’s arguably the best theme for potential Location builds and we never get anything from them. 

I agree with that first part (and who doesn't) but the best theme for location builds? Really?

Star Wars, indiana Jones, Harry Potter, I mean even marvel feels like it has more iconic locations than DC. There's a lot of potential for the theme, but location builds ain't it chief.

Technic Batcycle is a Technic Batcycle. Not much else to say.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

There's a lot of potential for the theme, but location builds ain't it chief

I mean there is a lot of iconic DC buildings, but we would probably never get most of them.

Like no way we ever get the Daily Planet or the GCPD since we already have the Bugle and the police station.

Other buildings like Oscorp and Star Labs I don't see as worth making as a modular, since looking at them from the facade they're regular office buildings.

9 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Like no way we ever get the Daily Planet or the GCPD since we already have the Bugle and the police station.

Ever? Assuming we get DC Modulars and Bugle/police station retires, why would they not be done? Even with them on the shelves they could be different architectural styles. Its all mute though as DC sets are mythical beasts :laugh: 

8 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Ever? Assuming we get DC Modulars and Bugle/police station retires, why would they not be done? Even with them on the shelves they could be different architectural styles. Its all mute though as DC sets are mythical beasts :laugh: 

It's mostly lack of faith on Lego delivering on this theme tbh

59 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I mean there is a lot of iconic DC buildings, but we would probably never get most of them.

Other buildings like Oscorp and Star Labs I don't see as worth making as a modular, since looking at them from the facade they're regular office buildings.

I think the main issue is there aren't many buildings that work well with the most well-known DC characters. Here's the most common suggestions I've seen:

Arkham: This is the only one that I think has a really solid chance at being a thing. Batman means it should sell, and it has the potential for both an interesting exterior and an interesting interior with all the special cells.

Batcave/Wayne Manor: Even with this, the only other one I think is a shoe-in iconicity wise, there's the issue of how it would logistically work

Daily Planet: I can only see this working if Gunn's superman takes off, and the planet is involved in some capacity. The globe on top gives the building some interesting elements, but the company itself isn't as well known as the Bugle (JJJ is just so much more well-known, not to mention he stomps Perry White low-mid diff.). The interior would be if anything LESS interesting than the bugle.

Hall of Justice: I just don't know. There's definately an interior there, and some iconicity, but the overall shape of the building would be tough to scale to figs.

Watchtower: This is the most absurd to me as much as I love JLU. It'd be difficult to get any sort of real interior without making it hilariously large due to it's shape, and it's less well known than the rest of the list. If anything it would be better as a UCS set.

The Fortress of Solitude: I could see this working as a system set, but at a full Modular size I just don't see it being worth it to most people.

40 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Daily Planet maybe, GCPD no. Lego gives us a standard police station every few years, and as much as I'd love the chicago architecture of, say, the Nolan GCPD, none of the iterations of it have ever been iconic enough to warrent a set in the way a Batcave would.

25 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think the main issue is there aren't many buildings that work well with the most well-known DC characters. Here's the most common suggestions I've seen:

I mean, you said that DC doesn't have many popular locations and I said I disagree.

I never said any of those locations would make for a good modular :grin:

34 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Arkham: This is the only one that I think has a really solid chance at being a thing

I wouldn't like it as a modular tbh. It could not possibly fit into a city in any reasonable way. Besides, The Lego Batman Movie gave us the perfect iteration of it already (this applies to every Lego Batman set too).

36 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

there's the issue of how it would logistically work

It wouldn't, next question.

37 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Hall of Justice: I just don't know. There's definately an interior there, and some iconicity, but the overall shape of the building would be tough to scale to figs

This is the one that, in theory, could work as a modular, in the sense that is a building located in a city.

On a more practical sense, no one really cares about it. Like people think this one would be cool because it would have tons of minifigures (same as Arkham tbh). Besides, it's pretty much obsolete, because when people think about the JL they think about...

39 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Watchtower: This is the most absurd to me as much as I love JLU. It'd be difficult to get any sort of real interior without making it hilariously large due to it's shape, and it's less well known than the rest of the list. If anything it would be better as a UCS set.

As much as I love spaceships, this one has a 0 chance of ever happening. Like they're not pulling it off.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Arkham: This is the only one that I think has a really solid chance at being a thing. Batman means it should sell, and it has the potential for both an interesting exterior and an interesting interior with all the special cells.

I don't think Arkham should be "a" Modular but should be a Modular system like the Harry Potter Hogwarts sets. Piece multiple sets together to build a bigger Arkham in various shapes. This is achievable to include multiple villains and multiple batmen at different price points. The theme would have to alive for it to be achievable though.

If Im dreaming you could even have say 3 Modulars that connect to create a full Arkham that fits 3 base plates or bigger as 1 would be too small.

A lot of DC locations don't fit a Modular building shape (Daily Planet being an exception and maybe GCPD though I think thats more of a multi baseplate size to do it justice)

So, aside from the obligatory Flash Batmobile (YAWN! :sing:), has the DC Super Heroes Batman theme just been relegated to a Technic subtheme now?

As bad as Black Adam was, I would have preferred getting a set from that movie than nothing.

This theme is getting even less respect than Super Friends' Aquaman... :sadnew:

Maybe DC will push for more sets in order to market the DCU more once the movies under the Gunn/Safran plan start. 

15 minutes ago, Subnautica said:

Maybe DC will push for more sets in order to market the DCU more once the movies under the Gunn/Safran plan start. 

That’s what I’m thinking. People like to point out that there is plenty of older content they could base sets on, which is true, but we also need to keep in mind who the target audience is, and DC is currently not as much in their consciousness as Marvel is :purrr: Once the DCU gets launched and is actually successful, the DC theme could finally be restored! Until then, we have to content ourselves with breadcrumbs

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Once the DCU gets launched and is actually successful

IF it's actually successful. I like the Guardians movies but I'm worried Gunn can't handle an entire cinematic universe, or worse, he's going to give everything the same caustic tone SS2 and Peacemaker had. If the DCU doesn't do it we're right back where we started....

...BUT the DCU isn't the only way to make DC successful. A good animated series, a revived multimedia push, etc. Most of the DC sets weren't based on the movies (This sets aside TLBM sets entirely as they're technically based on A movie but at the same time like...do they really count in the same way?), so the movies themselves aren't necessary to the theme, though they're certainly helpful, as marvel has shown. What DC really needs is some content kids in lego's target age range can enjoy. Right now there's distressingly little between batwheels and harley quinn.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Its a shame they won't do more with the older Batman films. There's plenty of potential sets they can cover across the 60's series, Burton era, Schumacher era and Dark Knight Trilogy that could breath some life back into the line.