Umbra-Manis

[MOC] Blacktron Energy Extraction Platform

Large space base playsets were my early dream Lego sets, first with the Mars Mission Eagle Command Center and later the Space Police III HQ. Because of the many hours of fun I got out of those sets, I have it on my MOC list for a while to build a playset in that vein. This isn't purely designed as a Lego set so their are more complex and smooth MOC style sections but there are also plenty of studded surfaces to attach minifigures. Between the initial start build (The platform and container design) and finishing everything else was probably a 2 year gap. But, without further ado, the Blacktron Energy Extraction Platform.

Blacktron Energy Extraction PlatformBlacktron Energy Extraction Platform - RearBlacktron Energy Extraction Platform - StorageBlacktron Energy Extraction Platform - Speeder LaunchBlacktron Energy Extraction Platform - Arm Crane

Features Include:

• Landing platform with Ghostrunner fighter
  • Dual Arm Cargo Crane
  • Storage Container
  • 2 Drones
  • 4 Crew
  • Speeder Garage with Opening door for speeder deployment
  • Barracks container building w/removable roof
  • Communications Array
  • Defense Turret
  • Rotating Central Drill Column
  • Fuel Transport Rail System

Thanks for taking the time to look, C&C Welcome, and the model can be seen in 3D Here

Well done on this platform. It oozes the Blacktron vibe with the color scheme. Even down to the barrels in the warehouse. I like the inclusion of the tram system as well. Adds to the playability.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:12 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Very, Very sleek. Definately Blacktron's style to be simultaneously in-your-face (large base on the water) and also sleek and stealthy in the actual design. Love it.

Thank you!

On 9/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Well done on this platform. It oozes the Blacktron vibe with the color scheme. Even down to the barrels in the warehouse. I like the inclusion of the tram system as well. Adds to the playability.

Thanks, I definitely wanted to include some play features in this. 

Beautifully done.
I think the com array is my favorite in your moc. At least, if the dish with the yellow 2x1 grated slopes is the array. Perhaps it is the defense turret? :wink:

This is neat! I like that you opted for a different sort of extraterrestrial setting than the dusty, cratered landscape typical of most Space sets and MOCs. It genuinely does feel like a futuristic equivalent of an oil platform thanks to its vertically stacked design and heavy-duty industrial motifs. I love all the details you added like the handling crane, fuel transport rail system, and robots/droids. Your fighter design is also outstanding, with an aggressive shape and a modern, streamlined build, but still plenty of classic Blacktron flair.

Even with a lot of smooth, studless details, you've definitely created a model that feels "set-quality" thanks to its numerous play features, accessible interior spaces, and balance between small detail pieces and larger structural components like panels and supports. Incredible work in general!

Great MOC!

I'm particularly interested in the vehicle sitting at the very top of the platform.  That's a great technique for the nose section - the combined use of cones and those long click-hinge panels (which I always considered rather useless) is fantastic!  If you have the time, would you be willing to post a couple shots of that vehicle by itself?  Good stuff!

On 9/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, Professor Thaum said:

WOW ! Nice blacktron build, it even has the MANTIS touch ! nostalgy...

I was searching for Pangolinus...

Thank you! Ah Andromeda's Gates, how I miss that game. 

If anything Pangolinus would be at the bottom of the ocean story-wise :grin:

On 10/1/2022 at 1:56 AM, GeoBrick said:

Beautifully done.
I think the com array is my favorite in your moc. At least, if the dish with the yellow 2x1 grated slopes is the array. Perhaps it is the defense turret? :wink:

Thank you! Yes, that is the com array.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, Aanchir said:

This is neat! I like that you opted for a different sort of extraterrestrial setting than the dusty, cratered landscape typical of most Space sets and MOCs. It genuinely does feel like a futuristic equivalent of an oil platform thanks to its vertically stacked design and heavy-duty industrial motifs. I love all the details you added like the handling crane, fuel transport rail system, and robots/droids. Your fighter design is also outstanding, with an aggressive shape and a modern, streamlined build, but still plenty of classic Blacktron flair.

Even with a lot of smooth, studless details, you've definitely created a model that feels "set-quality" thanks to its numerous play features, accessible interior spaces, and balance between small detail pieces and larger structural components like panels and supports. Incredible work in general!

Thank you Aanchir, I appreciate the detailed feedback! The handling crane needs a bit of a rework imo since it can't actually reach any other platforms... :grin:

On 10/12/2022 at 1:23 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This platform is totally cool! Nice features and amazing color for the sea (not the standard blue) :wub_drool:

Superb! :thumbup:

Thank you, it's out in some deep water!

On 10/18/2022 at 4:37 PM, mrcp6d said:

Awesome work on this! 

Thanks mrcp6d!

On 10/19/2022 at 7:04 AM, lowlead said:

Great MOC!

I'm particularly interested in the vehicle sitting at the very top of the platform.  That's a great technique for the nose section - the combined use of cones and those long click-hinge panels (which I always considered rather useless) is fantastic!  If you have the time, would you be willing to post a couple shots of that vehicle by itself?  Good stuff!

Thank you! This is the second variation I've made of this fighter, updating it with newer pieces and such. You can see the whole ship in 3D here: https://mecabricks.com/en/models/BLvG6XP4jGy

The Blacktron vibe is so strong in this moc! Nice build!

I love the stacking around the core, and I agreed with Aanchir about the heavy-duty industrial motif. And the little tram, a fun yet clever addition.

I'm not a big fan of the turret though, I found it a bit weird in comparison of the entire set. Initially I took it for a drone. So a very small point, clearly a matter of taste :wink: