MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I ended up getting the Ahsoka clone pack, and honestly it's really good. The clones look great, I don't care as much about minifigure details personally as long as the set itself is good, which is why Im a little annoyed by the T-6 being half finished. I'll still get it and it'll likely still be a good set, but I don't like that personally. Gunship is maybe my 2nd fave set after the Ghost as of this moment in time.

I’m pretty happy with getting the 332nd pack since the figure from the AAT wasn’t easy to get. But after this I’m done with the 501st unless they want to do specific characters. But no more 501st battle packs 

14 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

But no more 501st battle packs 

Couldn't agree more, I've had it with 501st sets :tongue:

It's almost as if TLG are mocking us. "Oh, you want a 501st CT BP, do ya? Enough to harass us with endless social media campaigns to rival the Snyder cut nonsense, huh? Well, here you go, ya greedy goobers, the 501st BP you've been demanding! And here's another one! And another one!! 501st up your megablocks! Satisfied yet?" :laugh_hard:

Please, anything but the 501st again. Pretty please?

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Couldn't agree more, I've had it with 501st sets :tongue:

It's almost as if TLG are mocking us. "Oh, you want a 501st CT BP, do ya? Enough to harass us with endless social media campaigns to rival the Snyder cut nonsense, huh? Well, here you go, ya greedy goobers, the 501st BP you've been demanding! And here's another one! And another one!! 501st up your megablocks! Satisfied yet?" :laugh_hard:

Please, anything but the 501st again. Pretty please?

Nonsense? The Snyder Cut was real! I loved it!

But yeah, it does feel almost vindictive. Although the actual reasoning is of course just that the 501st is the most well-known legion, and therefore the one lego believes will sell the best.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m pretty happy with getting the 332nd pack since the figure from the AAT wasn’t easy to get. But after this I’m done with the 501st unless they want to do specific characters. But no more 501st battle packs 

Nononononono, what have you done? They're gonna put fives, jesse, hardcase, and kix in the 2024 battle pack now...

I wouldn't mind named characters or variants (AT-RT driver/ARF trooper, ARC trooper, airborne- which do have action figures, so they exist as much as mace's legion from the tank), but not in anything that could be remotely considered a battle pack.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wouldn't mind named characters or variants (AT-RT driver/ARF trooper, ARC trooper, airborne- which do have action figures, so they exist as much as mace's legion from the tank),

I would buy many a battlepack with these figures; way better than the 2023 variants. 

After seeing the in-hand pics of Echo from Marvel's CMF series, I can't be the only one thinking how perfect that new braided hairpiece is going to be for Fennec Shand? Could even work well on Leia next year if the UCS Sail Barge goes ahead.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:23 AM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would really love some more Phase 1 clones honestly. Obviously I would love some specific TCW P1 troops like Domino Squad, updated Rex and Cody, Waxer, Boil, updated Fox, Ponds, Stone, Bly, etc. but to be honest I would also love more plain Shiny P1 troopers. I ended up getting about five of the Command Station packs but they were just so hard to get a hold of and the feet that they included a Commander really made it hard to army build plain troops. But yeah more P1 clones all around would be great. (I love P2 clones as well and don’t want them to stop just so we’re clear). I’m really hoping we’ve only seen the top of the iceberg when it comes to clone centered lego sets

They really need to update the remaining Phase I clones from AOTC. Its been a decade since we've had a Captain, Lieutenant, Sergeant and Pilot variants and those older figures don't really match the modern clones that came in the Command Station.

2 hours ago, Old Master said:

We need some Wolfpack love for 2024! I agree no more 501 lol

If we get Wolfpack Clones next year there better be a new Plo Koon figure to go with them!

So I've mostly fallen out of the hobby in favor of TVC (minus the sets that really peak my interest). Anyway, I saw a rumor about a Jabba's Sail Barge next year? Is there any legitimate basis for it?

We all don’t want anymore 501st then it just dawned on me what if Grogus escape has 501st in and not shock troopers. It’s a kind of Lego thing to do

11 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

Anyway, I saw a rumor about a Jabba's Sail Barge next year? Is there any legitimate basis for it?

Yeah there was a massive survey leak that was hinting at it coming for 2024. There's been a lot of talk on here whether it'll be UCS or MBS.

20 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I agree. It fits with Renown's statement that MOST of the builds can't fly- it's only the STAP, not the turret, carrier, or BARC (Which is in a grey area, but I wouldn't see speeder bikes can fly in the same way an ARC-170 can), and lego's done battle pack remakes before (imperial dropship, mandalorians)

Odd guess, but given what we know...and how it kinds shares some similar design features with an ARC (snoot, cockpit, engines on either side of cockpit) gonna throw something like a Freeco speeder out there. 

14 hours ago, wesker said:

After seeing the in-hand pics of Echo from Marvel's CMF series, I can't be the only one thinking how perfect that new braided hairpiece is going to be for Fennec Shand? Could even work well on Leia next year if the UCS Sail Barge goes ahead.

As long as it’s not too expensive I might need to pick that hairpiece up then. Especially since I’d like to use Fennec’s hair on my Reva figure, since the hair she comes with looks awful. 

15 hours ago, wesker said:

They really need to update the remaining Phase I clones from AOTC. Its been a decade since we've had a Captain, Lieutenant, Sergeant and Pilot variants and those older figures don't really match the modern clones that came in the Command Station.

If we get Wolfpack Clones next year there better be a new Plo Koon figure to go with them!

Why would Echo’s hair be used for Slave Leia when they have a perfect hair piece they used back in 2013?

20 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I would buy many a battlepack with these figures; way better than the 2023 variants. 

I would have been fine with unnamed variants if the 2023 packs hadn't released already, but you'd buy many a battlepack with named figures? Actually, come to think of it, I'd rather have the variants we see fully in canon on the battlefront (pun intended) than ones like airborne that we never saw in canon, or even ones that existed in much smaller numbers like the ARC Trooper. I'll give you ARF trooper though. How do we have multiple 501st AT-RTs but no 501st ARFs?

4 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Odd guess, but given what we know...and how it kinds shares some similar design features with an ARC (snoot, cockpit, engines on either side of cockpit) gonna throw something like a Freeco speeder out there. 

I don't think we'll see it, but I respect the guess.

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

Why would Echo’s hair be used for Slave Leia when they have a perfect hair piece they used back in 2013?

That 2013 hair mold is most likely retired. Lego would be far more likely to use a modern mold or create a new one entirely (which is less likely).

3 hours ago, The Stud said:

That 2013 hair mold is most likely retired. Lego would be far more likely to use a modern mold or create a new one entirely (which is less likely).

Lego has brought back old molds before (look at Gamorrean Guard in 2022)

came back from a vacation and had to waddle through like 10 pages of new stuff.  Guess that is the breaks for trying to take time off.  

Lots of interesting stuff that came out especially about the 2024 releases.  For now I will take them all with a grain of salt, but it does have potential for being a good wave.  (minus R2, sorry, but not sure he is really needed).  I will withhold judgement until such time as I am able to see actual pictures.

However, the one thing that has been bugging me lately is everyone complaining about how overpriced this set or that set is relative to earlier types of sets.  I think a lot of us have forgotten what inflation really looks like.  Prior to the pandemic, inflation had been running at around 1-2% a year.  Which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much.  But to put things into perspective, something that cost $100 in 2013 would cost $133 today.  Or to take two of my favorite sets from my youth or college years (Mainstreet and Fort Legoredo) Mainstreet (1980) had a MSRP of $40 which would be $156 today (giving a PPR of  $0.26/part) and Fort Legoredo (1996) had an MSRP of $85 which would be $175 today (giving a PPR of $0.26/part).  So when you look at things through that lens, two sets more than 16 years apart that have almost the same PPR when adjusted for inflation you come to realize that things aren't as overpriced as folks think they are.  For example, the Gunship is only $0.15/part which is better than it was back when I was a kid (it would be $236 if it kept to the $0.26 rate).  The thing that gets lost is perspective.  I cannot tell you how many times I go, wait I used to be able to get this for $5 and now it costs $10.  Looking at it as a whole, I think Lego has done a pretty good job over the years in minimizing the price increases.  And because they have done that so well for so long, people start to expect that it will hold.  But alas, it cannot.  

I have to keep reminding myself that this is an expensive hobby.  And even more so when you have two kids who like completely different themes (and you have to buy things for 3+ themes over a year).  I guess in the end, I wish folks would focus on the end product and not focus on what an earlier version of the same idea cost.  Its not an apples to apples comparison anymore.  

Thanks for allowing me to rant.   

Edited by MSY-MSP

On 8/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

But yeah. Whenever the prequels and clones are discussed there are frequently accusations that people work for lego. At least this time we didn't have anyone unleash the classic "lego secretly hates the prequels and is intentionally sabotaging the sales of their own products by making the clone sets not perfect" coping mechanism.

Yep. You can dislike something without it being a personal offense (though that's all people seem to want to make it anymore). 

See my post from earlier, but no one can reasonably say LEGO doesn't care about the Clones/PT anymore. Heck, we're getting VERY few system OT sets anymore comparatively, with most builds going towards either shows or the PT/CW (and I'm not a fan of that as someone who wants to build up Imperials who aren't Snowies). 

LEGO has made some of the largest amounts of PT content since 2013 era (and a lot better sets than that timeframe too). People are farrr too blinded by nostalgia from that era anymore, and the sets coming out now are (in my subjective opinion as someone who doesn't work for LEGO) much better than those of that timeframe, with much better figs (despite a missing kama or two).

5 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

1 hour ago, Legofan2001 said:

Lego has brought back old molds before (look at Gamorrean Guard in 2022)

Why would Ronan from GOTG be using Emperor Palpatine's hood in a set next year when he had the perfect piece back in 2014? I think it depends on each individual mold. How frequently was the original piece used in the past? Is there a suitable substitute currently available in Lego's inventory? The Gamorreans are a unique alien species and an iconic part of Jabba/Boba's Palace so the only options there are to either bring back the previous mold or redesign a new one.

With Slave Leia her hairpiece is just a long braided ponytail. Do they bring back an old mold that was only used once a decade ago or is it more cost effective to just reuse Echo's that is currently in production and could potentially be used further across a number of different themes including City and Friends?

On 8/6/2023 at 3:44 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Nonsense? The Snyder Cut was real! I loved it!

But yeah, it does feel almost vindictive. Although the actual reasoning is of course just that the 501st is the most well-known legion, and therefore the one lego believes will sell the best.

Nononononono, what have you done? They're gonna put fives, jesse, hardcase, and kix in the 2024 battle pack now...

I wouldn't mind named characters or variants (AT-RT driver/ARF trooper, ARC trooper, airborne- which do have action figures, so they exist as much as mace's legion from the tank), but not in anything that could be remotely considered a battle pack.

Oh I definitely agree! I don’t want them in battle packs. I just want them in general

12 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Oh I definitely agree! I don’t want them in battle packs. I just want them in general

Totally fair. They'd be a fine addition to any upcoming GAR set. ARC-170 when?

51 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Yep. You can dislike something without it being a personal offense (though that's all people seem to want to make it anymore). 

See my post from earlier, but no one can reasonably say LEGO doesn't care about the Clones/PT anymore. Heck, we're getting VERY few system OT sets anymore comparatively, with most builds going towards either shows or the PT/CW (and I'm not a fan of that as someone who wants to build up Imperials who aren't Snowies). 

LEGO has made some of the largest amounts of PT content since 2013 era (and a lot better sets than that timeframe too). People are farrr too blinded by nostalgia from that era anymore, and the sets coming out now are (in my subjective opinion as someone who doesn't work for LEGO) much better than those of that timeframe, with much better figs (despite a missing kama or two).

Part of me wants to make this comment my signature so I can just copy/paste it whenever I see that "lego hates the prequels" garbage.

I want to build up my empire, and my rebels, AND MY FIRST ORDER. I want rogue one, I want Black One, I want Exogol. I want a system Y-wing, a TIE interceptor, TIE advanced, etc. For that matter, I wouldn't mind a new vulture droid, or Tri-fighter, or ARC-170. Lego only seems to care about clones right now, and it's entirely because half the fanbase is absolutely rabid over getting clones, and then whines about all the clones we DO get.

3 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Appreciate the honesty!

No problem. It just seems a little too specific for lego, but it is a GAR vehicle and we are running out of ones at that size, so it's always possible.

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Totally fair. They'd be a fine addition to any upcoming GAR set. ARC-170 when?

Gosh I would kill for a new FULL SCALE ARC-170 with new P2 pilots and freaking Oddball