zephyr1934

[MOC] Subaru Outback

My wife has been dreaming of a dark green Subaru Outback for a few years now. This spring I surprised her and got her one. She was not amused.

outback2.jpg

Of course, I can't see the point of building anything out of Lego unless it has something to do with trains. So naturally, I made it a hi-rail vehicle and powered it with a circuit cube. That did not raise her level of amusement much, it might have gotten a shrug out of her. You can't please everyone. But it's the thought that counts, right?

outback3.jpg

Now on the technical side, because the train wheels and rubber tires are on almost the same plane bumps can lift the powered rubber tires off the rail, so it is not a great rail runner, but it does move (video proof). It does better when I add a plate above the rear train wheels so that it's a lot harder for uneven track to lift the powered front axle of the track. Not flawless, but good enough. In the name of full disclosure, to hide the train wheels so well, I did have to cut into the black 1x6 plates to make clearance. The train wheels snap off and it runs like a charm on the rubber tires (video example).

outback1.jpg

Why doesn't she like it?  I like it.  Train wheels make everything better.  :pir-classic:

Cool rendition :). Still, can't recommend them (the real outback) enough. Good looking cars which have outgrown densely populated areas in Europe, but suit the USA perfectly. 

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful reproduction in Lego ... but this sentence is even more beautiful! :laugh::laugh:

If she hasn't left me yet, I felt safe knowing that a 6x18 MOC probably won't push her over the edge (grin)

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I felt safe knowing that a 6x18 MOC probably won't push her over the edge

Heehee ... :pir-huzzah2: LEGO ...

Wife: You have so many bricks up there, don't you have enough? No, don't say anything: You - do - have - enough!

Xmas approaching. Wife: You need to get your wishlist ready. Me: Don't know, I am happy.

XMas coming closer: Wife: (Really concerned) What? No LEGOs (or compatible bricks, yes, I know the dark side very well :pir-skel:) on the list???

What I like the most is the "really concerned" bit. This is not about mental illness to be smoothed - this is about "You like LEGO and I can see that".

New Year's a couple of weeks old - my Birthday approaching - and then we start over.

The rest of the year is the same - I keep it really low level, though.

We love each other. A lot.

BTW, she is into plants, flowers - also A LOT. Well ... guess what: Saturday approaching. Wife: I will go to the market garden, do you need anything? Me (thinking: Yes, The UCS Millennium Falcon) saying: No, but don't we have enough ... no, I don't say that. There is a BIG difference between ABS and living things.

And that is one reason I love her, for sure.

Best regards,
Thorsten

P.S.: If this is not off-topic, then I don't know what off-topic means. I am sorry. :pir-sweet:

On 5/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, dr_spock said:

Why doesn't she like it?  I like it.  Train wheels make everything better.  :pir-classic:

Would be great to avoid traffic jams. One only needs to be careful about other train traffic.

3 hours ago, JopieK said:

Would be great to avoid traffic jams. One only needs to be careful about other train traffic.

the top gear episode with the train made of a car as the locomotive and camping trailers as the wagons comes to mind...

19 hours ago, Toastie said:

P.S.: If this is not off-topic, then I don't know what off-topic means. I am sorry. :pir-sweet:

If I'm going to give my wife a Lego Outback then I think I opened that door already.

In my case, my wife owned a horse when we met, so there has never been a complaint about me throwing money into Lego (grin). You have to REALLY consume a lot of lego to rival the cost of a horse. (well, if you own a farm and do all the work yourself then a horse could be cheap, she didn't and we don't)

I love this! May need to make myself a 4 wide version of my own older Outback...

21 hours ago, Legownz said:

I love this! May need to make myself a 4 wide version of my own older Outback...

Now that sounds like a real challenge, but would be could if you can make it work

7 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Now that sounds like a real challenge, but would be could if you can make it work

I've done 4 wide models of a Subaru Impreza wagon and a Saab 900 before...I'm not saying they were good or that they looked like those cars, but I did "technically" make them :grin:

17 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

It will surely honour the Subaru symmetric AWD system, managing curves "like if it was on tracks"!!! :iamded_lol:

So I just have to ask, why didn't I think of that? (kudos to you)

Meanwhile, on a different track...

9694deserttrak2_sm-jpg.12780

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

So I just have to ask, why didn't I think of that? (kudos to you)

Meanwhile, on a different track...

Ooooh what a nice track without sleepers! However, If you find someone who's sleeping, you can always pass over them with that car. :thumbup:

But wait, if it is a car, why is it not attached to a locomotive? :hmpf_bad:

I'm an idiot, I already know.

Russische-12x12-Diesel-Lok-article169Gallocomotive on roadwheels! something only the russians could come up with.

18 minutes ago, XG BC said:

locomotive on roadwheels!

Interesting steering concept. This should be brought to the attention of the Technic Forum! So is this inverse and upside down Ackermann steering with a two axle fixed pivot section? :pir-laugh:

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

I love both the concept and the execution! I think that this sort of amusing, small build is exactly what Circuit Cubes should be used for!

19 hours ago, XG BC said:

something only the russians could come up with

I don't know, the French tried it too; two to be exact, only they drove in a straight line and had a big barrier between them to push boats up a hill...

France_-_Montech_-_Automotrices_de_la_pe

Source and details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montech_water_slope