langko

(MOC) Pagani Huayra 1:8 (Instructions Available!)

Here's a non-exhaustive list of modifications (I don't call them 'improvements' -- I don't feel that's up to me to judge).

Body color: At first I built the black version, with sparse blue accents (including 4 new blue shock absorbers and blue brake calipers), which I think combine well with all the golden details. Then when new red panel fairings arrived (ordered from PaB, I don't actually have set 42143... :shrug_oh_well:) I rebuilt the bodywork in red. The color conversion was very straightforward, really.

640x480.jpg

Suspension: It was my intention from the onset to use the new shock absorbers. At the rear axle, I wanted their position and angle to be similar to the real car. I'm very happy with the result. It took a few iterations to perfect the geometry, such that the model doesn't sag under its immense weight (3.2kg). These shocks are incredibly strong and I had to really reinforce the structure around the shocks to prevent them from just tearing everything apart. The final setup is very responsive, as shown at the beginning of the video.

Shifting: I fixed the gear sequence -- the driver pulls the stick to shift up, pushes to shift down. It's basically Anto's gearbox with 2 main differences: the 8th gear is blocked, and I've used spur gears only (thanks 81346). The whole gearbox runs unbelievably smooth.

640x480.jpg

Chain: The output of the gearbox is connected to the V12 engine via a chain (bottom-right in photo above). This is just a nod to the other black supercar: set 8880. I've owned my 8880 since 1994 and she's proudly on display next to the Huayra.

640x480.jpg

Ride height: The front axle also uses the new blue shock absorbers. Despite their considerable size, I managed to retain the ride height lift functionality. This is definitely the most difficult part to build, as it involves carefully aligning 2 worm gears so that the model does not lean permanently to one side.

160x195.png

Exhaust: I've split it into 4 tubes, using metallic silver as much as possible, and a few parts in pearl light gray (I looove the shine on this old color!). I bought a purple 12L ribbed hose and cut it into 4 equal parts.

640x479.jpg

Headlights: although @T Lego advised against this (he saw my WiP when he visited my alpine redoubt late October), I changed the headlights such that the Bionicle teeth are the lamps themselves. Both this solution and the original one have their pros and cons. Eventually I chose to keep the change, just because I wanted to do things my own way -- yes I'm that kinda person. :angel_sing: At least they still glow in the dark! Also, I fixed an unsatisfyingly illegal connection here -- the headlights now stay firmly in place, legally.

640x480.jpg

Taillights: I saw this photo of a black Huayra with golden taillight sockets, and I had to copy that! The black flex axles surrounding the taillights are now better positioned as well.

Roof: Reduced the thickness of the cockpit ceiling from 2L to 1L (without compromising strength), which allowed the rearview mirror to be positioned higher as well. Looks cleaner IMO.

B pillars: Reduced thickness from 2L to 1L (without compromising strength).

Doors: although the usage of a trans-black flag as roof windows was a nice idea, the flags were sticking out. I experimented with 2 alternatives: on the black model there's an old (an surprisingly hard to source) window (2493 & 2494), and on the red model there are modern 5x2x1 trans-black bricks (46212). I can't choose which I prefer.

640x480.jpg

Clamshell limiters: I replaced the hinges by pairs of 87617 & 87618. They have enough friction and look great IMO. I also considered using them for the doors but ran out of steam to make the necessary changes.

Brake light: Moved it to the rear wing where it belongs. Slightly remodeled the wing while I was at it.

Side skirts: These remain problematic... One cannot fix the front end of the 19L rotor blades, so grabbing the model by the side skirt always runs the risk of bending those rotor blades. I tripled the amount of clips to keep the rotor blades in place, which helps a bit.

Golden fans: When I found out the fans in the front of the model exist in pearl gold, I had to get those... But they turned out to be extremely rare. Managed to hunt down a pair anyway. Me happy.

640x480.jpg

A/C: I happened to have 4 chrome harpoons in my inventory which I never used before. I figured they'd look great  in the A/C fans in the cockpit!

Handbrake: Incorporated a microphone with silver top as handbrake, which was made possible by using new part 79987 to hold the silver hose surrounding the shifter.

Glove compartment: It opens. It's roomy. Nuff said.

Console: I used one 26L pearl gold hose to frame the central console, and one 18L silver hose to frame the shifter & handbrake. Bending the pearl gold hose before attaching it is a bit tricky, but after some proper fiddling, it does stay firmly in place.

640x480.jpg

Pedals: I'm very happy with the pedals, using only 6 parts, but they look just right. For the accelerator I took a taillight from set 76911 (Aston Martin DB5) and carefully scrubbed off the print using nailpolish remover. I kept the silver oval print around the edge though.

Seatbelt: Small detail: I filled up the seatbelt connection point in the seats.

Hazard warning: In the central console, I changed the upper row of toggles to part 20482 in trans-clear, and put a red round plate behind the middle one, which is the switch to activate the hazard warning signal -- in the real car it has a red light behind it.

Front raise button: A very small but to me very significant detail. In the real car, there's a button left of the main gauges for raising the front suspension (to overcome a speed bump, say). Since this function also exists in this model, I searched for a way to represent the button somehow. I found the print on this part to be perfectly suited! The stripes are hidden and the circle remains to represent the button -- plus it comes in flat silver like the gauge underneath it. Furthermore I tweaked the structure of the instrument panel and how it holds the steering wheel at an angle.

Baggage: I made the bags hollow and filled them with goodies -- see video.

640x480.jpg

Front grille: The outer fence parts are angled and separated from the inner fence parts by a Bionicle tooth. Looks more accurate IMO.

640x480.jpg

Cage: I remodeled the cage over the engine and extended it over the rear suspension. Using lots of pearl light gray parts here, I love those.

Overall I improved illegal connections where I found them. I think the only remaining 'bendy' connection is the large tapered red panels in the frunk, colliding a bit with the black #13/14 panels underneath. But these tapered panels are large and flexible; I don't expect permanent damage.

If you've made it this far and still want to see more, here's a photo gallery: https://bricksafe.com/pages/astyanax/pagani-huayra :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by astyanax
added more hyperlinks

On 12/20/2022 at 1:35 AM, astyanax said:

Yours might indeed be closer to 4000. Since there was no good shot of the chassis, I made my own, and I wanted to make it stiff and strong, but perhaps due to inexperience I might have over-engineered it. The chassis is form-locked itself, and other modules are form-locked into the chassis, even the roof. As shown at the end of the video, one can easily lift the model by the rear of the roof.

"perhaps due to inexperience" but you managed to reverse engineer a 4000+ part model haha :grin: But trust me, over engineered is always better than it being flimsy. You can lift my original one from the roof as well. Plus we are not working for LEGO, so we don't have to sacrifice parts (and structural integrity) to keep the production costs down. 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:21 AM, astyanax said:

Here's a non-exhaustive list of modifications (I don't call them 'improvements' -- I don't feel that's up to me to judge).

Well I would judge that a lot of them are definitely improvements! The only thing I'm not to sure about is the headlights... I tried versions like that originally but was happy with anything I came up with. On the red model they look ok as they blend in with the surrounding area, but on the black I feel like they stick out too much and look oversized. The rest of the modifications though :drool: I love all the extra small details you have added everywhere! Those pedal are probably my favourite, very clever use of parts. The clamshell limiters are great too, I didn't even know those parts existed...

On 5/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, langko said:

So after 18 months of building I'm happy to present my latest MOC. I already hinted at building this car back in my Senna thread... and I somehow managed to pull it off.

Hello, great LEGO Technic builders! I am a LEGO high-tech enthusiast from Hong Kong. I am amazed by your excellent works and the results displayed. Could you share your construction drawings?

Edited by Milan
Do not quote the entire post with images.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:58 AM, Oh yes1988 said:

Hello, great LEGO Technic builders! I am a LEGO high-tech enthusiast from Hong Kong. I am amazed by your excellent works and the results displayed. Could you share your construction drawings?

you should read the full post. He wont share it.

Yup, I am finally happy to announce the building instructions are now available! After @astyanax ridiculously reverse engineered the original model, it made me realise how much people wanted to actually build this model. So I reached out and asked him if he would be interested in making instructions and thankfully he was. I am so thankful for all your hard work with the project, it wouldn't be what it is today without you :pir-huzzah2: 

The final model has undergone even more changes compared to my original and then astyanax's version. The biggest changes are a new front splitter and rear diffuser (taking full advantage of the new parts that come in the bolide 42151). 

My rebuilt version is black with blue and silver accents, but it can be built in red or with gold accents like the original as well.

800x450.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x600.jpg

Rest of the photos

On 12/22/2022 at 3:09 PM, Ethan0080 said:

i want this car so bad now..

Now you can, thanks for being patient!

On 3/10/2023 at 2:47 AM, AFOLegofan66 said:

What a fantastic car! Love the lines you have created especially with the color you chose!

Thanks for the comment! Hopefully you can build one soon :wink:

24 minutes ago, nahpets said:

Wow this is amazing ! Thank you so much !

Enjoy!

Edited by langko

Many thanks to both @astyanax and @langko for the amazing design and allowing me to test the instructions. The car is stunning (even better in person!) and definitely one of the strongest builds I’ve had me hands on. 
So here is mine:

800x600.jpeg
I initially built it in red, but after seeing I have way too many red cars I looked for an alternative. Blue or dark blue would have looked amazing, but unfortunately I have yet to find matching paint and the wheelarches in the Ford GT are a different size. So I ended up with white, which in my opinion looks even better with the gold accents. 

For those interested I have a couple more photos here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/LvdH/huayrapics

If you really want to see the attention to detail in this build, buy the instructions and build it for yourself. This build really has it all, but they cannot be fully appreciated unless you build it. :wink: 

Edited by LvdH

9 minutes ago, LvdH said:

So here is mine:

Thanks for the nice words and all your valuable contributions with the instruction testing! I'm so glad you enjoyed the model. White looks great with the gold! Thanks for sharing some nice photos as well.
Believe me I was gutted when the dark blue wheel arches turned out to be a smaller size. I was really hoping that would open up even more colour opportunities...

Gentlemen, congratulations on the achievement! A truely magnificent model in all colours and I am sure the efforts will pay off with the guarenteed succes on Rebrickable!:thumbup:

2 hours ago, T Lego said:

I am sure the efforts will pay off with the guarenteed succes on Rebrickable!:thumbup:

That equals guaranteed success on AliExpress too, which will "pay off" a greedy pirate company or even multiple of them - it´s a "free" design after all. But I know it´s happening with the consent of the designer @langko, so he deserves double honour :thumbup:!

20 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

That equals guaranteed success on AliExpress too, which will "pay off" a greedy pirate company or even multiple of them - it´s a "free" design after all. But I know it´s happening with the consent of the designer @langko, so he deserves double honour :thumbup:!

I heard rumors that someone from that corner had already started to reverse-engineer the model like I did anyway, with the predictable consequences. So it doesn't seem like we had anything to loose by publishing building instructions.

3 minutes ago, astyanax said:

I heard rumors that someone from that corner had already started to reverse-engineer the model like I did anyway, with the predictable consequences. So it doesn't seem like we had anything to loose by publishing building instructions.

Sorry I didn´t mention your actual athletic performance regarding reverse engineering and sharing all your valuable work done with much love and passion. That´s very honorable too :thumbup:! You don´t need to feel uncomfortably for anything, my friend.

1 hour ago, damian_kane_iv said:

Very exciting to see this moc getting instructions.. now I have to decide between building this or saving my parts for my own mocs

Why not both? :pir-grin: At least that's what I do: build something big, play with and look at it for a month, then disassemble. Rinse and repeat. That way I don't run out of parts nor shelf space... 

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

Why not both? :pir-grin: At least that's what I do: build something big, play with and look at it for a month, then disassemble. Rinse and repeat. That way I don't run out of parts nor shelf space... 

I wont lie I am tempted

On 4/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, T Lego said:

Gentlemen, congratulations on the achievement! A truely magnificent model in all colours and I am sure the efforts will pay off with the guarenteed succes on Rebrickable!:thumbup:

Thank you, I appreciate the nice words :classic:

On 4/2/2023 at 11:14 PM, brunojj1 said:

That equals guaranteed success on AliExpress too, which will "pay off" a greedy pirate company or even multiple of them - it´s a "free" design after all. 

It doesn't matter how you release your model that will be the predictable consequence. You can buy multiple AliExpress versions of your Pista as well, its not like one can stop it from happening.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, damian_kane_iv said:

Very exciting to see this moc getting instructions.. now I have to decide between building this or saving my parts for my own mocs

I agree with what astyanax said, you've got nothing to loose by making it and then pulling it apart for your own Mocs later. I've done the same with other peoples Mocs, you might learn something new that you can apply to our own designs as well.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:45 PM, Polarlicht said:

Wowzers! That blue and black one:wub:

It pops a lot more than the original one, I like it quite a lot more too :wub: Plus it was a nice chance to use some blue engine pistons for a change from the typical yellow ones.

3 minutes ago, Ethan0080 said:

just bought all the parts i need. Now just waiting

Which color scheme? :excited:

This build is just astounding! I have no words, I'm simply amazed this thing is actually made from LEGO - I can't believe how seamless the panelling is, and the rear engine bay in particular is a work of art with the yellow and purple complementary colours and golden highlights. 

This is one of the greats in my opinion :pir-love: