evancelt

[MOC] West Into The Aspens

Ever since they had crossed into the Colorado territory, she couldn’t help but think the clouds looked like elephants.

duplo-wagons-overview.jpg

duplo-wagons-detail-1.jpg

duplo-wagons-detail-2.jpg

-----------------

This build will be installed at History Colorado Center in Denver, Colorado for the summer

It's a very beautiful diorama. I like the varied landscape with the many details. The covered wagon looks great.

This is beautiful. Great use of parts and colours, and amazing depth to the whole thing 🙌🏼

On 5/2/2022 at 3:19 AM, GeoBrick said:

That's a nice way to use those whale bones for the trees.

Thanks! Yes, they help add a fun cartoonishness to the build.

21 hours ago, NOD said:

It's a very beautiful diorama. I like the varied landscape with the many details. The covered wagon looks great.

Thanks @NOD!

20 hours ago, williejm said:

This is beautiful. Great use of parts and colours, and amazing depth to the whole thing 🙌🏼

Thanks! Becoming a big fan of medium nougat and olive green together.

Yes, I was a little scared to include three different scales in the same build, but I think it turned out well. If you look like closely there are micro trees (unicorn horns), mini trees (inverted grass pieces), and regular trees (whale bones & leaves)

Pure magic! Background is epic, carriage tent is the best I've seen so far in a moc (and believe me I've looked hundreds... :pir-grin: ), trees techniques are really clever and the lady riding "sideways" (?) (or whatever this style is called) is nice too. All in all it it oozes serenity!

Edited by blackdeathgr

On 5/4/2022 at 5:02 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Pure magic! Background is epic, carriage tent is the best I've seen so far in a moc (and believe me I've looked hundreds... :pir-grin: ), trees techniques are really clever and the lady riding "sideways" (?) (or whatever this style is called) is nice too. All in all it it oozes serenity!

Thanks @blackdeathgr! Wanted to recreate the feeling I get when I walk up on mountain trails

Lovely build!  Great job with the wagon and transition from minifigure scale to micro and the background.

Your whole MOC is awesome. But i like espacially the background and how the river breaks the fourth wall.

ofc, I supported you on Legoideas.

But may I ask, this are much more than 3000 pieces, aren't they?

It is a nice MOC.  But for IDEAS, I think you'd have more luck removing the base and the false perspective background, replacing both with some standalone 3D scenery for the trees and some rocks.

2 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

But may I ask, this are much more than 3000 pieces, aren't they?

Thanks! Actually, fewer! I used DUPLO in the base and there are a bunch of 8x16 LEGO bricks on top of the DUPLO, which greatly reduced the piece count. Maybe 100 DUPLO bricks, 20 of the big LEGO bricks. The backdrop is maybe 500 bricks. The wagon another 150?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

It is a nice MOC.  But for IDEAS, I think you'd have more luck removing the base and the false perspective background, replacing both with some standalone 3D scenery for the trees and some rocks.

Thanks. Yeah definitely was not designed with IDEAS in mind. It is at a museum for the summer, so can't make any tweaks until I get it back in September.

20 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! Actually, fewer! I used DUPLO in the base and there are a bunch of 8x16 LEGO bricks on top of the DUPLO, which greatly reduced the piece count. Maybe 100 DUPLO bricks, 20 of the big LEGO bricks. The backdrop is maybe 500 bricks. The wagon another 150? 

Interesting. Now I can see your Duplo :D (BTW Is it allowed?)

On 6/29/2022 at 4:14 AM, MontyMatte said:

Interesting. Now I can see your Duplo :D (BTW Is it allowed?)

Good question! I just assumed it was :D

Had a chance to stop into the History Colorado Center in Denver this weekend and took a pic of the display

2022-history-colorado.jpg