MP LEGO Technic creations

[TC22] Backhoe grader - inspired by Hydrema 614

Yeah, this thing is sweet! Massive functionality, and good looks. I do think it looked a bit more refined before you added the rotating cab, with the pneumatic outriggers, but I think this unique function is worth it. If possible, I'd like to see the outriggers appearance change a bit, though. The arm itself on them looks a little too simple, so if you could add a foot or something, I think it would look better.

Jesus! besides lack of time this is why I wont enter TC22 :blush: This thing Looks incredible. Hope to see a video?

8 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

If possible, I'd like to see the outriggers appearance change a bit, though. The arm itself on them looks a little too simple, so if you could add a foot or something, I think it would look better.

I'm aware of this issue and admit I've also made better ones. But a problem is still there - the outriggers have to be able to fully retract when the cabin is rotated by 180° to fit in the box and any kind of legs at the end of the arm would stick out. However, as I'm not satisfied with that either, I'll have a look at it once more this weekend :thumbup:.

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

Thanks for the update. I like the outriggers myself, but I confess I am more team linear actuators than team pneumatic, so know that.....

I miss the black details on the cabin. I really liked cabin that was in the first draft as it looked very clean. I do like the rotating cab design that you added though, and integrating all the pneumatic functions to the cab turned our really well.

Keep it up.

Some other imrovements have been made, now the model is more or less completed.

The final dimensions are 33 (L) x 14 (W) x 21,5 (H) when fully folded.

I've redone the outriggers, which now have a rubber support for better traction on each side, added mirrors and taillights, made the interior and improved some other things.

The rear arm now uses two thick pneumatic cylinders as the thin one was completely weak and useless when actually digging.

The studded parts for the front arm were added for better looks and as a counterweight of the rear arm.

I'm quite satisfied how implementing all the pneumatic parts turned out.

IMG_20220521_163839

IMG_20220521_163950

IMG_20220521_164032

IMG_20220521_164140

IMG_20220521_164218

IMG_20220521_164224

IMG_20220521_164240

IMG_20220521_164343

IMG_20220521_165540

IMG_20220521_165557

IMG_20220521_164807

On 5/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, 1gor said:

Wow that should be official Lego set.

Thanx!

On 5/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Amazing MOC! Those outriggers look much more substantial.

Thank you, I agree with you that the outriggers are much better now.

Here's a quick overview of mechanical functions (rotating rear bucket excluded), there would have been a 56z turntable connected to 8z red gear, however it wouldn't be easy to see anything through it then.

The blue part is for the outriggers - connected to a small LAs.

TC22 overview - render

Unfortunately, I'm not brave enough to try making a 3D model of all those pneumatic components and hoses... *huh*

I love your geartrain for the outriggers! You're using two unusual gears in there with the 14T (A personal favorite part of mine) and the 20T idler to make a very clever, compact mechanism.

4 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Unfortunately, I'm not brave enough to try making a 3D model of all those pneumatic components and hoses... *huh*

If it's okay with you, I've already made some progress towards a 3d model using the pictures. I'm not the greatest at working with Stud.io, but I'll see how far I can make it! And once again, you have made a fantastic little backhoe.

backhoebucketarm_2.jpg

On 5/21/2022 at 9:20 PM, GerritvdG said:

This is really well done, congratulations on this outstanding MOC!

I'm glad you like it!

22 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I love your geartrain for the outriggers! You're using two unusual gears in there with the 14T (A personal favorite part of mine) and the 20T idler to make a very clever, compact mechanism.

Thank you. This took me some time to achieve as I didn't have any of those 14z gears before and had tried solving it again and again with standard, recently used ones. However, I like this very much (and there's no more space left for any other solution anyway).

20 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

And once again, you have made a fantastic little backhoe.

Thank you very much!

20 hours ago, Magical Duck said:

If it's okay with you, I've already made some progress towards a 3d model using the pictures. I'm not the greatest at working with Stud.io, but I'll see how far I can make it!

I'm perfectly fine with it. Eurobricks is for fun, sharing anyone's ideas and inspiring each other. Feel free to do everything you want with it :tongue:

In fact, I've also started making Stud.io model of it, here's what I've already done - all hoses and cabin are missing.

Special thanks to @Philo for adjustable LAs and pneumatic parts' files for Stud.io.

Hydrema 614 WIP

2 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Special thanks to @Philo for adjustable LAs and pneumatic parts' files for Stud.io.

Could you share a file with adjustable LA and pneumatic elements? I will be very grateful

It looks great! And I take back my comment about the black cabin details; the Dark Blush Grey looks great, and highlights the Yellow a little better.

It's crazy how all this fits in the box when the tractor contorts itself in that funny way. Great job!

17 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

It looks great!

Thanks!

And I take back my comment about the black cabin details; the Dark Blush Grey looks great, and highlights the Yellow a little better.

That was my intention - I'm happy you've made the same conclusion. I admit I also like the yellow-black clolour combination but that didn't look good enough for me at this model.

It's crazy how all this fits in the box when the tractor contorts itself in that funny way. Great job!

In fact, it's absolutely necessary to use all 10 functions to get into this pose (and took me some time to achieve the most effective and smallest one).

I hope I'll manage to make a video presentation on time.

The model looks beautiful - perfectly detailed, strong contender for the first place IMO. What is missing in this model is that it should be possible to turn the chair towards the back, even if only it would be made by shifting position of the backrest of it.

I like the trick with driving both linear actuators on the supports with one knob although for me this way of using the half stud gears is not perfectly clean when they are on the same level in a grid. Still a really cool use of that technique.

By the way - since you're not rotating the seat - why not route the HOG knob to the roof through the turntable? I don't like the idea of HOG knob being under the excavator arm.

Edited by SaperPL

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

The model looks beautiful - perfectly detailed, strong contender for the first place IMO

I'm pleased!

What is missing in this model is that it should be possible to turn the chair towards the back, even if only it would be made by shifting position of the backrest of it.

You're right but I didn't find any way how to make it possible, because the seat's backside is directly touching the triangular structure which secures the rear arm. Even if it was possible to rotate the seat backwards, there wouldn't be any space for the "drivers legs". In fact, I went through official backhoes sets and found none with this basic, yet necessary function.

However, I agree with you that it doesn't well (and is one of the worst things about this models, IMO).

I like the trick with driving both linear actuators on the supports with one knob although for me this way of using the half stud gears is not perfectly clean when they are on the same level in a grid. Still a really cool use of that technique.

I tried everything that came to my mind before used this gear combination but none of the others was acceptable for me. There doesn't seem to be any kind of stress, though.

By the way - since you're not rotating the seat - why not route the HOG knob to the roof through the turntable? I don't like the idea of HOG knob being under the excavator arm.

Well, yes. It isn't the most practical way to steer the model but I have a few reasons for that:

• There isn't any more space through the turntable - 3 hoses already routed there
  • I didn't like an axle going through the seat (which would make using that panel impossible)
  • The model's qiute rear-end-heavy, so when reversing, this solution would allow the front wheels to lose contact with the ground very easily

I hope I've answered all of your questions, if I overlooked something, please let me know. :wink:

11 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:
  • There isn't any more space through the turntable - 3 hoses already routed there

Ah yes, silly me. I totally missed that part.

11 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:
  •  I didn't like an axle going through the seat (which would make using that panel impossible)

I've had builds where I did move the steering axle away from the centre of the turntable. But still managing the hoses around it would be cumbersome so it's understandable to not go that route at this scale.

Anyway, once again - great model and it seems like the competition will be really strong this time around where there's a lot of almost perfect models with just small shortcomings that you could pick on, and it'll be a hard decision with voting. Good luck :)