Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Waagenaar

[OL- CH IV - CAT D] Checkpoint North

In Silitholina, now divided in a North and South side, is an old bridge. whilst originally not of much importance, with many of the bridges connecting both sides having been destroyed,
it has become an important stategic point between the Oleonese Territories in the North and the Commonwealth of Terraversa in the South. 

Where as both nations have set up fortifications or turned old-existing fortifications into important checkpoints on both sides of the river.
They decided to turn a small islet in the center of the river into a place of exchange where trade can happen freely between merchants and citizens of either nation.

On the Oleonese side, an old existing fortification that was built on the bridge was turned back to life. With a new reinforced gate and cannons watching the other side of the river.

51394846238_512a21684c_b.jpg
Checkpoint North-Silitholina

51394585316_84c4371145_b.jpg
Soldiers standing watch at the bridge aswell as in the building looking over the bridge.

51395315544_a4bbfefb14_b.jpg
The gate is a classic-medieval drop-down gate, intended to slow the enemy from advancing whilst being able to return fire through the holes!

51394585256_f316a275a0_b.jpg
Two soldiers inspecting a cannon, they have to make sure they're in a good state in case it'll ever be needed!

51395594820_dbb7404e62_b.jpg
One of the soldiers being distracted by a flock of seagulls flying overhead, they've probably come to steal his lunch.

Other parts of this collab together with @Bregir and @KotZ can be found here:

"Checkpoint South" by Bregir
"Center-River Trading Zone" by KotZ

--
OOC:

I've really been wanting to make something like this, it originally started as me wanted to try something like the classic Sabre-Island, but I ended up changing geometry and colours to fit the theme more. 
The most annoying part was definitely randomising the tiles on used for the cobble street. It just takes so long digitally. Same for the trees, in real bricks they take maybe 5 minutes to make, digitally? I spent 1h total on the four of them...

Anyhow, can probably be licensed as a small (building itself) or medium (if the bridge etc gets counted too) fort in North-Silitholina. I don't intend to do it myself as I don't have the funds for it. If someone else on the Oleonese side wants to, feel free to!
You hereby have my permission! ^^

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar

Cool build! It's massive! Nice style you've got with the wooden beams protruding from the white walls. The spiky ends of the portcullis are inventive, too. I haven't seen one built like that before. The flock of seagulls is a nice touch :grin:.

Maybe you could've added some 1x1 round trans-blue plates below the bridge to get the feel of water there? It would've also added a nice extra bit of color.

For some reason, the MOC makes me think of the city gate in Valencia even though it look nothing alike :laugh:. Maybe it's the combination of palm trees/sole standing gate.

This is an impressive and well-fortified Checkpoint North. The bridge has an elaborate and nice design.

I really like the sloped walls, cobblestone road surface, and building textures. Nice work!

I agree with Khorne that some blue under the bridge would have made it clearer that it was a bridge over water as opposed to a ditch, etc :pir-grin:

19 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Ahhh these 3 are great! @Thomas Waagenaar, @Bregir, @KotZ!!! The palm trees, white stone, wood timbers, tan scheme is very much in the style of French North Africa and the foreign legion, a great build.

@Thomas Waagenaar @Bregir @KotZSeconded! Check point love is everywhere with your builds guys! Plus you've legitimately added another type of building for BOBS dwellers and builders to look upon and try to come up with their own versions! 

On 8/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, Khorne said:

The flock of seagulls is a nice touch

You see seagulls, I see flying (digital) dollars thinking how much do seagulls cost these days!!! :pir_laugh2:

image.png

Edited by blackdeathgr

Love how massive and well-built this looks, tower, bridge, covering cannon and all!  The lanterns and palm trees are a great touch as well and along with the birds and sand green give this such a decided and well-defined vibe - can't quite place it (somewhat Caribbean, I think though?  Or maybe French North African, now that I read the comments :pir_laugh2:) but it's awesome! :pir-grin:  Great work!  The protcullis is sweet too! :pir-sweet:

Such a great job everyone! The palm trees are magnificent here.