Sign in to follow this  
weavil

[TC20] 8448 ReStreet Sensation

Here we go! Was late to the party so I had less "choices" and lack of blue. I ended up picking the 8448. Not sure which body style to do, as the set has the option to build different styles. This set is large enough to be able to add modern touches. Like an 8 speed transmission, paddle shifter, and a smoother body.

It's easier when you can make the original.

640x400.jpg

In trying to keep it close to the original design and layout while adding the modern features is still proving hard. I had remake the transmission like six times to fit in the original chassis layout. This was the third to last transmission.

640x400.jpg

But so far it's coming together!

640x400.jpg

Still lots of work to go, but it's been raining in Florida so I got time to work on it.

Edited by weavil

@weavil I wasn’t aware of this model as it’s from my Dark Ages so I searched for it on brickset. I’m not sure if this would be classed as a valid entry as when I look at images of the model I see the body built from studless beams and panels. I’d recommend you check with @Jim and @Milan

Well I think since it's base is mostly studded (look here: https://manuall.co.uk/lego-set-8448-technic-super-car/ or the first picture) it is an valid entry.

I for one am very curious to see 8448 with modern panels...

Given my reverence for 8448 it's more of a morbid curiosity, but still... :sweet:

It has and entirely studful chassis, and the bodywork uses mostly flexible axles to achieve the looks, while today panels play much bigger role in styling, so I'd say there's more than enough to change for a proper modernization.

I'm very curious also to see what this will become.

Finally done! Had some set backs and broken progress pics, but done.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

The rest of the pictures are here.

Edited by weavil

Still very recognizable! Nice use of 85x85p.jpg?1626704798.5114305 at the doors.

Just those #13/14 panels above the headlights look off... The passenger-side one seems to be mounted further to the front than the driver-side one. Anyhow, both should be mounted further back -- and maybe they should be less wide or mounted further toward the center as well.

Also the top of the windshield should be narrower I think.

I do like the tail lights, looks cartoonishly angry, but in a good way haha!

This is one of few sets that I still have assembled! Question - was there a possibility to make proper wheel arches? The rest I found really good.

Edited by 1gor

10 hours ago, astyanax said:

Still very recognizable! Nice use of 85x85p.jpg?1626704798.5114305 at the doors.

Just those #13/14 panels above the headlights look off... The passenger-side one seems to be mounted further to the front than the driver-side one. Anyhow, both should be mounted further back -- and maybe they should be less wide or mounted further toward the center as well.

Also the top of the windshield should be narrower I think.

I do like the tail lights, looks cartoonishly angry, but in a good way haha!

I had the big curved panels below the doors, but needed them for the front.

The 13/14 panels, I think the pins had weak clutching and it shifted.

I noticed that the height should have been one stud lower. 

10 hours ago, 1gor said:

This is one of few sets that I still have assembled! Question - was there a possibility to make proper wheel arches? The rest I found really good.

I thought I had the right parts to make arches, but I didn't.

As stated before, I had problems retrieving the rest of the W.I.P. pictures. I was able to get them uploaded and here they are.

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg

800x500.jpg