Tractor 851 was the first set I had when I was 8 or 9. 

I wanted to make a new version but the set was already chosen by BrickBuildingFox for the contest. No matter !

So I will show you a studless version of the 2nd set I received few times after 851: the bulldozer 856.

51271106917_8ab7987c4a_b.jpg856-01-original by avantime78, sur Flickr

I will build it at he same scale, and try to respect as well as possible the color scheme.

First step was to find the bag containing the parts, wash them, and after replace the parts (bushes, connectors 3651), brocken by the age, I built this old 856... Hopefully the gears were OK !

After I started by the bucket. I wanted it to be build with parts and not an all in one like black buckets. So here it is, the size matter the original version, 13 studs length and a flex on the Botton to close the hole.

51272883730_4b6a5c0d85_b.jpg856-02-benne by avantime78, sur Flickr

51272883735_0eb94501f6_b.jpg856-03-benne by avantime78, sur Flickr

Now it's time to imagine and built the bull itself !

Edited by Toitoine

That was a set that I was dreaming about as a kid but dream never came true, so I'm looking forward to see your modern interpretation

After brain storming, several digital and physical mokup, I hope I found a good compromise to include the 2 functions in a studless structure.

There are more gears in my version but it was necessary.

Here are 2 exploded views made with sud.io (new for me), LDD can't be used in my new Mac :( 

Blue gears for the bucket orientation. Green and red gears for lifting and lowering the bucket arms.

51289289059_50ff36243d_b.jpg856 studless_Copy-02 by avantime78, sur Flickr

51288571051_c21102513b_b.jpg856 studless_Copy-01 by avantime78, sur Flickr

I 've put 2 gears 36 tooth to replace the grey pulleys. I didn't found other parts, may be the steering wheel of the Ecto 1 ?

work in progress !

It would be good to use lienar acturtors or wormgears, to fix positions for functions.

I wanted to respect the original mechanism with racks. Functions are well fixed by using blue pin/axles.

Wow, good job. 

16 minutes ago, Toitoine said:

I prefer with the last ones

Yes, the actual version of the tracks looks way better. 

I think the axles around the cabin could be improved. How would an actual Technic set implement this? 

Edited by GerritvdG
Typo

I prefer the old style tracks, the new style feels too wide. Nothing wrong with using the old style either, as both the track links and the 40T gears are still very much in use.

thanks GerritvdG and Howitzer for your comment.

@GerritvdG What do you mean exactly ?

here are other views of the bulldozer. It has the same wheelbase as the original one, and one stud larger.

I tried to keep all the details of the 856 (exhaust pipe, front gril, head and rear lights,... 

51339639819_58d497e27b_b.jpgIMG_4712 by avantime78

51339639849_5aaaff7e2c_b.jpgIMG_4709 by avantime78

51339910800_5a54a3fc82_b.jpgIMG_4704 by avantime78

51338262812_b4acc5970b_b.jpgIMG-4716 by avantime78

51338988826_af60eda0f0_b.jpgIMG-4715 by avantime78

Edited by Toitoine

Couple of other thoughts:

If you're keeping the new style tracks, maybe use yellow sprockets if you have them? The black ones with the black tracks are so... black.

Also, it's a very small thing but the brown axle with stop in the linkage somehow rubs me in the wrong way, I'd change it for either LBG 3L axle-pin or frictionless 3L pin and find a way to connect them in the middle.

Other than these, it's a really nice and faithful recreation of the original.

1 hour ago, Toitoine said:

What do you mean exactly ?

I like the set, however it feels at some places as a literal copy of the old set. For example the grey horizontal axle at the cabin feels a little bit naked for a contemporary set. Just my thoughts.... 

Very nice!

I would replace the axle connectors and axles with liftarms (maybe in LBG to echo the original) - I can't see a real set these days using the axle connectors that way, when liftarms would be more robust and simpler.  

34 minutes ago, Hrafn said:

Very nice!

I would replace the axle connectors and axles with liftarms (maybe in LBG to echo the original) - I can't see a real set these days using the axle connectors that way, when liftarms would be more robust and simpler.  

But does the geometry work out? I mean, axle and connectors allow a slight misalignment of holes, while a liftarm doesn't.

Yes it works, no illegal build in my moc.

using liftarm which are odd will be a problem because all my axle connectors linked to black axles are pair.

After your comments, here are 3 improvements:

- yellow sprockets

51341278803_7f1e8da867_b.jpg

- connector 3L at the bottom of cabin

- black 3L axle pin instead of brown axles 3L.

51341799194_a7eef1f32e_b.jpg

thanks you all for these tips !

Edited by Toitoine

I like your recreation of my favourite technic model.

I started a studless version (cmy f. avatar) some time ago but got carried away from the original shape. I notice that you don't use any rubber bands on the bucket tilt. Is the bucket movement of your build as responsive as the original?

Hi AnyUser,

Yes it’s responsive, by use of blue axle pin in on gear, and direct mouvement given by low gear ratio.