ddavid

10291 Queer Eye Apartment Set

Edit - I don't know what I'm talking about, so I won't speculate about anything.

Edited by icm

I have to say - I’m pretty surprised that Queer Eye set is not even out of stock since it was released here in USA. Sure, that show is popular worldwide but the set is not sold well?

„Abuse of power“? Are you guys serious with this? :laugh_hard: In what world does a designer getting a project done qualify as abuse :snicker: Yeah, sure, I guess the Star Wars designers also “abused their power” when they vetoed Lucasfilm‘s suggestion and released Krennic‘s Shuttle instead of the 4-winged ‘hero’ shuttle Lucasfilm wanted them to do :tongue: Can’t recall a single person complaining about that.

And something tells me we wouldn‘t be having this discussion in the first place if this was any other set. I also can‘t recall people complaining about X-Men as a property when the 2014 Blackbird set flopped HARD.

I hope they continue with sets like this, not only because representation matters, but also because expanding the product range can attract new fans, which is always a plus. A lot of AFOLs love to complain about the sitcom sets for instance, but they do appeal to people that were never interested in LEGO before. I fail to see how that’s a bad thing :classic:

Even if not every idea is successful from a purely financial point of view, at least they try something new :shrug_oh_well: 

I find it particularly offensive if you think a set about badly dressed gay men from a trashy makeover show counts as representation of gay people. It's reducing people down to a stereotype, but I guess that's what straight people think of gay men.

The thing is it wasn't just a typical designer, it was the vice president of design, who now rarely designs sets, a typically designer wouldn't have been force through an idea for a new licence like that.

Did it attract new fans? No, it sold very poorly, and that was obvious from the start.

Vidiyo gets a lot of hatred too, so the discussion is being had with other sets.

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

„Abuse of power“? Are you guys serious with this? :laugh_hard: In what world does a designer getting a project done qualify as abuse :snicker: Yeah, sure, I guess the Star Wars designers also “abused their power” when they vetoed Lucasfilm‘s suggestion and released Krennic‘s Shuttle instead of the 4-winged ‘hero’ shuttle Lucasfilm wanted them to do :tongue: Can’t recall a single person complaining about that.

And something tells me we wouldn‘t be having this discussion in the first place if this was any other set. I also can‘t recall people complaining about X-Men as a property when the 2014 Blackbird set flopped HARD.

I hope they continue with sets like this, not only because representation matters, but also because expanding the product range can attract new fans, which is always a plus. A lot of AFOLs love to complain about the sitcom sets for instance, but they do appeal to people that were never interested in LEGO before. I fail to see how that’s a bad thing :classic:

Even if not every idea is successful from a purely financial point of view, at least they try something new :shrug_oh_well: 

You are hardly understanding market, probably never sold something or run something.

They tried, they failed. Maybe try again but another time the will completely get set like this off rails.

And btw Playmobil is going to get Mr. Bean license, yeah Playmobil is getting IP rights so far I say. And yes they are getting representation right, these figures always smile and they can be whatever you choose to them. For me its still company with family and christian traits in minds. No offense, lego is kids toys company not some platform...

12 minutes ago, Ondra said:

You are hardly understanding market, probably never sold something or run something.

They tried, they failed. Maybe try again but another time the will completely get set like this off rails.

And btw Playmobil is going to get Mr. Bean license, yeah Playmobil is getting IP rights so far I say. And yes they are getting representation right, these figures always smile and they can be whatever you choose to them. For me its still company with family and christian traits in minds. No offense, lego is kids toys company not some platform...

Maybe you can join a Mr Bean forum?

1 hour ago, TheMainBricker said:

[...] badly dressed [...] trashy makeover show [...]

Well, that's just your opinion :tongue: I haven't seen the show myself, so I can't speak about its quality, but at least it's won a ton of awards, got positive reviews, and seems to be very well-received among the LGBT community :shrug_oh_well: 

The thing is it wasn't just a typical designer, it was the vice president of design, who now rarely designs sets, a typically designer wouldn't have been force through an idea for a new licence like that.

"Force" in what sense? Did he take people hostage or something? :laugh_hard: How exactly is this supposed to be different to other sets? You do realise that regular designers also have a say when it comes to set choices, right? Besides, this is hardly the first time a designer got their passion project turned into a set, several of the Creator Expert cars started as models the designers created in their spare time and the entire Brickheadz line started as a model of an elephant one designer made as a gift to another.

[...] and that was obvious from the start.

Based on what exactly? It's quite a popular show and the set is well-designed. As I've said, at least they tried something new here, same goes for Vidiyo.

7 minutes ago, Ondra said:

What exactly is your point here? 

2 minutes ago, Ondra said:

And btw Playmobil is going to get Mr. Bean license

What on Earth does the Queer Eye set have to do with Mr Bean? Or Playmobil? :wacko: This is a LEGO forum, what Playmobil does or doesn't release is of no relevancy here

If any of you understand capitalism and market, we will be free of these questions.

No lets I want from some administrators to completely erase my account with every post, Im not participating with lego communities anymore. They are just waste of free time! Thats request with GDPR in my mind...

Go woke go broke and bored...

Edited by Clone OPatra
Changed to sensible size font

4 minutes ago, Ondra said:

If any of you understand capitalism and market, we will be free of these questions.

No lets I want from some administrators to completely erase my account with every post, Im not participating with lego communities anymore. They are just waste of free time! Thats request with GDPR in my mind...

Go woke go broke and bored...

I’m so bored and enraged that every conversation or thread about diversity, equality and sets dedicated to it, descends into this farcical sort of nonsense. The bad faith arguments are bad enough, the oblique comparisons are inane, the generic and personal insults are wildly inappropriate. Then there’s this sort of thing that makes no coherent sense, is the online equivalent to screaming at people in the street, and often only succeeds in ‘everybody’ being told to be nice and calm down.

If you want to be a bigot, please do it somewhere else. Likewise if you want to shout about the need for a UCS Lego Mr Bean.

Bla, bla, bla bull*hit bingo perfect!

Why dont you buy every set on market, why you expect from me to buy set that is parodying Gay communitiea Yes this is stereotypical view of gay community. Its trash set...

Believe me or not we have in family lesbian couple, they dont want this representation by corporates. They wants to live normal life live everybody. Do you understand?

This set is parodying these communities. And buying this you are part of problem!

Believe me or not!

@Ondra so you have one data point and one idea, and that obviously outweighs and overrules all other data points and other ideas. Sure.

Know when to stop. You've made your "point". You got really worked up over one LEGO set. Congrats.

Leave the thread now.

Only just caught up on the lawsuit drama and tbh it's kind of interesting, but not not interesting enough to get invested in. Fun question though: How similar does a minifig-sized graphic need to be to constitute infringement?

16 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Only just caught up on the lawsuit drama and tbh it's kind of interesting, but not not interesting enough to get invested in. Fun question though: How similar does a minifig-sized graphic need to be to constitute infringement?

Similar enough to be recognizable. After all, if you make a 4cm tall figure that looks enough like Darth Vader and try to sell it in large numbers, then Disney will get you on infringing their IP.

19 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

I find it particularly offensive if you think a set about badly dressed gay men from a trashy makeover show counts as representation of gay people. It's reducing people down to a stereotype, but I guess that's what straight people think of gay men.

This set is a representation of five specific gay men, just like named SW minifigures represent specific characters. And the target audience are fans of the show. I haven't seen the show, as I have no interest in people discussing fashion and makeovers, whether than are male or female, gay or heterosexual, identify as queer or not, or trans, but presumably the characters in the show are stereotypes and act up to those stereotypes and were picked for a reason. I doubt five random gay guys discussing other people's dress sense would be very different to five straight guys discussing other people's dress sense.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

"Force" in what sense? Did he take people hostage or something? :laugh_hard: How exactly is this supposed to be different to other sets? You do realise that regular designers also have a say when it comes to set choices, right? Besides, this is hardly the first time a designer got their passion project turned into a set, several of the Creator Expert cars started as models the designers created in their spare time and the entire Brickheadz line started as a model of an elephant one designer made as a gift to another.

If you've worked for a commercial company, and they had an employee who had access to the higher echelons of the company and was able to keep giving presentations for his pet project to them you would know that he had preferential treatment and used his position to do that.

Creator Expert was already a theme, and I don't believe Brickheadz was as original as that claim, Lego looked at Funko Pops and copied it. But again if the design is good enough it will gain traction within the company, you wouldn't have to give presentations and persuade people to do a set if people thought it was a good idea in the first place.

It was a dreadful idea for a set, I'm sure if one of Netflix's other makeover shows was Legofied there would be a lot more criticism, but because it is "queer" people believe it shows diversity and inclusion.

As someone who is not heterosexual I grow really tired of hearing from heterosexual people that this is what gay people want, apparently I have not been represented in Lego ever before, even though all non-licenced characters don't have a sexual orientation. I've never felt left out from Lego before, but the message coming from Lego themselves and heterosexual Lego fans is Queer Eye is for the gay fans and is something that they want.

I do feel sorry if there are gay people who think that Queer Eye is part of the gay identity et al. There is so much more out there!

I think sets like these are great for people that make their own lego cities. Those white masonry bricks are wicked and you’ll get interesting furniture to dress out your interiors. 
And if you’re a fan of the show it’s even better. I mean i have Jerry Seinfeld standing next to my TV :-)

42 minutes ago, Borex said:

I think sets like these are great for people that make their own lego cities. Those white masonry bricks are wicked and you’ll get interesting furniture to dress out your interiors. 
And if you’re a fan of the show it’s even better. I mean i have Jerry Seinfeld standing next to my TV :-)

Indeed. Literally any set or theme can bring useful parts and designs.

I’ve never seen Seinfeld, but I appreciate and understand other people know and like it. Oddly though, I have also not bothered to seek out a thread to repeatedly drag the set for a show I never watched that I have no interest in. Funny how that works 🤷🏽‍♂️