Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

CDC1 Tower: Mitgardian Watchtower

Not all of Mitgardia is covered in snow year-round!  Outposts in the south near Avalonia usually experience four seasons every year and are considered particularly nice postings among the Guild's soldiers.

51215470272_86d9ecf4df_c.jpg

Wow, I'm truly amazed this thing has been going for 10 years now!

A couple more pictures are here.  C&C always appreciated!

Very nice!  I like the inverted slopes on the walls, and the texture that doesn't go overboard.  You've managed to make a very Mitgardian tower (architecture wise) while putting it in an Avalonian setting, which I think can be tricky since the setting can really change the perception of the tower.  Love the trees and the elevation in the base.  The irregular base is nice too.  The only question I have is about the large rock in the middle with the gap.  Is it supposed to be a shale/layered rock of some kind?  I've seen limestones like this before and was curious what you were going for here.  All in all, very well done!

Oooh, the beautiful gold-and-green banner once again takes the grey skies of the world of the mortals!
The south borders are filling with the northern blood, while the tree-huggers keep trembling on their feet. 

Such a beautiful entry, MRCP! Amazing setting with an outstanding northern architecture. The base is very unique, and I love the dirt path cutting right through it. And the vegetation is spot on Avalonian. Truly a very clean and eye-catching build. Kudos!

Great to see another fellow Mitgardian join the party.
Skol!

I love the way you decided to do the rockwork in horizontal layers, it looks really good and for some reason the trees growing out of it don't bother me at all.  Speaking of the trees, great work getting lots of different branch angles on the left tree!  The tower is solid, too.

16 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Nice build!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice!  I like the inverted slopes on the walls, and the texture that doesn't go overboard.  You've managed to make a very Mitgardian tower (architecture wise) while putting it in an Avalonian setting, which I think can be tricky since the setting can really change the perception of the tower.  Love the trees and the elevation in the base.  The irregular base is nice too.  The only question I have is about the large rock in the middle with the gap.  Is it supposed to be a shale/layered rock of some kind?  I've seen limestones like this before and was curious what you were going for here.  All in all, very well done!

Thanks Grover!  Yes, I was trying to keep all the rockwork horizontal here in general as I thought it would be the quickest/easiest/most parts efficient method to build out the base and I thought it look pretty cool as well.  I do admit that the overhang got a little bit out of control for that section though!

14 hours ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

Oooh, the beautiful gold-and-green banner once again takes the grey skies of the world of the mortals!
The south borders are filling with the northern blood, while the tree-huggers keep trembling on their feet. 

Such a beautiful entry, MRCP! Amazing setting with an outstanding northern architecture. The base is very unique, and I love the dirt path cutting right through it. And the vegetation is spot on Avalonian. Truly a very clean and eye-catching build. Kudos!

Great to see another fellow Mitgardian join the party.
Skol!

Thanks Louis!

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I love the way you decided to do the rockwork in horizontal layers, it looks really good and for some reason the trees growing out of it don't bother me at all.  Speaking of the trees, great work getting lots of different branch angles on the left tree!  The tower is solid, too.

"for some reason the trees growing out of it don't bother me at all."  :roflmao:  That's fair!  Until you mentioned it it honestly never occurred to me that trees as big as are here probably would have a tough time growing as I depicted. :grin: 

I like the tiered rock base you created.  The rock with the greenery certainly looks like southern Mitgardia.  The angles you used in the tower are quite unique - I'd enjoy seeing more fortified buildings in the same style!

The rock base looks great.  The dense vegetation gives that nice pop of color.  I really like the design of the crenelations on the tower.  Nice job.  

Love that tower. It makes me think of dwarves, because of its stout and geometrically basic shape mixed with ornate details. I like the idea that dwarves built the foundational architectural style of Mitgardia, with humans adding on to it.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, jtooker said:

I like the tiered rock base you created.  The rock with the greenery certainly looks like southern Mitgardia.  The angles you used in the tower are quite unique - I'd enjoy seeing more fortified buildings in the same style!

Thanks jtooker!  I too wonder what this architecture would look like expanded to more buildings....  :wink::sweet:

On 6/4/2021 at 7:07 PM, zoth33 said:

The rock base looks great.  The dense vegetation gives that nice pop of color.  I really like the design of the crenelations on the tower.  Nice job.  

Thanks zoth33!

On 6/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, mccoyed said:

Love that tower. It makes me think of dwarves, because of its stout and geometrically basic shape mixed with ornate details. I like the idea that dwarves built the foundational architectural style of Mitgardia, with humans adding on to it.

Thanks buddy, I totally see what you mean.  In fact, I used similar angular door jam similar shaping with a previous dwarven build!

Very nice tower, the forms make it look regal, strong and kind of dwarfish, great to see more Mitgardian builds on a warmer temperature.
Thanks for sharing.

The texture of this tower is really wonderful. I love how you used all those slopes and wedged corners. The landscaping looks great too, the overall shape of the base compliments the tower quite well.