here is my attempt at recreating space Lego 886, probably one of the smaller sets. a favorite of mine as a kid.

lego_886.jpg 

Scaled up 4:1 which is a little challenging for modern Technic builds but it allowed me to use these wheels and tyres and to use the usual Technic steering wheel

adding functions to the space vehicle such as steering and suspensions and probably a small fake electric motor.

maybe i'll loose points for too much scaling and functions added but this is a fun build anyway!

technic_886.png 

Trying to replicate all movements of the minifigure. so far so good with the legs. Hopefully I can build it so the minifigure disassembles like real minifigs do.

Edited by MangaNOID

Gotta love you interpretation of the contest theme. Looking forward to see your progress!

These buggy’s appeared in a lot of the Classic Space sets and not just as its own set. A true classic Lego model. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Well, I did not expected to see this approach to technic minifig. But I love it! I really look forward to see the rover grow, as classic space is my favourite non-technic LEGO theme.

I remember playing with that buggy.  Building the minifig is genius.  In my opinion building something like this is much more challenging and interesting than just cloning an old technic set.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

That minifig! Did not expect that, but definitely sparkled my heart. 

Looks like a simple set, but simplicity means elegance and loveliness to me. :wink:

Edited by agrof

Wow, thanks for the inspiring comments everyone!

I thought maybe I’m going in a wrong, to far out direction but a bit more inspired now.

not that much more progress for now but working on two options for the megafig is, keep it going as above or add a Proper function to it. I know this is not too encouraged for this contest but this is technic :grin:

I am trying at the moment to make it so when you turn the head to the right the left leg extends. Turn head left, right leg extends, so you can Essentially walk it along. But then also fold both legs up so it can sit on the buggy. Few problems to solve but it could be getting their.

No pics this time sorry.

I got the legs walking by moving the head :classic:

Also The legs can bend by hand to sit the minifig without the head moving. Exactly what I wanted. Should be a ‘gif’ below if I uploaded right.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif 

Good going on the design front (well for my liking anyway, It may be a hard sell to get votes)

sorry it’s mostly LDD so far. I’m going to make a big BL order for all this white. Taking care to only use current parts that come in white that are easy to get locally.

Just the arms To go really and a few bits to tidy up then maybe on to the buggy.

untitled_single.png

Thanks!

I think Im finished on the minifig so on to the buggy.

I’ve had to widen the vehicle track by 1 stud each side to enable steering without compromising the body.

I have not used these steering bits before but it seems the links and the swing arms go together in official sets but it is strange that there is 1stud different lengths. 

I was hoping to have 4WS but I’m not sure I can fit that in such a small space with a reliable connection. 

another problem for me is trying to up the scale 4:1 creating even numbers to work with in a odd number system. 

a3abe110-19b1-431c-b36c-6fc79976a761.jpe

7b8bc88c-3313-4552-a1ac-fe3d20d7baad.jpe

573b431e-74b1-45c8-9033-dd366e610271.jpe

the shocks may be too highly so may need to somehow relocate. Maybe try and hide them in the upright steering column if they are too high.

So that last posted version was pretty bad so here is a much more accomplished version (I think) with 4WS, even though just one axle is shown. The other axle will be almost exactly the same.

828acefd-887e-4afc-a1e9-b279af6f110a.jpe
buggy_steering.png

I may do away with any motor reference as it’s a bit too hard with these axles.

regarding the outward design, I am thinking to round everything off instead of direct square copy to bring this 40+ year old set into the present, otherwise proportions are going well.

buggy.png

Constructive criticism welcome :sweet:

Looks great, the mini figure is incredible and I look forward to seeing the end result, for the torso, could a 1x3 or 1x4 wedge plate fit into the space, and I anticipate that there would be either a tile or sticker with the classic space logo

Thank you!  I don’t think I’ll use sticker, rightly or wrongly, I’ll do something built to replicate the space logo like this...

ea3fd084-d31e-42ba-a31e-921d4a9b80fa.jpeIt just sticks out a bit but probably not too fussed by that.

I like where this is going, nice work. The minifig is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while and the buggy is coming along great too.

Perhaps this is already on your to-do list, but I'd love to see the minifig get an actual face. I am not sure which part is the current yellow parts in your digital build, but like your space logo being brick build (which is my preference as well instead of a sticker), I'd hope it is doable with parts as well for the face.

Looking great so far @MangaNOID, a “small” request form me. I’ve got back into Lego classic space and now have a complete set of 1979 U.K. models. Once you’ve finished this and the competition is over would you share the cad model (ideally stud.io for me)

thanks

Thanks @Appie I hear you with the built face! But I’m not sure a face can be fitted in there with technic and retain the yellow. 

currently using the 3x3 L shape half lift arm with rounded support part 32249 stacked up.

maybe with a more system build or with someone willing to spend a lot of time...

hey @Seasider more than happy to share LDD file when it’s all finished etc. Just give us some honest feed back after you build it though :thumbup:.  must look like a great collection! 

Have you thought about using 41531 Cylinder part for making the air tanks on both the buggy and the minifig ? They’re available in both white and light grey and may smooth off the model a bit

On 6/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, Seasider said:

Have you thought about using 41531 Cylinder part for making the air tanks on both the buggy and the minifig ? They’re available in both white and light grey and may smooth off the model a bit

I tried them and they look great on the buggy, but they are too large for the right scale to the original, and they look way too over sized on the Minifig unfortunately.

Just finalising a few cosmetic details and deciding which buggy to use (Chassis are the same, 4WS independent susp front and rear). I know which I prefer, but I also know which would be more aligned to modern Technic builds.

Tyres will be changed to the small xerion tyres.

chassis's are all even to match original  8 and 16 studs wide and 24 studs long.

Small bricklink order to be able to build in real.

minifig__buggy_panel.png 

I’d go with the buggy on the right. It looks cleaner and more in line with the original to my mind

24 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’d go with the buggy on the right. It looks cleaner and more in line with the original to my mind

Seconded. The more angular look of the one on the right feels more correct, and considering it's a buggy used probably in zero atmosphere environment, it doesn't need to be aerodynamic at all, so the curved panel style feels a bit wrong.

I like some parts of each buggy. I would panel the sides but not the rear and steering. I also prefer the macaroni bends from the left one over the angle connectors of the right one. However they would not go well with the connectors at the back from the right one. Tough choice.

The right one feels more like the original, the roundness of those technic panels is breaking the effect on the left one. The right one also feels more like the moon base equipment to me where you see whole frame and there's no need to hide internals behind the panels to make it look good.

7 hours ago, howitzer said:

it doesn't need to be aerodynamic at all

2 hours ago, Qukie said:

I would panel the sides but not the rear and steering

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

no need to hide internals behind the panels 

Thanks for the advise, I have now finished...

ce469b14-1d96-4032-b969-40e794f58fe9.png

:grin:

Im surprised there is more like for the right one. I thought panels where the in thing, on average. 

I prefer the right one also so I may concentrate on that one now. It’s more scale accurate also.

Either way though I don’t think I can do much better. It’s a good idea for a set, but just not sure I’ve done it justice... but still happy to finish it and keep it built on the shelf :classic:

3 hours ago, Qukie said:

I like some parts of each buggy. I would panel the sides but not the rear and steering. I also prefer the macaroni bends from the left one over the angle connectors of the right one. However they would not go well with the connectors at the back from the right one. Tough choice.

For me too. If stacking liftarms is a no-go, stacking connectors is the ultimate sin in my mind.

Remove the panel on the rear, keep the panels on the side, keep the macaroni's on the front, but drop them from the rear.