Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

71008-4.jpg?20141217113071025-7.jpg?20190909022171037-12.jpg?20221123050371045-1.jpg?202312020345

If Indy theme is dead, we don't have an adventure theme. I have a strategy for 2024. Orient Express (Pippin Reed), Natural History Museum (Doctor Kilroy), then CMF series... Johnny Thunder, Hercule Poirot, kid for the train station ja Cobra guy for pyramid. MAYBE after indy comes Johnny.

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

We can only speculate, but my guess is that they anticipated low sales for merchandise based on DoD and thus decided to focus on RotlA and TlC only. Given the performance of DoD, it was a wise decision, at least from a financial point of view :shrug_oh_well: 

The bulk of the merch focus, other than toys specifically targeted at kids (a few Hasbro Worlds of Adventure playsets), was definitely on the legacy films.

Hasbro made figures of almost every major character from Raiders and TLC (the only ones missing were uniformed soldiers, which I can understand since they can't leave out certain details as easily like LEGO can), a few from ToD, and then 4 of the main DoD characters, with nothing at all from Crystal Skull.

The only brand that actually seemed to focus heavily on DoD was Funko, interestingly enough.  They were the only ones to make a Teddy figure.

I think it's a shame that companies were just sort of assuming the movie would fail in the merch department, I understand since Indy has never been the same merch giant that Star Wars, Marvel, and at this point Jurassic Park apparently are, but it would've been nice to get something more.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

[...] but it would've been nice to get something more.

Indeed. While the lack of ToD and KotCS/DoD sets can be blamed on Disney and assumably low merch sales in 2008 respectively, this doesn't fully explain the overall lacklustre treatment of the theme. Only one wave, just three sets, no Brickheadz, no polybag, no theme announcement, no keychains, NADA. Ridiculous.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

This figure gave me hope at the time; it appeared in “LEGO City Magazine Number 34” at the end of September / beginning of October 2021. It seemed to be a sort of addition to “LEGO City Wildlife” and brought “Larry Jones” to life.

Minifigure

Set

The magazine was full of references to Raiders, including the Boulder scene.
The posters showed "Larry Jones" with a whip and on a vine.

The magazine came before the film was postponed again and could have been an attempt at a warm-up for Indiana Jones or an unlicensed adventure series that could also be released.

We should also not forget that one reason for the death of the "DoD" issue could be the many postponements due to the pandemic and Harrison Ford's injury

1 minute ago, RichardGoring said:

$610 sold price on eBay for the Voodoo doll nanofig from the ToD set. Crazy!

I would say this is evidence that the theme still has a wide appeal, but I'm guessing the reason it sold for so much is more because of how rare a lego element it is than the specific subject matter.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

I would say this is evidence that the theme still has a wide appeal, but I'm guessing the reason it sold for so much is more because of how rare a lego element it is than the specific subject matter.

Agreed. I suspect it's the rarity rather than the theme.

But that doesn't mean Indiana Jones doesn't have a reasonable appeal for LEGO sets.

1 minute ago, RichardGoring said:

Agreed. I suspect it's the rarity rather than the theme.

But that doesn't mean Indiana Jones doesn't have a reasonable appeal for LEGO sets.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely does- at the very least, getting a diorama or two every year would probably sell just fine- I was just saying I don't think the nanofig's sale price is the evidence for the theme's popularity some will take it as.

Posted (edited)

Hey moderators? Where is Indiana Jones 2024 topic?

Edited by legoturtle

No need for an Indy 24 thread when there are no Indy 24 sets in the pipeline.

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Temple of Doom?

My guy, I'm sorry, I've been trying my best to be accommodating and play devil's advocate in favor of the theme, but I've got no other way to say this- THERE ARE NO INDY SETS COMING THIS YEAR, I'M SORRY, BUT THAT IS THE TRUTH.

The video you linked as your evidence the temple is coming literally says "sadly this set is still not releasing" as like THE FIRST SENTANCE TALKING ABOUT IT. He then just talks about the figure from the old test run that leaked, which we already discussed. What part of that video makes you think the temple is coming this year? Respectfully, did you watch it?

I truly do appreciate the optimism but at a certain point you have to face reality. We have no leaks or rumors of any sets on the horizon for indy. You need to let it go.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Also, the voodoo doll nanofig leak is the final nail in the coffin, since the guy who got the parts said all the other pieces from the set were destroyed. It‘s not coming.

Posted (edited)

Did it say LEGO is still going to make this Temple of Doom set? OR did I hear wrong...

... ok subtitles helps... hmm... so did they make that set BUT then they won't release it. Or did it stay in prototype phase? I think we could send email for LEGO and ask about this. What happened?

Edited by legoturtle

5 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Religion might also be 1 answer why LEGO be trait us :/ ... this is so sad. 

Obviously, religious stuff is always touchy…

Why did not TLG know this before? They have made Temple of Doom in past... is it this political WOKE ideology that LEGO is afraid. Small group of activist attack against LEGO. Thank kind of thing happened with Jabba the Hutt Palace. It reminds about some historical temple somewhere in the world. 

I have red that LEGO paid lot of money to fix their reputation. 

7 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Why did not TLG know this before? They have made Temple of Doom in past... is it this political WOKE ideology that LEGO is afraid?

No, it's this political WOKE ideology LucasFilm is afraid.

What you mean? LEGO made Temple of Doom. Now they made another... prototype at least BUT then is the problem now that they are afraid activist / this political atmosphere in the world?

Lucasfilm & Disney gave LEGO open hands to make a temple from a movie. LEGO paid lot of money for that... this should not consider Lucasfilm or Disney... LEGO made set where is Nazi pilot so it can't be about them. It has to be a religion. In that temple there has to be some kind of secret that people are afraid. What happened near that moment when that set was planned to come out?

There is our ANSWER.

What does ‘woke’ mean? I see it written down A LOT online. Anyway my wishes for next years theme are:

Indy And Marion wedding! With special figs Mutt in suit and John Hurts character

Indy & Mutt Library Motorcycle Chase! Lots of book pieces and maybe some students.

Helena Shaw rooftop rumble! 

Indiana Jones VS Hitler. The scene where Indy is disguised as a Nazi and gets Hitler to sign his notebook. 

What are you guys hoping to see?

It's like there's a gas leak in this thread...

To think, if we didn't have leakers we wouldn't have had 50 pages of talking in circles about why the worst Indy film in the original trilogy had its set cancelled. The original set was a better design than the remake anyways, so it's not like we really lost out.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, DaleCooperFBI said:

What does ‘woke’ mean? I see it written down A LOT online. 

In this concept it means - what has just happened. Amazing SET cancelled. Amazing THEME cancelled. WHY? Because Disney, Lucasfilm and THE LEGO GROUP all scare small group of activist - who would make BIG deal out of that set. In many different ways.

LGBT+, religion, war, white men are worst in the world, Nazis, British Empire. Kalimaaaaa... where they rip whole heart out off body. Then they will attack "it is children's toy" ... well it is lot of other things too. There are 2 child characters. Other has a needle and doll. Other knows some karate. AND THE LIST GOES ON and on .. .. . . . .. . 

They will attack against lego, Lucasfilm and Disney all of them at same time. Then they start to dig real peoples past, present and even future. It will be a disaster. So what is WOKE... well it destroyed this set. People who make these Wonderfull toys are scaring what to say, make, or even think.

If for example here . . . I say NAZI's are a very good villain faction and make Indiana Jones interesting. Someone comes straight away to tell how his / her family was this and that. How I can not speak about movies, fictional characters, lego sets & themes and so on. SAME TIME it is fine to talk about pirates, castle, western, lotr, hobbit, pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars and many others like CARS for example... polution, OIL, yes I know... STOP! THE OIL! ... you know exactly what I mean.

NOW! is the time that we can at least say that WOKE destroys things. It does not build anything.

Edited by legoturtle

Has everyone forgotten the rule of NO POLITICS?

It is right there in the guidelines. If you start yattering on with "political" this and "politics" that, well... You are breaking the rules. 

So: Stop it. Leave it alone. Don't get banned.

Super simple. 

(PS: This post is a line in the discussion. Any more posts continuing the subject you have been asked to stop? The poster will find themselves in isolation.)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also, the voodoo doll nanofig leak is the final nail in the coffin, since the guy who got the parts said all the other pieces from the set were destroyed. It‘s not coming.

I still posit that all copies of the ToD set are forever locked away in Hangar 51.

As someone who didn’t really enjoy ToD, the only sad thing about this whole affair is not getting a Short Round minifigure, as well as another Indy variant. I think it’s beyond pathetic that it took conceptualising this set, designing and possibly producing a new mould for Mola-Ram, and generating the box art etc. before they decided to cancel it. This really should have just been another set to begin with, especially as it was the flagship non-18+ set and that’s a huge reason why the wave we got felt so tiny.

Edited by Kaijumeister