Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

It has been said, that 77014 would be postponed or cancelled, why was not known. There was a rumor based on relgious reasons, but nothing confirmed

I'd find it hard to believe 77014 got cancelled for religious reasons. Maybe in part, but two of the other sets rely heavily on religious elements, too.

The diorama set is a temple with a golden idol which the Hovito warriors later bow in reverence to, while the lost tomb set has both the Ark of the Covenant and depictions of the Egyptian deity Anubis.

My best guess is LEGO finally drew the line at "scene which depicts guy getting his heart removed from his chest by pagan priest and then same guy is clapped in an iron cage and lowered into a molten lava pit as a human sacrifice..."

I'm extremely disappointed the ToD set likely won't see the light of day. The build is great and the minifigures are better. These other three sets are fantastic, though. Be thankful for what you do have, I suppose.

Edited by mirkwoodspiders

4 hours ago, Tariq j said:

How exactly does the boulder work? In the previous set it ran down some kind of track but here it looks like it would just drop if released.

Back of box images are out now! There is a gear on the side of the boulder which runs along a gear rack. I assume it runs using the twistable knob at the bottom.

4 hours ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

I am not able to spot the cobwebs / spiderwebs in Indy`s face, actually seems to be a double printed head peace

That’s already confirmed (and was surely obvious anyway).

———

Well, looks like the Temple of Doom (movie not the Lego set) wasn’t too racist to put in the instructions of the Lost Temple set…

Edited by sammy_zammy

This whole saga just makes no sense.

I really want Indy to continue so we can get Club Obi Wan and Circus Train. 

I think the only thing that I don't like the look off in the Lost Tomb set is the Ark of the Covenant. I was kind of hoping that it would be closer to the one that I made a couple of years ago.

Ark.png

3 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

So every Indiana Jones set comes with a second hair hat combo…………….

Like the Wrecker armor in the BB shuttle. Weird thing, but nice to get.

I’ve got some very mixed feelings on these sets. Initially I thought the hair/hat combo looked big when we got the first fig leak, but seeing it more clearly I think it looks pretty good. I think the facial expressions are a gigantic fail though. The smiling expression isn’t terrible, but the stern face is so cartoony it takes away from the fig. It’s crazy but I think I prefer the og face over this one. I was originally only gonna get the lost tomb set, but the ark build is so sad that it’s making me reconsider. On the other hand I think the fighter plane one has the best looking builds.

Any chance that everything is printed in the diorama set ? 

Mosaic symbols are definitely not brick builds since I saw the back of the box but we don't really know if these are printed tiled or stickers.

The same goes for stone figures, heads on the buttons and the plaque with quotes from the movie.

Edited by Khargeust

6 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

None of the sets have any ads in the instructions or any kind of teasers 😬 I’m more and more convinced each day that Indy is just cancelled but these sets were so far and made that they had to release them. 

I don‘t think that Lego and Disney want to spoiler the movie 2 or 3 months before release in theatres, so why should that indicate that there will be no DoD sets?!

Edited by DrHenryJonesJr
Or did you meen only ToD?

For what it's worth, the four OT Indy sets are now listed without images on Brickset.

My favourite details I can spot:

• They manage to capture Alfred Molina’s likeness so well! Hope the upcoming NWH Doc Ock is similarly good
  • The spiders on Satipo’s back are a nice touch
  • I like Belloq’s faceprint, and while he still gets the same old pith helmet part, at least it‘s in a new colour
  • R2 and 3PO are again referenced  on a sticker :laugh: Love that the blue Bionicle character (forgot her name) is referenced too!
  • The grail diary :wub: Just a print on a 1x1 tile, but it fits!
  • Jones Sr also has his umbrella
  • The play functions all look so intriguing! Hope we can see them in action soon

21 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My favourite details I can spot:

• They manage to capture Alfred Molina’s likeness so well! Hope the upcoming NWH Doc Ock is similarly good
  • The spiders on Satipo’s back are a nice touch
  • I like Belloq’s faceprint, and while he still gets the same old pith helmet part, at least it‘s in a new colour
  • R2 and 3PO are again referenced  on a sticker :lachen: Love that the blue Bionicle character (forgot her name) is referenced too!
  • The grail diary :wub: Just a print on a 1x1 tile, but it fits!
  • Jones Sr also has his umbrella
  • The play functions all look so intriguing! Hope we can see them in action soon

Thank God a sticker that you don't have to put on 2 separate Lego tiles again, but on a whole part :-)

8 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Ah you know how it is. You spend about 2 years on a big project at work and realise right near the end of it that your product might not work out due to obvious reasons that should have been evident from Day 1, we’ve all been there right?

Just kidding, but I’d be keen too to learn if this is due to a social / cultural reason or something to do with the design of the set itself. I’m leaning towards the latter because I can’t see how something as obvious as ‘this might upset some people’ wouldn’t have been brainstormed on Day 1 of development. One of the biggest shames of losing this set is the reduction in new Indy variants.

Yeah, idk. I totally see that happening considering the majority of LEGO designers are white men who may not be entirely sensitive to that sort of thing. Though I could see it being delayed due to structure, from the first leaks I've said it looks poorly designed.

Anyways, I wonder if it really is canned they had to delay the other sets to replace all the instructions since they're bound to show the ToD as well. I wonder how expensive that would be.

Edited by Alegrispa

The sweat on Belloq’s back is a chef’s kiss detail, wow. The tomb set finally makes sense to me now that I see the back, definitely a lot more interested in it now.

1 minute ago, DrHenryJonesJr said:

Thank God a sticker that you don't have to put on 2 separate Lego tiles again, but on a whole part :-)

I miraculously still have that sticker intact! Ditto for all the stickers from that set. They may not have been applied that well since it was one of my first sets and I was a child, but their current condition is surprisingly great.

5 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

Yeah, idk. I totally see that happening considering the majority of LEGO designers are white men who may not be entirely sensitive to that sort of thing. Though I could see it being delayed due to structure, from the first leaks I've said it looks poorly designed.

Anyways, I wonder if it really is canned they had to delay the other sets to replace all the instructions since they're bound to show the ToD as well. I wonder how expensive that would be.

We don't know the processes at Lego. Possibly the design department was given the task of redesigning the three best-selling sets from the original trilogy in 2008/2009. Below, as a highlight, the diorama for the most iconic scene.
Then preview copies were produced and presented to the management. Ultimately, it was decided that the ToD set was too controversial.
There may also have been some personnel changes in management and the decision-maker made a different decision in the end, but we will probably never find out in the end

Speaking of the leaks, I'm disappointed by the ark. From the leaked picture it looked like they had made a new angel-statue mould and despite a lacklustre set at least there was that to look forward to, but no.

I'm still really torn on these sets overall. I mean, on one hand, I'm really not interested in these sets as a whole. On the other hand it's Indy! And we may not see more of him in LEGO form for a really long time...

But still I'm not interested in that Nazi plane, the Lost Tomb just looks awkward, the Temple of Doom set looks awful (and also I never liked the movie), and the Temple of the Golden Idol is somewhat overpriced. But at least that last one doesn't appear to be a retail exclusive, so I may pick it up if it goes on sale. If not then maybe the Lost Tomb, at least to get a new Indy, Marion, Sallah, and a couple of neat stickers.

Edited by Alegrispa

2 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

And we may not see more of him in LEGO form for a really long time...

That‘s what worries me. This is our last chance to get Indy sets, so they better deliver on KotCS, ToD, and DoD! And missing stuff from RotlA and TlC too :tongue:

I hope the theme sticks around for at least another year before retiring again, this time for good

14 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That‘s what worries me. This is our last chance to get Indy sets, so they better deliver on KotCS, ToD, and DoD! And missing stuff from RotlA and TlC too :tongue:

I hope the theme sticks around for at least another year before retiring again, this time for good

Unless Disney finds a way to somehow keep the franchise alive or restart it, Indiana Jones, like Harrison Ford, is likely to retire with Indy 5. And since Lego still believes that without a movie, there is no LEGO, this might actually be the last opportunity to celebrate Indiana Jones. If there are still sets coming in June, I think that we will be supplied with them on the market by summer 2025. Maybe there will be another set for the Bethesda Indiana Jones computer game, there was also one for Star Wars The fallen order, but it depends on the success and hype of the game and I see only a very small, hardly worth mentioning chance.

8 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

None of the sets have any ads in the instructions or any kind of teasers 😬 I’m more and more convinced each day that Indy is just cancelled but these sets were so far and made that they had to release them. 

Stop claiming that with no evidence whatsoever. Even Promobricks says the second wave will release in summer. 

I could maybe see them doing a one off D2C set for the Anniversary of one of the movies. (Like the 40th anniversary of Crusade). But beyond that this feels like the chance for sets.

The Plane Chase is really growing me. The car looks good and I like the little details like the Grail diary and the umbrella. 

I actually think The Lost Tomb looks a little worse from that angle as it does seem to be a wall on a baseplate. I suppose the Anubis statues look good though. 

The Temple Escape is perfect. Great minifigures and and play features. They could've included Jock's plane but then I suppose being a diorama they wanted everything focused on the one build rather than having side builds. 

I like the sets more than I initially thought I would (after the first images leaked).

The Plane Chase is probably the best set imo. Minifigures are great, and I'm surprised as to how accurate the Nazi pilot is (bit.ly/3mq2USK). The build is spot-on, looks really great.

The Lost Tomb looks better after seeing it from various angles. It still feels empty in places, but it has more play value than I thought. It also has the best minifigures out of all the sets.

I was also wrong about The Temple of the Golden Idol — it's actually a good set. It's absolutely filled with details, and I like all three sections. Minifigures are awesome too.

I also love how each Indiana Jones variant is exclusive to its set. Bummer that we're not getting his best look tho, which is the ripped shirt one.

The whole ToD-situation is even more funnier because the boxes got a picture of ToD Indy on their sides :D
I'll be optimistic that the set will be released at a later date and that a third and maybe final wave will be released in the spring of 2024 mirroring the release in 2008/2009. 

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Like the Wrecker armor in the BB shuttle. Weird thing, but nice to get.

I only got one in my copy of the Havoc Marauder (:look::cry_sad:) so it's not a sure thing. 

25 minutes ago, dilligan said:

Is that a new flat chest lid in 77012?

Flat chest lid: yes, new: no

54 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The whole ToD-situation is even more funnier because the boxes got a picture of ToD Indy on their sides :D

It‘s like they‘re taunting us. You want that ToD Indy? You want that minifig?! Do ya?!?! Look at him, grinning at you on the side of the box! Well too bad, you can‘t have it :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants