Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

My thoughts are as such on the rumored Indy 2022 theme (and what the designers are probably going through in deciding on what to produce):

LEGO picking the "right" set idea for most Indy fans, LEGO fans, and children is a bit like picking the Holy Grail amongst all the 30 or so false ones in Last Crusade. Pick well, (Temple Escape from Raiders, for example) and it's name will live evermore in the halls of set history... but just random picking of cool stuff (I mean like if they did a "Nuke the Fridge set" or something awful like that) and it will not be well received and be confined to the dustbin of time. The problem becomes there are so many scenes, characters, and situations to choose from that can be done properly that you increase the false grails by about triple (or more) with only a few "true" ones sprinkled into the mix. Add in personal bias of LEGO Designers for certain features / scenes, fans wanting something impossible or unlikely to be produced, the studio's veto power, plus things we probably have no idea about, and you've just made deciding the right set (or sets) into something downright impossible to do 100% correctly, or even 80%. Think of a vault filled with maybe 300 grails. All seem similar, or even exact duplicates at first. You take one, give it a good once over, and cast it aside. Maybe you come back to it later on (like the 2009 Temple of Doom sets came out later), or maybe you don't. You are blindly guessing, with only research (market research) telling you where to look. And even if you get the right idea for 75% of all people, it can be wrong to everyone else as you can't please everyone all the time.

To summarize: I wouldn't want to be a Set Designer on this theme if I worked for Lego. It would be incredibly difficult to choose a set, much less just six sets for the four films as they are now rumored. As a Indy fan, buyer of sets from 2008 and 2009, and LEGO MOC builder of things we didn't get, I do hope they choose wisely.

I want this theme to return as much as anyone but I don’t really see what new confirmation there is?

That being said, all it would take is a remake of 2008’s Temple Escape to satisfy me but I’ll happily take more lol.

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Wait what?

Was this confirmed? I dont see anything about on IG

Maybe check out the Avatar thread:

@Hoth Rebel

Said the man who hates snakes theme is back this summer.

Here is his post:

"I've been out of LEGO leaks for a while, because I thought this was already known, but yes Avatar (James Cameron, not the Last Airbender) sets are coming in the second half of 2022. The same goes for an older theme which has a man who hates snakes. 

I'm sure Falconfan can confirm this as well. "

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Where was 6 sets said

This came from me, read the thread man. Now, I don't know 100% if it's 6 sets, that's what I heard but since a leaker confirmed the theme is back. 

Edited by Mr No

10 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

LEGO picking the "right" set idea for most Indy fans, LEGO fans, and children is a bit like picking the Holy Grail amongst all the 30 or so false ones in Last Crusade.

Luckily, they should know what to choose based on the sale figures of the 2008/9 sets and their demand on the aftermarket :laugh: I think a balance between vehicles (Venice boats, truck chase, jungle cutter, planes) and booby-trapped locations (grail temple, Hovito temple, temple of doom, Ugah temple) would be a pretty safe bet

11 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

To summarize: I wouldn't want to be a Set Designer on this theme if I worked for Lego. It would be incredibly difficult to choose a set […]

Isn’t that the case for any licensed theme? :wink:

D2C Temple of Akator, I would buy that. It should include a flying saucer too. :tongue:

I wonder if the theme will have longer legs if it sells, with the sets coming in the summer and the 5th film, they also have a videogame from Ubisoft which is an original story, so we might get more sets. 

Well that is certainly exciting news. I was expecting this theme to make a comeback with the new movie releasing, but it's so nice that they didn't push the sets back to 2023.

The fact that a reliable leaker confirmed it adds a lot of credibility to @Mr No's initial rumour about there being six sets.

And just the trilogy, huh? Fine for me.

11 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Well that is certainly exciting news. I was expecting this theme to make a comeback with the new movie releasing, but it's so nice that they didn't push the sets back to 2023.

The fact that a reliable leaker confirmed it adds a lot of credibility to @Mr No's initial rumour about there being six sets.

And just the trilogy, huh? Fine for me.

Now, the 6 sets is what my friend told me, there might be more. I hope we get more info soon because other than that I have no idea on what the sets really are. I do hope we get a dual molded hat. 

4 minutes ago, Mr No said:

Now, the 6 sets is what my friend told me, there might be more. I hope we get more info soon because other than that I have no idea on what the sets really are. I do hope we get a dual molded hat. 

A new hat mould is a must. I absolutely hate when LEGO gives hairy characters hats that make them look bald.

We should start getting 2HY leaks soon. Perhaps jot the set names or descriptions, but set lists will do for now.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

A new hat mould is a must. I absolutely hate when LEGO gives hairy characters hats that make them look bald.

True, I see something like new Han Solo hairpiece combined with the old hat which I think is good for Indy. The Rex Dangervest hat+hair mold doesn't suit Indy, not that hair. 

1 hour ago, Mr No said:

The Rex Dangervest hat+hair mold doesn't suit Indy, not that hair. 

Yeah, you're right. My memory must've deceived me, I remembered the hair being much shorter than it actually is. This wouldn't work at all :head_back: A new piece would indeed be the best solution, and considering we got three brand-new pieces for Indy in 2008, a dual-moulded hair/hat combo piece shouldn't be too much to ask for.

If we take a look at the moulds that were introduced for this theme back in the day, pretty much all of them still hold up and could also be featured in new sets, such as the whip, satchel, Hovito idol, crystal skull, Mola Ram's fancy hat, ant, Spalko's bob cut hairpiece, Mutt Williams' hairpiece, and Willie's hairpiece (from the Shanghai set). In fact, some of them don't even need to be brought back since they're still being used on a regular basis :classic:

Speaking of new moulds: I think the new flat treasure chest lid introduced in the upcoming Harry Potter sets would make for a good basis for the Ark :thumbup:

Indy coming back strong is good, it makes me think that Pirates of the Caribbean didn't sell that well but not awful either so that's why they only did one set for that theme. This year is gonna be expensive. 

I expect these sets to get remakes:

71BB0HfZEXL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81LOBkJqBuL._AC_SL1388_.jpg

7621-1.jpg?200712160624

And the minifig hat mould could be something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This set could get a remake too:

image_b15b3732-a7f1-437d-a21f-2cf16fc254

Of course, they could be smaller and more detailed. 

Where is the reliable source for these rumors coming from? Not saying I doubt it, but I’m going to wait for falcon’s confirmation before I get too excited.

8 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Where is the reliable source for these rumors coming from? Not saying I doubt it, but I’m going to wait for falcon’s confirmation before I get too excited.

@Hoth Rebel

Said it's happening and he is reliable. 

Cmon, @Falconfan1414

Say something. 

LEGO Indiana Jones making a comeback is great news! One thing I believe is needed: a new hat for Henry Jones, Sr.

Very much looking forward to more news on this theme!

8 minutes ago, CommishGordon said:

LEGO Indiana Jones making a comeback is great news! One thing I believe is needed: a new hat for Henry Jones, Sr.

I think the existing ‘farmer’ hat could work for him.
Have to say I’m not that bothered about Indy getting a hat with hair piece, but it’s a minor point anyway. Exciting that these are happening!

16 hours ago, CommishGordon said:

A new hat is a must. 

I was thinking, I think a grail knight set would make for a good small $15 one. 

Edited by Mr No

3 hours ago, Mr No said:

I was thinking, I think a grail knight set would make for a good small $15 one. 

That would be an amazing set, but the scene's better suited for a larger set IMO simply because it requires 5 minifigs: Indy, Elsa, the Grail Knight, regular Donovan, and Donovan, he who has chosen poorly (or rather he who fell for Elsa's trickery :tongue:). The way I imagine this set, a play feature like the one found in the Isla de Muerta set from the PotC theme would be a must :laugh_hard: 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:44 PM, Mr No said:

I expect these sets to get remakes:

71BB0HfZEXL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81LOBkJqBuL._AC_SL1388_.jpg

7621-1.jpg?200712160624

And the minifig hat mould could be something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

This set could get a remake too:

image_b15b3732-a7f1-437d-a21f-2cf16fc254

Of course, they could be smaller and more detailed. 

I’d be super happy if this was the wave. I’d also like either the truck chase from Raiders or the Shanghai Chase from Temple of Doom. Regardless, if this theme is truly coming back, then I’m not skipping a single set this time around. I only got 7620 (which I still have built and displayed), 7624 and 7625 last time.

17 hours ago, The Stud said:

I’d be super happy if this was the wave. I’d also like either the truck chase from Raiders or the Shanghai Chase from Temple of Doom. Regardless, if this theme is truly coming back, then I’m not skipping a single set this time around. I only got 7620 (which I still have built and displayed), 7624 and 7625 last time.

Me too, I plan to get a lot of JW sets, but Indy and Avatar 2 will be the first themes where I get all the sets. 

Well, this is the closest thing well ever to an Adventurers reboot so Im very excited to see whats in store for us