Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, wesker said:

If they decide to leave out the generic German and Russian soldiers I'd be completely okay with it. The primary characters of the films are what matter. As long as they can deliver on all the major players then that's good enough for me.

Agreed. All we need are the main villains/henchmen (not sure about Tohst, Dietrich, and Vogel though) and all of the major companions, and I’m satisfied :classic: And please include Sallah this time :tongue:

On 6/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Karalora said:

The circus train would be an epic set! The original Indy theme really did LC dirty by only having the one small and fairly generic set while the other classic trilogy films got 2-3 each.

There were actually three Last Crusade sets from the 2008-2009 line, one in the first wave (7620 Indiana Jones Motorcycle Chase) and two in the last (7197 Venice Canal Chase and 7198 Fighter Plane Attack).

Each of the four theatrical films got at least two sets, and up to six (excluding promos, extended line stuff, etc.). The part of the screen franchise that was most woefully underrepresented was the TV series, which had no sets at all despite making up more than 80% of the filmed franchise in terms of sheer running time. Of course that’s because it’s the part of the franchise with which most people are least familiar, but I’m hopeful (not optimistic, exactly, but hopeful) it’ll get some love if and when the LEGO theme returns.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, Lego David said:

I've got mixed feelings on the prospect of Indiana Jones returning in LEGO. First off, there is the issue of including Nazis/Communists in the set, which as others have pointed out, could very easily blow up in LEGO's face if not handled properly. Add to that the recent stream of sets they cancelled due to "not keeping with the brand values" such as the Ofsprey, and they wouldn't even be able to make any sets based of military vehicles in the first place, even if they are fine with including German or Russian soldiers. 

Or if they decide not to include any of those whatsoever, then what would even be the point of releasing more Indy sets in the first place? If they do end up releasing those villains though, I'm hoping for some updated military outfits that could be used for purist solider minifigures. 

Secondly, LEGO has changed a lot since the last time they made Indy sets, Nowdays, it seems like their focus is mainly on iconic locations and vehicles, which Indy has none of. Unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter, Indy doesn't have any instantly recognizable locations or vehicles, so there isn't much they can do if they wanna go the D2C route. Not to mention how there has been a noticeable decline in straight-up playsets within LEGO lately, so even if we do get a fully-fledged line of sets, I'd imagine they would look nothing like the original ones. Besides maybe a Temple of the Grail, I can't think of any other location-based sets they could do.

Third, unless they do one massive D2C to capitalize on nostalgia, I honestly can't picture a full line of sets even selling that well. Unlike Star Wars, the Indy franchise has had a very limited presence in pop culture outside the original three films. The fourth movie was very poorly received, and didn't really help boost the franchise's popularity or bring in new fans in any meaningful way. I'd imagine the same would happen with this fifth movie, given its long development hell. Kids who are currently into LEGO will most likely have no prior exposure to the series, unless maybe their parents showed the movies to them or something like that. 

So honestly, as much as I would still prefer a fully-fledged theme, still I feel like it might be more profitable on LEGO's part if they just released one single large D2C set and tried luring in the nostalgic adults (even though I still am not very convinced that any of the locations in the movies are iconic enough to deserve a D2C). This has worked very well with those one-off nostalgic properties from LEGO Ideas, and honestly, I feel like Indy might fall into the same category at this point. 

Really? The films are full of iconic locations. The second movie is even named for one. I mean, I don’t profess to know how well they would do as sets in 2022, but FWIW the original line sold notably well, and a healthy chunk of the line was made of locations, along with vehicular chases and a couple other action setpieces from the films.

Have to admit that I’d entirely forgotten that plane fight set from LC. Maybe we can hope for Alexi Sayle and his beloved Rolls Royce in a reboot 

10 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Really? The films are full of iconic locations. The second movie is even named for one. I mean, I don’t profess to know how well they would do as sets in 2022, but FWIW the original line sold notably well, and a healthy chunk of the line was made of locations, along with vehicular chases and a couple other action setpieces from the films.

Yeah, iconic locations that don't even have any recognizable appearance. How did the Temple of Doom look like, again? Oh right, it was just an underground chamber with a stone skull and a human sacrifices pit. Would that be iconic enough to justify making sets based off of? I don't think so, and even if they do, there is no way to make it out outside the playset format. The original 2009 Temple of Doom set was entirely a playset dedicated to a minecart chase gimmick that took a lot of space and barely even looked good on display. 

Edited by Lego David

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

Yeah, iconic locations that don't even have any recognizable appearance. How did the Temple of Doom look like, again? Oh right, it was just an underground chamber with a stone skull and a human sacrifices pit. Would that be iconic enough to justify making sets based off of? I don't think so, and even if they do, there is no way to make it out outside the playset format. The original 2009 Temple of Doom set was entirely a playset dedicated to a minecart chase gimmick that took a lot of space and barely even looked good on display. 

Yeah I disagree.

all of the old sets could be revisited, and all could be improved on. We *could* get external facades for the Grail Temple, Indy’s childhood home, the temple of Doom, the Indian village, the Venetian Library, Indy’s classroom and office etc etc. Heck even a big Castle Brunwald, or the German airport with Zeppelin. We could have landscape builds from the South American waterfall, the raft on the rapids, the Indian jungle, or the Arches / Utah sequence in LC. We could easily get scenes based on the inside of the Egyptian tomb or temple, Club Obi Wan the Temple of Doom, etc.

heck we might even get something left-field like a big buildable Ark of the Covenant, or a Nuclear test site play set, or a fridge.

There are obviously loads of vehicle options, multiple planes, trains, the Zeppelin, trucks, amphibious machines, and boats. 

LEGO's focus on vehicles above all potentially hurt them here. The Indy movies are more about the places Indy travels to and what he finds there, not the means he uses to get there. If you want play functions...come on! Booby traps, hidden passages, clever escapes! Castle Grunwald has a rotating fireplace. Are you telling me TLG can't think of something cool to do with that?

49 minutes ago, Karalora said:

LEGO's focus on vehicles above all potentially hurt them here. The Indy movies are more about the places Indy travels to and what he finds there, not the means he uses to get there. If you want play functions...come on! Booby traps, hidden passages, clever escapes! Castle Grunwald has a rotating fireplace. Are you telling me TLG can't think of something cool to do with that?

And the collapsing staircase! And the best bad Scottish accent ever. And tapestries. 

3 hours ago, williejm said:

like a big buildable Ark of the Covenant

Lol! Not in a million years

1 hour ago, Karalora said:

The old theme had plenty of location-based sets though :laugh: Sure, they threw in as many vehicles as they could, but there was still sufficient focus on the important stuff too

36 minutes ago, williejm said:

And the best bad Scottish accent ever. 

Who do you mean? Wasn’t Henry Jones Sr. the only Scotsman in the entire series? Unless you do refer to him :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, Karalora said:

Castle Grunwald has a rotating fireplace. Are you telling me TLG can't think of something cool to do with that?

There's even a dedicated piece (well, two actually) for that from HP

The truck and the jeep is stil the best looking military vehicles TLG have done, imho. They don't look too shabby even today and it would hard to majorly improve on them

I'd LOVE a Mark VIII tank, but that's not going to happen

I'd also love a theme crossover ... Petra in big Architecture style and the RR in Creator Expert style :thumbup:

.. And the new film is gonna be shit, I gaurantee it

Spoiler

(there's a plot leak floating around with time-traveling Nazis and whatnot, sigh)

Edited by 1974

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

There's even a dedicated piece (well, two actually) for that from HP

Which sets are you referring to?

3 hours ago, williejm said:

all of the old sets could be revisited, and all could be improved on. We *could* get external facades for the Grail Temple, Indy’s childhood home, the temple of Doom, the Indian village, the Venetian Library, Indy’s classroom and office etc etc. Heck even a big Castle Brunwald, or the German airport with Zeppelin. We could have landscape builds from the South American waterfall, the raft on the rapids, the Indian jungle, or the Arches / Utah sequence in LC. We could easily get scenes based on the inside of the Egyptian tomb or temple, Club Obi Wan the Temple of Doom, etc.

Well I guess there are a lot of locations, but all of them seem quite niche in terms of recognizability. A lot of the locations you mentioned also only appear in the movies for only a couple of minutes and it would be quite hard to justify making any sets based off any of them. 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30101#T=C

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40249#T=C

Allthough they haven't been used in +15 years

2 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Well I guess there are a lot of locations, but all of them seem quite niche in terms of recognizability. A lot of the locations you mentioned also only appear in the movies for only a couple of minutes and it would be quite hard to justify making any sets based off any of them. 

Are you watching the movies at 8x speed?

I mean, have a look at some other sets in licensed themes, be they vehicle, play set or location-based, and we can see that some are iconic, some are for play value, and rarely are they represented according to how many minutes screen time they get.

... and of course some are entirely made up to house the minifig characters, which is also to be expect from a toy brand. 

28 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Which sets are you referring to?

I’m guessing the revolving portrait part?

39 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The old theme had plenty of location-based sets though :laugh: Sure, they threw in as many vehicles as they could, but there was still sufficient focus on the important stuff too

Who do you mean? Wasn’t Henry Jones Sr. the only Scotsman in the entire series? Unless you do refer to him :laugh_hard:

Indy arriving at the castle as Lord Clarence MacDonald view the tapestries - ‘ if you are Scottish, I am Mickey Mouse!’

41 minutes ago, 1974 said:

.. And the new film is gonna be shit, I gaurantee it (there's a plot leak floating around […]

1) Please use the spoiler tag when talking about potential plot leaks and 2) this leak sounds fake. Not every so-called leak is actually real. “My baby girl” is still waiting for her re-match :tongue:

11 minutes ago, williejm said:

Indy arriving at the castle as Lord Clarence MacDonald view the tapestries - ‘ if you are Scottish, I am Mickey Mouse!’

Completely forgot about that scene… Need to rewatch the movies again in preparation for the 5th one! It’s been around 10 years since I’ve last seen them

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

1) Please use the spoiler tag when talking about potential plot leaks and 2) this leak sounds fake. Not every so-called leak is actually real. “My baby girl” is still waiting for her re-match :tongue:

Sorry, forgot about that. Let me see if I can get it to work ..

Spoiler

Might be fake, but hey, it's Disney. They're quite good at messing up a major franchice. There are however, REAL pictures of HF doning the IJ suit at +78 years old and that just looks wrong. Nobody is wearing the same suit for sixty years and nobody was wearing that in the seventies anyway

Edited by 1974

31 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Sorry, forgot about that. Let me see if I can get it to work ..

Hide contents

Might be fake, but hey, it's Disney. They're quite good at messing up a major franchice. There are however, REAL pictures of HF doning the IJ suit at +78 years old and that just looks wrong. Nobody is wearing the same suit for sixty years and nobody was wearing that in the seventies anyway

It's gonna suck, Mickey Mao's involvement guarantees it. 

Thanks, more negativity, exactly what the world needs :hmpf: They’ve just started filming a couple of weeks ago, so can we please wait for the film to actually come out before criticising it? And what on Earth does this have to do with potential sets? :tongue:

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Thanks, more negativity, exactly what the world needs :hmpf: They’ve just started filming a couple of weeks ago, so can we please wait for the film to actually come out before criticising it? And what on Earth does this have to do with potential sets? :tongue:

Now you’re gonna get trolled for being cultist, too positive, *why can’t we be critical about all the things* ... 😝

2 hours ago, williejm said:

I’m guessing the revolving portrait part?

That part is a bit outdated, isn't it? It's been out of production for handful of years.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, LOTR34 said:

If I had to choose which theme to bring back:Adventurers or Indiana Jones,I'd chose the former.The adventurers sets are more creative because Lego isn't tied down by a license and not to mention,nostalgia aside,the original Indy sets aren't that great.Of course there are few exceptions like 7623.

Adventurers for me too - would allow Lego to explore new locations and include appropriate wildlife.

18 hours ago, williejm said:

Now you’re gonna get trolled for being cultist, too positive, *why can’t we be critical about all the things* ... 😝

Joke’s on them, I’m already in a cult! It’s the JMOAAHEI (Judging Media Only After Actually Having Experienced It). Still need to work on the acronym. Oh, and there aren’t any other members beside me. Feel free to join though, I have biscuits :snicker:

98138pb037.png
11 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

Adventurers for me too - would allow Lego to explore new locations and include appropriate wildlife.

Kind of rude to promote the knock-off in an Indy thread :laugh_hard:

I'd not heard of any plot-leaks, so I went and had a look, and is anyone else concerned that the websites which are reporting these leaks - aside from being highly opinionated - aren't able to maintain consistency about what the leaks actually say? 

Spoiler

Apparently it's a film about "time-travel" and yet at the denouement there are cameos from various ghosts. Which is it? If it's time-travel, surely they'd have cameos of the characters while alive. If it's ghosts, what does time-travel have to do with it? Honestly the whole thing reads like somebody pulling something out of their big behind because they want Indiana Jones 5 to be a flop. That said, I'd actually quite enjoy the film according to the leaks - time-travel gets a bad rap not because it's inherently bad, but because it's sometimes done badly, and nothing about the leaks says "this is going to be handled badly". Marvel did time-travel after all. And if it does lead to a Lego theme, think of the potential parts - trans-light blue or trans-light green minifigures of a motley selection of Indy villains? Yes please! :imperialguard_commander1:

Spoiler

In this case it's bad because it's only there to get around the fact that HF is too old to play the IJ people actually want to see. Heck, he was way too old in the fourth film

Considering how the only sources I see for these supposed leaks are clickbait and not reliable whatsoever, I think it’s safe to disregard these for now. The film has only been filming for two weeks and I think it’s far too early to be having full story leaks at this stage, especially when we don’t even know the title yet which makes it easy for people to make these “scoops” materialize out of thin air. I am still feeling very optimistic about this film.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:23 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Exactly. People have the right to respectfully criticize… but we know so little about the film right now that there’s very little to criticize in the first place!

On 6/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, Karalora said:

Oooh, now I want a Castle Grunwald set lol. I recall that being one of my favorite levels in Lego Indiana Jones, and The Last Crusade is my favorite Indy movie anyway, so that set would be an instant buy for me.

What I would love to see if this theme returns next year is a D2C Golden Idol Temple from the beginning of Raiders. Just imagine if they remade that 2008 set as an 18+ level display piece with all sorts of features. If we get the same level of representation for Indy that we got for POTC or Ghostbusters in recent years, I’d love for that to be the singular set we get.