Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - General Discussion

25 minutes ago, CMP said:

Did that fix it? It took some doing to actually figure out how to get photos onto EB, I'd forgotten what a ridiculous process it was. :laugh:

Yes, but only in the Statistical Registry thread - The images in the Hall and your signature are still not showing up. 

Edit: @CMP: All images are showing up for me, now. 👍

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

59 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Is this just a game-mechanic, or can Tvilgards actually split and rejoin at will? 

Just a game-mechanic. Maba controls where the legs go on his turn and then Abam gets control on his turn.

10 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

@CMP

Your image is looking like this for me:

Not sure if it's just me. Same with the signature and signup post.

Went ahead and re-hosted them all, perhaps that will keep them from evaporating into the ether...

6 minutes ago, CMP said:

Went ahead and re-hosted them all, perhaps that will keep them from evaporating into the ether...

Well whatever you did it seems to be working now. 

Hiya! So my char has a "utility belt" equipped which give +1 engineering. Should I reflect that in my char stats or is that for the MM to notice when they do their rolls? Thanks!

6 hours ago, CMP said:

Hey it works now! :laugh: Cool character :pir-thumb:

@Zepher

51314100109_d75af626d0_b.jpg

The character I came up with, an Elemental Celestial of mystical inclination. I'd've used one of those new wands for the walking stick if I had any, but sadly I don't. :sad:

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg

Oh that's rad. What's the tile from?

Just now, KotZ said:

Oh that's rad. What's the tile from?

I believe it's from the Doctor Who set released a few years ago.

That was a cute set, honestly. I still have the TARDIS built somewhere, and the Eleventh Doctor figure in one piece.

Holy cra-noly, thank you @Waterbrick Down and @Duvors, those are all so flippin' awesome. I'm tempted to go with the suave looking Quorm, but I think I'll go with Duvors' build - that is a rad looking character. If they kick the bucket eventually I'm going back to that Quorm, though! I think I'm going to warp it to a Helioi Celestial, however. Gotta think of which race they were born to, and then I'll post up something!!

47 minutes ago, Duvors said:

@Zepher

The character I came up with, an Elemental Celestial of mystical inclination. I'd've used one of those new wands for the walking stick if I had any, but sadly I don't. :sad:

That is an awesome build! You even went to the trouble of prepping it for usage right off the bat. What sort of lighting setup do you use?

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Hiya! So my char has a "utility belt" equipped which give +1 engineering. Should I reflect that in my char stats or is that for the MM to notice when they do their rolls? Thanks!

The Mission Master should factor it into the rolls. That way you don't have to keep adjusting your stats depending on which tool you have equipped at a given time. That being said, if it's easier for certain Mission Masters to just change the stats when they list them on a mission so that they don't forget, they're certainly allowed to do that.

58 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

That is an awesome build! You even went to the trouble of prepping it for usage right off the bat. What sort of lighting setup do you use?

The Mission Master should factor it into the rolls. That way you don't have to keep adjusting your stats depending on which tool you have equipped at a given time. That being said, if it's easier for certain Mission Masters to just change the stats when they list them on a mission so that they don't forget, they're certainly allowed to do that.

I would add a +1 next to the proficiency with brackets explaining where the benefit's coming from, but that's just me.

Character up! Still doing some shopping, though, for my initial stuff. Question: if we do not want to carry a weapon, could we trade that out for something else... :innocent: Or should I take it and then sell it?

Another question, very very sorry: under equipment it reads: "Equipment falls into 3 categories: weapons, armor, and tools. Only one type of equipment may be equipped at a time by a character." Is that meant to read "one of EACH type"? Because only one type would mean I can only equip weapons if I have a weapon on... but I could equip as much weapons as I want. I assume it's meant to mean one of each.

7 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Character up! Still doing some shopping, though, for my initial stuff. Question: if we do not want to carry a weapon, could we trade that out for something else... :innocent: Or should I take it and then sell it?

You can take it and sell it. Keep in mind though, you don't need a weapon proficiency to wield one. You just don't roll any dice when you attack with it, so the result is just the weapon bonus. That being said, it's always handy to have one in case you run out of spirit.

3 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

You can take it and sell it. Keep in mind though, you don't need a weapon proficiency to wield one. You just don't roll any dice when you attack with it, so the result is just the weapon bonus. That being said, it's always handy to have one in case you run out of spirit.

Yeah, I understand the risk of not having one, and see proficiency isn't required. I guess it'd be a REAL pickle if I was the last person standing, but I really like the rally/defend options, and feel like it'll be more profitable for a character not proficient in combat to assist those who will hit hard - they're cool mechanics, and I want to play with them, and not having a weapon will certainly encourage that. Maybe I'll be proven totally wrong, but I just feel between three spells, rally, and defend, it'd have to be dire straights to whip out a weapon.

22 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Zaria casts Interposing Ward - +5 Armor

Stowaway Abam vs Zaria - (2, 5, 4, 6, 6, 6, +1) 6 Successes vs (4, 1, +5) 6 Successes = 0 Damage

Well, that's kind of terrifying. *huh*

1 minute ago, Zepher said:

Yeah, I understand the risk of not having one, and see proficiency isn't required. I guess it'd be a REAL pickle if I was the last person standing, but I really like the rally/defend options, and feel like it'll be more profitable for a character not proficient in combat to assist those who will hit hard. Maybe I'll be proven totally wrong, but I just feel between three spells, rally, and defend, it'd have to be dire straights to whip out a weapon.

Sure thing. I'm in the same boat with my character. The weapon is essentially a last resort/role-play item for her.

Just now, Kintobor said:

Well, that's kind of terrifying. *huh*

Yeah I'm super glad you decided to cast the shield spell. Otherwise I was like "Witness the power of Rally!" :head_back:

1 minute ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Sure thing. I'm in the same boat with my character. The weapon is essentially a last resort/role-play item for her.

Yeah I'm super glad you decided to cast the shield spell. Otherwise I was like "Witness the power of Rally!" :head_back:

There's a type of playstyle in LARP called backpacking, which has a spellcaster behind a martial character, usualy within arms reach. The spellcaster sticks to that martial character's back, like a backpack, and buffs them when need be. I think it could work here, especially with how Rally and Defend work. :classic:

Yeah, I know enough about this system that the knife attack is kind of gross. :laugh: Thankfully Zaria's now in striking range and at full health, so this should get good. :sweet:

5 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

There's a type of playstyle in LARP called backpacking, which has a spellcaster behind a martial character, usualy within arms reach. The spellcaster sticks to that martial character's back, like a backpack, and buffs them when need be. I think it could work here, especially with how Rally and Defend work. :classic:

Yeah, I know enough about this system that the knife attack is kind of gross. :laugh: Thankfully Zaria's now in striking range and at full health, so this should get good. :sweet:

It really becomes a game of adaptive strategies. If the enemies use the Rally/Defend options the heroes have to use them in turn to either overcome buffed defenses or absorb a buffed attack. If the enemies just rely on normal attacks the heroes can as well.

It's also interesting to see how using the same point build total for fewer enemies can affect balance.

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

Holy cra-noly, thank you @Waterbrick Down and @Duvors, those are all so flippin' awesome. I'm tempted to go with the suave looking Quorm, but I think I'll go with Duvors' build - that is a rad looking character. If they kick the bucket eventually I'm going back to that Quorm, though! I think I'm going to warp it to a Helioi Celestial, however. Gotta think of which race they were born to, and then I'll post up something!!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

100% natural light, in an open-topped lightbox on a sheet of (what I think is) flexible waterproof cardboard, on an overcast day to get that diffuse light. No tripod either, and I had to lie flat on a slightly damp wooden deck to get this shot. I couldn't really do it any other way, as the expensive photography lights I have cast light that comes out as this horrible dim orange in the camera I use.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

Another question, very very sorry: under equipment it reads: "Equipment falls into 3 categories: weapons, armor, and tools. Only one type of equipment may be equipped at a time by a character." Is that meant to read "one of EACH type"? Because only one type would mean I can only equip weapons if I have a weapon on... but I could equip as much weapons as I want. I assume it's meant to mean one of each.

It's definitely meant to be one of each. I think I changed the google document we were using to say that during development, but if I did it didn't make it into the final draft.

Super happy to see CMP and Zepher back! Excited to quest with you lot again soon.

Just now, The Legonater said:

Soren fires an elemental bolt of cold energy at Abam, hoping to freeze him in place as he rolls to C3.

So, currently this is basically just flavour text as I think about Soren's powers and I'm not expecting it to have such a practical result (because that would be an extremely strong spell), but it does make me wonder how versatile the elemental evocation spell is? Like in practice it sounds essentially just like a magic blast, which I'm cool with, I'm just wondering what the applicability of such a power would be or if that's up to the MM's discretion. Further, would I later be able to take, say, Mystic Binding and play it off as as an ice-based move, freezing a target? That probably makes more sense for this specific sort of circumstance. 

Apologies for the scattered thoughts, it's entirely possible I'm getting too into Pathfinder and it's limitless customization, I just figured I'd bring it up. :laugh:

15 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Super happy to see CMP and Zepher back! Excited to quest with you lot again soon.

So, currently this is basically just flavour text as I think about Soren's powers and I'm not expecting it to have such a practical result (because that would be an extremely strong spell), but it does make me wonder how versatile the elemental evocation spell is? Like in practice it sounds essentially just like a magic blast, which I'm cool with, I'm just wondering what the applicability of such a power would be or if that's up to the MM's discretion. Further, would I later be able to take, say, Mystic Binding and play it off as as an ice-based move, freezing a target? That probably makes more sense for this specific sort of circumstance. 

Apologies for the scattered thoughts, it's entirely possible I'm getting too into Pathfinder and it's limitless customization, I just figured I'd bring it up. :laugh:

Well, I personally envision Zaria's Warding Bond to be her deflecting powerful attacks with her sword, including bullets and projectiles. I personally have no issue with players flavouring their spell descriptions, but I can't speak for the folks who were a bit more involved in the rules.

Edited by Kintobor

46 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

The intention for all spells is to allow players to describe them however they wish, so yes mystic binding could be described as ice freezing an opponent. Versatility of the spells is up to the Mission Master, but the general principal is to allow for creativity with the spells and the proficiencies as long as the mechanics are not already covered by an already existing item/spell.

For example you probably can’t use elemental evocation to create enough fire to reveal things by, that’s what the Photonics manipulation spell is for.

4 hours ago, Zepher said:

Yeah, I understand the risk of not having one, and see proficiency isn't required. I guess it'd be a REAL pickle if I was the last person standing, but I really like the rally/defend options, and feel like it'll be more profitable for a character not proficient in combat to assist those who will hit hard - they're cool mechanics, and I want to play with them, and not having a weapon will certainly encourage that. Maybe I'll be proven totally wrong, but I just feel between three spells, rally, and defend, it'd have to be dire straights to whip out a weapon.

:thumbup: Rally was my intention once I summon something. But I'll definitely be hanging onto the weapon.