Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

17 hours ago, Scarilian said:

The poll is just generally a mess. Could have been solved by a single vote per person with the options being:

• Classic Castle

That means the oldest stuff with yellow castle and brickbuilt horses, so I assume you mean castle the category that is in the vote now :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

That means the oldest stuff with yellow castle and brickbuilt horses, so I assume you mean castle the category that is in the vote now :shrug_oh_well:

Even now after all the explaining, they're still not understanding it... 

23 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And needless to say, it's still utterly disingenuous to act as though the Blacksmith Shop is as far removed from the Castle and Pirates themes as Star Wars is from Classic Space or Mixels is from Bionicle, as you did here — particularly if you're going to pivot to basing that argument on what theme names the sets are labeled with, since that would suggest that Barracuda Bay is just as irreconcilably unlike the Pirates theme as any of those other comparisons you made.

Hear hear. Well said.

3 minutes ago, ifyoubuildit said:

When does the vote close and is it looking like castle combined will win?

Iirc, the 10th, so tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ifyoubuildit said:

When does the vote close and is it looking like castle combined will win?

Its between castle and space in my guess. Although the way the entirety of castle was lumped in despite not winning is unfair, I don't think it should matter because all of the space votes will stream into the Classic Space sub-theme. It will probably be quite close, and I anticipate the space vote will grow due to a lot of sci-fi theme voters whose non-space theme didn't get through will vote space, though the same could happen with castle.

I don't think it will matter though. My opinion is that at the end of this there will either be a new Galaxy Explorer or Yellow Castle, following on from the POBB set.

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Honestly, would stick to Classic Castle - an adaption of one of the earlier sets. The subthemes are too varied for a singular 90th set to appeal to them, even Lego has acknowledged this by stating about how some are fantasy themed and some are more realistic. It should be clear to fans what they are voting for so if/when a theme is selected they would have a rough expectation of what the 90th anniversary set would be, which would make it more likely they would buy the finished product. I'm unsure how subthemes would be tackled, potentially as an entirely seperate aspect to determine people's favourite of a certain overall theme.  :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Scarilian
Removed aspect - will deal with it through staff.

Has the poll closed yet? If so, when will we most likely learn about which theme has been chosen (even if we'll never know the actual results of the poll)?

Edited by Lego David

42 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Has the poll closed yet? If so, when will we most likely learn about which theme has been chosen (even if we'll never know the actual results of the poll)?

Poll closes February 10th at 11AM CEST 2021. So 15 minutes? (Unless I'm derping) :tongue:

Edit: In theory the poll should be closed now... unsure why it is not. Might take a while for Lego to update to show the poll has closed.

In terms of when we will know the theme, I'd guess Lego will spend a week or so verifying the results are legitimate before revealing it. We'll probably get an announcement that the poll has closed, thanking everyone for votes and potentially saying when they will reveal the winner.

Though Lego could potentially keep the results hidden until 2022 for a 'surprise' and to prevent other companies from trying to leech off Lego's 90th anniversary set. I think in general if we don't hear the winner by the end of the month, chances are it would be kept hidden until 2022.

Edited by Scarilian

I wouldn't be TOO surprised if they say "Fine, we're doing two, one Bionicle and one System", but... Well, we'll see. Who knows what their plans are.

As I said upthread I voted castle, and I don't regret that. If I were being solely selfish I might have voted pirates in the final round, but somehow... Castle just felt more right. Whatever theme wins, I'm sure we'll get a very good representation of it; as they showed with Benny's spaceship and Barracuda Bay, they can do modern, high-quality builds that capture the essence of old build styles and old design idioms.

Well, may the best theme win. (Okay that's not possible anymore, as Aquazone was eliminated in the first round, but may the second-best theme win.)

8 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Honestly, would stick to Classic Castle - an adaption of one of the earlier sets. The subthemes are too varied for a singular 90th set to appeal to them, even Lego has acknowledged this by stating about how some are fantasy themed and some are more realistic. It should be clear to fans what they are voting for so if/when a theme is selected they would have a rough expectation of what the 90th anniversary set would be, which would make it more likely they would buy the finished product. I'm unsure how subthemes would be tackled, potentially as an entirely seperate aspect to determine people's favourite of a certain overall theme.  :shrug_oh_well:

They didn't put Classic Castle though, they put Castle.

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

They also spelled Knight as 'Night' :tongue: Every theme they listed as part of the 90th Anniversary poll was to decide which 'Classic' theme to revive... so would'nt they all be Classic now? But that's semantics at this point :laugh:

41 minutes ago, Flak Maniak said:

Well, may the best theme win. (Okay that's not possible anymore, as Aquazone was eliminated in the first round, but may the second-best theme win.)

Indeeds. Hopefully Lego adapts all the popular themes over the next few years and uses the information from the shorter running themes to potentially trial bringing them back also. :purrr:

Edited by Scarilian

3 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

They also spelled Knight as 'Night' :tongue: Every theme they listed as part of the 90th Anniversary poll was to decide which 'Classic' theme to revive... so would'nt they all be Classic now? But that's semantics at this point :laugh:

LEGO made it clear that there is a difference between Classic Castle and Castle. So Forestmen, Black Falcons, Wolfpack, etc are not Classic Castle. Classic Castle = Yellow Castle.

44 minutes ago, MAB said:

They did put 'Classic Castle' in the original poll, it ranked 6th place Classic Castle -12603

27 minutes ago, MAB said:

LEGO made it clear that there is a difference between Classic Castle and Castle. So Forestmen, Black Falcons, Wolfpack, etc are not Classic Castle. Classic Castle = Yellow Castle.

In my hypothetical poll, which is the context for the conversation you are responding to, to make it easier for people to understand I decided to remove the subthemes completely and keep it as solely Classic Castle (Yes the same batch that had the Yellow Castle). I also did the same for Space. The goal was that the hypothetical scenario would have made it clearer what people would get if they voted for the theme.

This helps give voters a better understanding of what they are voting for than voting 'Castle' in the official poll and getting anything ranging from Classic Castle to the variety of subthemes that are included under the 'Castle' theme thanks to Lego shoving it all together. As Lego themselves mentioned, many of the subthemes are split between fantasy and non-fantasy so it makes no sense for Lego to have bundled them all under Castle because a potential finalised set would have no chance of appeasing everyone - as opposed to if they had not included any of the subthemes in this poll and simply put 'Classic Castle' and released a set based on the Yellow Castle or similar Classic Castle sets.

Subthemes could have been adapted another method - but should not have been put here.

Edited by Scarilian

9 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

They did put 'Classic Castle' in the original poll, it ranked 6th place Classic Castle -12603

I am talking about the second poll, once combined together.

9 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

In my hypothetical poll, which is the context for the conversation you are responding to, to make it easier for people to understand I decided to remove the subthemes completely and keep it as solely Classic Castle (Yes the same batch that had the Yellow Castle). I also did the same for Space. The goal was that the hypothetical scenario would have made it clearer what people would get if they voted for the theme.

Your list removed rather than combined all the castle themes except Classic Castle.

If you think Classic Castle (or the same for Classic Space) does include Forestmen, Wolfpack, Black Falcons, etc then it is no clearer than LEGOs poll what people are voting for. If you think Classic Castle does not include them, then why leave them out?

26 minutes ago, MAB said:

I am talking about the second poll, once combined together.

Your list removed rather than combined all the castle themes except Classic Castle.

If you think Classic Castle (or the same for Classic Space) does include Forestmen, Wolfpack, Black Falcons, etc then it is no clearer than LEGOs poll what people are voting for. If you think Classic Castle does not include them, then why leave them out?

You're wasting your time trying to explain classic castle is a Subtheme of castle, same as classic space being a Subtheme of space. I already fully explained it in detail and they revert back to naming classic castle (yellow castle) being the main 'castle' theme, when everyone else is aware it's not, same as space. 

Just move on from scarillions posts, I've only just learned to. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, MAB said:

One of the flaws of the 2nd poll is that due to the subthemes being combined together you cover a large range of themes - several in wildly different styles such as fantasy vs non-fantasy. Lego acknowledges this, but seemingly fails to realise that if Castle were to win, the resulting 90th anniversary set has virtually no chance to please the entire audience of the countless themes they just combined. :look:

While Lego thinks the solution was combining the subthemes, my solution would have been to never include them to begin with. If Classic Castle was popular or won the hypothetical poll, then perhaps you'd adapt some of the subthemes after Classic Castle's popularity has been demonstrated.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, MAB said:

My version of 'Classic Castle' would be as defined by Brickset - this way if the theme won, people would know what to expect and it'd be more likely people would buy the finished product. The idea was to make it clear what you vote is what you are going to get. Classic Space would also be as defined by Brickset, it has a lot more years than 'Classic Castle' but generally the sets are all fairly similar in style so fans would know roughly what they are going to get.

I'd leave them out because the popularity of the poll would determine the viability of subthemes, which would then be adapted into sets in future waves. It's impossible to replicate all the subthemes in a single 90th anniversary set, but a potential wave of Castle focusing on the pre-2000's Fantasy/Non-fantasy subthemes or a potential wave of Space focusing on the pre-2000's variations seems a better approach.

Edited by Scarilian

"As communicated in earlier blog posts, the second round vote will be kept a secret until the launch of the set in 2022 as we want to keep it a surprise for everyone."

Are they seriously going to makes us wait for a whole bloody year until we find out the winner?! The set itself will be a suprise just tell us who's the bloody winner!

Christ just how out of touch those guys really are?They already harmed the community with the first vote now imagine a whole year of fighting and guessing about who's the winner?

Edited by LOTR34

You are both being quite rediculous in your interactions.

If you Scarilian, had mentioned earlier that your catagories encompassed those set by another fan resource, a lot of the argument that "you don't get" the actual remit of the names for themes you choose to use would have been avoided. 

Your past posts seemed to ignore any and all polite discussion, in favour of arguing with a specific set of users.

Fuppylodders, I think it is best to leave it alone now, danth had the right idea a long time ago.

This whole thing has been a farce; just like any "fan" vote for anything.

Hopefully staff won't end up having to lock the thread.

Looking at the comments section, it's looking like Classic Castle will win! :excited:

I don't like the idea to reveal the winner in 2022 though. On the bright side, we can expect something special? (Top two themes, maybe)

As far as I know my interactions with other users in this thread have been polite discussion. Even if we've had conflicting opinions but talk has been civil with them defending their point and me defending mine. I'm unsure if anyone feels otherwise, would be good to know as not trying to have arguements, just discussions on topics. If anyone feels differently please pm.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, LOTR34 said:

"As communicated in earlier blog posts, the second round vote will be kept a secret until the launch of the set in 2022 as we want to keep it a surprise for everyone."

Are they seriously going to makes us wait for a whole bloody year until we find out the winner?! The set itself will be a suprise just tell us who's the bloody winner!

Christ just how out of touch those guys really are?They already harmed the community with the first vote now imagine a whole year of fighting and guessing about who's the winner?

As unfortunate as that option is, I can see the reasoning. Lego would not want to risk revealing the 90th anniversary theme or nature of the set out of a concern it would give knock off companies a chance to create rival sets for the same time. In addition if this poll had been handled better, perhaps with less options, chances are it would not have created the conflict it has done and people would simply be hyped for the set reveal. A lot of the conflict would occur regardless sadly due to the nature of long lasting themes getting more votes and the potential for Bionicle as a long running post 2000's theme to appeal to more of the younger Lego target demographic who are active on Lego Ideas.

I'd hope Lego will address the results somehow, even if it's just a remark that hints at plans to adapt all the Top 4 sets in future.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:44 PM, JintaiZ said:

Looking at the comments section, it's looking like Classic Castle will win! :excited:

On the bright side, we can expect something special? (Top two themes, maybe)

I can understand the hype from seeing the comments section, personally like seeing all the fan art and mocs of varying themes, but given how many voters there are it'd be fairly easily to see a string of several comments about castle and that not be reflected overall. Temper expectations is all I'm saying, it could be any of the four honestly.

Would hope for all four to get some form of sets over the next few years - if Lego announced such an aspect that could tide us over as fans.

Edited by Scarilian

5 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Temper expectations is all I'm saying, it could be any of the four honestly.

Could be either Bionicle, Classic Castle, or Classic Space. I don't see pirates winning as it (would have) received the least amount of votes out of the 4 themes in the first round...

Edited by JintaiZ

Just now, JintaiZ said:

Could be either Bionicle, Classic Castle, or Classic Space. I don't see pirates winning as it (would have) received the least amount of votes out of the 4 themes in the first round...

I would agree, though I would not count Pirates out completely. Those who voted Imperials might have voted Pirates and a four way poll means votes would be split slightly more between the themes.

I guess we are in for a long wait for the reveal now though. Lego was founded 10th August (1932), so maybe that'll be the 2022 release date for the anniversary set, or at the least nearby :shrug_oh_well: It's not much but it's the most logical option in my mind, would give them just about a year and a half from now.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

Wait, so are they also gonna reveal the poll results whenever the set gets released? I thought we'll never know the results of the poll, and LEGO will choose whichever theme they want from the top four, regardless of which has the most votes.