HorcikDesigns

[TC19] HD-one: Update 4 - Afterlife modifications

(name still in progress of choice).

Well, this is my first ever severely approached motorcycle MOC. Well, I tried to build some in during the last two years, but none of them was successful. Hope this one will be different.

Nothing is final, everything can chance, pictures shown below are just R&D test mules (eg the front fork on blue framed bike is just quick mockup). 

Goals (optional, not mandatory): 
- fake wannabe trellis tube frame, main design feature 
- wild angles
- load bearing engine/transmission  block
- engine with integrated rear swingarm mount?
- as stiff design as possible - torsional, transverse, longitudal
- try to make realistic steering geometry for the type of the bike I build
- realistic proportions in area of saddle (ducati was too wide for my taste)
- 2 cylinder ICE or EV drive (maybe hybrid or easily interchangeable*?)
- belt or chain drive?  (chain tensioner?)
- No structural or modal FEM analysis needed! Yay!*
- and one hardcore: COG in approximate correct position. 

* just to clarify it, my final project and thesis concerned motorcycle frame design that would use maximum common parts for both drivetrains variants; not real success, I would not recommend it to anybody to design or build  similar frame, but I learned something about bike design, and  would like to try to build bike like this at least from bricks. :D Wish me luck (or not in case you do not like E-bikes)

800x580.jpg
800x636.jpg
800x641.jpg

Edited by HorcikDesigns

looks good and sweet!

Well done withe the fake- tubular frame.

Looking forwards to progress.

S.

This looks amazing already! Interesting to see how people define the goals to a MOC - I usualy just start and see where it takes me + I don't know nearly enough about motorcycles to even come close to making a list like that :blush: Looking forward to your progress. I hope you keep that tubular chasiss design.

Sorry sentimental. I owned a yamaha trx850. Which of you google is a tube framed parallel v twin. (270 degree firing order.  Great bike. You could be close to building a replica.  Kind regards matt 

1 hour ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Sorry sentimental. I owned a yamaha trx850. Which of you google is a tube framed parallel v twin. (270 degree firing order.  Great bike. You could be close to building a replica.  Kind regards matt 

Well, my frame is freely inspired by the one from XT660, but xtr850 is closer to that I would like my MOC to be. 

This is definitely my favourite bike in this competition. The space frame is brilliant. And keeping all the functions into that tiny footprint is quite a feat.

This looks fantastic. Especially loving the geometry of the frame, and that it's possibly going to be a hybrid or e-bike. :thumbup:

@MinusAndy  Thanks, but to be honest, I will be very glad if I only manage to fit fake engine  and stiff liftarm there, in that 5 or 6 studs wide frame. Not really sure which word to use to describe level of satisfaction or joy if I manage to fit there a working transmission or any other function

@Dazzzy thank you, however the e-bike is probably just a B-plan for the case if I fail to make working fake engine and transmission, or manage them to finish too early. ;) 

7 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Looks sweet :thumbup:

So you go for a ducati like gearbox?

S.

Thanks! Not sure what do you mean - like LEGO Ducati or real one? I honestly do not know whether to go for a shiftable gearbox at all. 

The lego one...

From my point of view, when working that hard on the design, a shifftable gearbox is not mandatory...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJp3gCEpgqr/?igshid=11m1616l2reiv

On 1/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, steph77 said:

The lego one...

From my point of view, when working that hard on the design, a shifftable gearbox is not mandatory...

The lego one is too wide... I think in a similar way, but there is still lot of time, and You have shown in your MOC , that it is possible to fit it in really good looking bike, so I have to try at least. ?

Edited by HorcikDesigns

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:……………...Shift :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:…………..Shift...………………………………………:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:excited:

I love those little train light parts.

You have to do a gearbox, even a simple one. The details of this motorcycle are sooo good that a gearbox would take it to the next level. 

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I love those little train light parts.

You have to do a gearbox, even a simple one. The details of this motorcycle are sooo good that a gearbox would take it to the next level. 

Thanks! It has a gearbox now, but it is not working properly. Well, I'll try to improve it. 

Well, had some time to work on new engine block with more reliable transmission. again, two speed, but also 5-6 wide (mostly, there where it is needed, and 7 wide total (without unnecessary greebles)

MOC goals review:
- fake wannabe trellis tube frame, main design feature 
- wild angles
- load bearing engine/transmission  block     ..... easily Interchangible engine block for E-drive assembly
- engine with integrated rear swingarm mount?    Nah, swingarm mount is part of frame (the hidden real one)
- as stiff design as possible - torsional, transverse, longitudal  - Well, there will always be some weak points (front fork rotation axis, swingarm), but the frame feels solid.
- try to make realistic steering geometry for the type of the bike I build - need to check
- realistic proportions in area of saddle (ducati was too wide for my taste) - need to check and probably rebuild the whole seat and tank section ( :o )
- 2 cylinder ICE or EV drive (maybe hybrid or easily interchangeable*?)  ... (see point 3)
- No structural or modal FEM analysis needed! Yay!* .... Well, definitely not necessary
- and one hardcore: COG in approximate correct position.  ... measured on finished bike as passed/not passed

This is the old engine block, that used very original swinging shifter, but it was way too unreliable.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJt67EnpNGr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg

This is the new one, still a WIP, completly without intake and air filter and cooler (, that is based on gearbox from @2GodBDGlory 's Suzuki Nuda and @Gray Gear's idea of reinforcing it's frame. Thank you both for sharing your superb ideas! 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJt8tSAJhOe/

800x600.jpg

And finally, here is a preview of how the bike could and most probably will look like. Need to review the position of the tank and saddle, add more details, etc.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJt9Sk9JbEU/

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg
800x600.jpg

PS: Sorry for the 3D printed front brake discs, but they are carefully shaped after the original ones from 42107, so plese consider them just painted. ;)

Just now, Thirdwigg said:

OOO, I love it!

Though I would like slick tires better. Do you have some to try?

Thanks! I have one set from 42107, but I would have to redesign the swingarm, because the rear tire is too wide. However, it is not unreal to maintain the width (+- one stud) and make the slick version. However, personally, I like the harsh look of these dirt bike tires on it. ;)