5 hours ago, KevinMD said:

Isn’t it just the piece from the Ducati?

I don't think it is. 

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

yes, it is. its from the ducati. funny though....because its from TLG its considered a "legal" piece when really any cut piece of plastic should work

Are you sure?  I literally have the piece from the Ducati set in front of me right now, and it definitely looks different to me. 

I can't see any sign of the 4 slots or the red print of the official piece. It appears to be a different shape too. 

Personally it's not a huge deal to me, if he's used his own custom part, would just like some clarification as i'd love to make my own custom windscreen/visor piece too, (though will probably do something much larger if permitted it's okay in the rules).

Edited by Dazzzy

2 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

I don't think it is. 

Are you sure?  I literally have the piece from the Ducati set in front of me right now, and it definitely looks different to me. 

I can't see any sign of the 4 slots or the red print of the official piece. It appears to be a different shape too. 

Personally it's not a huge deal to me, if he's used his own custom part, would just like some clarification as i'd love to make my own custom windscreen/visor piece too, (though will probably do something much larger if permitted it's okay in the rules).

You are right. µI didn't thought about this issue as i was concentrate on the model and mechanics aspect.

Whatever, let's @Jim and @Milan decide what to do. Rules are the rules. If decided, i will just replace the transparent windshilt that i cut out a single recup plastic shield by the official one that has the global same shape.

I'll post the question in the repective contest general topic.

Edited by steph77

22 minutes ago, steph77 said:

You are right. µI didn't thought about this issue as i was concentrate on the model and mechanics aspect.

Whatever, let's @Jim and @Milan decide what to do. Rules are the rules. If decided, i will just replace the transparent windshilt that i cut out a single recup plastic shield by the official one that has the global same shape.

I'll post the question in the repective contest general topic.

Thanks for the clarification steph. :thumbup:  I'd just initially assumed you were using the official LEGO Ducati piece, until closer inspection of your latest pics. 

I'm really hoping it falls under the 3rd party hose and rubber bands rule, as i really want to do a custom one myself for my entry.  Thanks for seeking clarification. :thumbup:

Ok, @Jim decide.

I'll have to find a way to fix the issue and find an acceptable designed solution to the windshild.

Lego's one is jus weird, but let's wait a bit to think out to a solution.

I'll post the results as soon as i'll be near my parts again.

S.

Can you not still use the official part, but somehow hide the red print?  It would be cool if you can.  

9 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

I don't think it is. 

Good call.  It appears as though you are right.  

On 1/11/2021 at 1:49 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Good call.  It appears as though you are right.  

It was only on closer inspection that i noticed it tbh.  I'm a bit gutted though, as i started to build my own hopes up of being able to do a custom screen myself. 

I spend my (very) few free hours to search for a replacement part for this windshield. Job as begin again and we are in a weird period. It's difficult to find the neccecary time actually.

And i didn't find out an acceptable solution. So i'll keep it simple and photograph the model just without anything, witch gives an acceptable rendering.

However, i find the time to rebuilt some official lego motorbike to complete the presentation with comparisions with official sets.

I also tried to find a new ducati set, but unfortunately, it seems that in europe a major part of retailers are not delivered anymore and this will go on until end of february. Shelves are litteraly ...empty. 

So for comparision with the Ducati i'll had to tune a bit the model, as it has been canibalized to build the entry model.

S.

Edited by steph77

KATANA SUPERSPORT - final review

Main picture

ZhNdcA.jpg

So, here is the final entry for this contest. 

I'll place her all pictures and info, so finding them out is easyier.

The goal for me was to build a new model in the continuous process of building bikes. I tryed to go one step further in the design process and if this step was smaller than expected i am quiet happy of the final design

The model features the overal functionalities you may attempt of it in 2021:

- Suspensions,

- Direction

- Working fake engine

- Sequential 4 speeds gearbox

- breaks

- kickstand,

DESIGN

I based my design on current supersport bike like the kawazaki zx-10r, yamaha r1m, etc...but without the goal to replicate any of them particulay.

The green colour was choosen as i got the old lime panels that still look great today, and in another hand, to complete and diversify my bike collection with a popup colour.

The main frame's orientation as been choosen strongly tilting to the front so the panel placement gives an agressive and sporty design. It also means that the main chassis has been achieved with crazy angles allother the place. I realized that in an as clean built as possible.

The combo of lime green and white works pretty well, and the original lego stickers complete it in a funny good way.

The all build is based on a chassis and bodywork elements that come around it, also for the saddle and both front and rear end.

Pictures of the overal thing:(front windshild has been replaced by a place holder simple flex tube)

b43FQd.jpg

QDtrIc.jpg

5Bp36G.jpg

brZZpD.jpg

Functions

The model feature classic suspension to the front, based on the older shock absorber as i find the brand new one too flimsy.The rear suspension setup is based on a multilink setup. This was choose because thanks to this setup, the shock absorber can be placed right behind the rear wheel in a lower place in the chassis.

This setup offer then more space on the upper side and alows to keep the saddle lower too.

Te gearbox is an evolution of my previous BMW attempt. The whole frame structure is based on technic frame. It results in a sturdier build and less stress on the moving parts.

I also get the whole built shorter in lenght by about 3studs. It doesn't seems so important but in affect positively the design. The price to pay was to compact still more all functional linup and cross many time the propulsion line with the shiffter's one. The frame built chassis is a response to this design and functionality datas.

q9TWnV.png

The gear box has 4 speeds correctly ordonered and  with a linear staging. Notice that the pistons camshaft is build so the pistons have a logical position and ignition order..

The shifter

It's a fiabilized version of @legotechnicmastery's design. The shifter's command is placed as in real life at the left foot

The support does not interfere with the shiffter's pedal.

q0jmnm.jpg

Breaks : 8NX5uJ.jpgaDnJFn.jpg

The frame

eyoTO5.jpg

I try to propose something that is as close as possible to realife frame. The engine itself is part of the structural setup.

VETafR.jpg

I pay attention to some particular things, resulting from my previous design and experiences. Here is what has finaly been improved:

- right lenght of the bike

- Place the driving chain at the correct side of the bike

- Keep a realistic place for the exhaust line, and finaly correct exhaust design

- Eliminate any friction in both driving and shiffting lines

- more agressive and finalized design

- put a proper kickstand that holds the bike in any circonstance

- Have correct positioning for the combo handlebar/saddle/footrest

- get a real inclinasion possibility (as it is a sportbike) even with the front suspension compressed (had an incidence on the front fork tilting angle)

Comparision with official / other models

I didn't build this bike alone. I constantly had other models next to it, and i used them as reference of size, saddle height, etc... here they are:

first, next to the official BMW R1200

R50kWY.jpg

dIhAje.jpg

This BMW is the best combo to my KATANA i find

27NHH1.jpg

next to the ducati:( a little canabilized :classic: )

b80bou.jpg

lwFmPH.jpg

with the official 42007:

IbwvWR.jpg

And finaly next to my first 4speed bike to date (cool combo too), the KTM.

e3sY0p.jpg

Bonus

a6QgCC.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy it! :classic:

Edited by steph77
typo and precisions

Great job. The final windshield looks great as well. I'm happy you were able to find a good solution after removing the clear plastic. The bodywork really is fantastic. 

It looks like you kept the gears on the left of the transmission, rather than the chain link. Did you run out of chain links? Also, is the motorcycle able to shift from gear 4 to 1 and 1 to 4, or is it limited so that it only goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and back down?

I love the detail of the split crankshaft in the engine to keep the ignition order correct. I missed this detail earlier in the build, and it's a great addition. 

2 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Great job. The final windshield looks great as well. I'm happy you were able to find a good solution after removing the clear plastic. The bodywork really is fantastic. 

It looks like you kept the gears on the left of the transmission, rather than the chain link. Did you run out of chain links? Also, is the motorcycle able to shift from gear 4 to 1 and 1 to 4, or is it limited so that it only goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and back down?

I love the detail of the split crankshaft in the engine to keep the ignition order correct. I missed this detail earlier in the build, and it's a great addition. 

Thanks!

I just forget to change that gear combo! oups. (Thanks to sariel's aplication i can find that this gear combo gives the more linear stages to the gearbox).

I should have change it, but your right....i am not sure i get enough chain links to acheive it :classic:

I'll see if i can change it before the competition ends.

The shifter has no limiter, but i placed an indicator of the engaged speed

Thanks for comment and support!

S.

Well, this is one well engineered entry. I really like the realistic approach, with all essential things for motorcycle design that were kept in mind. There are only few entries in this contest that follow these or similar set of design rules, and this is one of those that have managed to fill them all. It is clearly visible that you're skilled and motorcycle MOC builder.
I like the comparison pictures with other bikes.

13 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Well, this is one well engineered entry. I really like the realistic approach, with all essential things for motorcycle design that were kept in mind. There are only few entries in this contest that follow these or similar set of design rules, and this is one of those that have managed to fill them all. It is clearly visible that you're skilled and motorcycle MOC builder.
I like the comparison pictures with other bikes.

9 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Wow, really amazing combination of technicality and looks. Awesome workaround on the wind shield! 

Thanks!

Coming from both great builders (with terrific entries BTW) it is really an honor!

The front end gives me some headeach i must say, Probably the harder part for me. I am often cool with mechanical parts but design and bodywork are harder for me.

The comparision picture are usefull to visualize correctly the model i founded.

Thanks again.

S.

This turned out great (as could almost be expected from someone with your experience). That drive train is so intricate yet elegant, and very compact. It really shows the thought and dedication that went into this design. And the brake function is a nice add-on too. I think you've almost reached the summit of Technic bike building, at least with the currents parts assortment.

As for the looks: I'm personally not entirely convinced by the bodywork, but that is just a matter of personal taste. Maybe a different color would do the tricky for me. But the bike looks realistic enough to be a scale model of a real-life model, and again, the amount of thought that went into the design shows off.

A podium candidate I think! Good luck in contest!

@Rudivdk thanks you for kind words! I understand your point on the colorsheme. It 's also a matter of avalaible parts in my inventory...Good luck with your own entry too.

15 hours ago, that_lego_builder said:

did you use pieces from 42065?

16 hours ago, that_lego_builder said:

nice moc!

Thanks!. Yes i guess some parts came from this set, but not only. I buy a lot of parts directly from the store so i canot tell you out of wich set my model is out finaly.

13 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Congratulations!! I knew it was going to win!

:wink:

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Your construction skills have evolved so much that they have allowed you to create more and more beautiful models! :excited:

Thanks! i was surprised myself when searching old picture on the very first post.

Skills evolved but passion is still the same.

This is the final point in this hobby, no?

S.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:55 AM, steph77 said:

Thanks! i was surprised myself when searching old picture on the very first post.

Skills evolved but passion is still the same.

This is the final point in this hobby, no?

Nice question, I've the same feeling for my trains ...and the answer is: there isn't a final point just a next level! :thumbup: