LordDan

A Home Away From Home

Deep in the midst of Nocturnus ,on the border of the towering Rakath Mountains and the deep swamps lies an quite unexpected sight, a cozy hospitable Avalonian house! It turns out this is where Dan has been living in solitude these last few years...

50704397992_da34195fe7_c.jpg

50704307011_90446af15d_c.jpg

Notes: Hey guys! This is my first build in quite a long time (like 3, almost 4 years). Its good to be building again and I'm glad GoH is still going on. Comments and criticism of the build are appreciated :classic:

Edited by LordDan
Fixing typos

Nice build! I'd suggest replacing the studs though considering the effort you put into making it almost stud-free.

Looks absolutely epic. I love the acid! :D My only suggestion is that I think you should change the roof to dark blue for more contrast. Otherwise, I love it!

Great MOC @LordDan!

I love the swamp, especially the alligator.  The nice, peaceful house right on the bright algae swamp is quite the juxtaposition and gives depth to the MOC.  I like the brick (plate)-built door and the stonework is a good balance of not too complicated or smooth.  The shutters on the windows are a nice touch.

My biggest criticism is the roof, it seems a bit too small.  I'd have it overhang all sides a bit more.  I'd say its colors are fine (but dark blue/bley would give more contrast, as @caiman0637 suggested, I'm not sure if that would be better or not).  The only other criticism I have is the rock ground between the house and the swamp is too flat and too bley.  I'd say more vegetation/moss or more texture would help.

What technique did you use to get the shield flush with the building?

A triumphant return to the Guilds!  This is a great MOC, especially the vegetation and SNOT-work on display.  I think my only critique is that you've got kind of a lot of empty grey space in front of the house, and even breaking that up with some green  "moss" incorporated into those sections would enhance this build.

Otherwise, great work, and keep it coming!  

Really nice, I like the choice for the swamp which makes the rest pop! And good to see you building!:thumbup:

Welcome back!  Great build to come back on too!  I like the juxtaposition between the Avalonian and Nocturian settings.  It helps draw attention to the differences.  The landscaping, with the twisting black tree trunks, mushrooms, and lime green swamp water is great.  I like the Tudor-inspired Avalonian architecture, with stone base and overhanding plaster and timber above.  The recessed plastered areas look good, and you did a nice job incorporating the window, especially with working shutters!  I like the color choices and texture, too, since anything would likely not be pristine in the swamp for long.  I think @The Stad has some good suggestions about moss or other vegetation on the grey rocks since swamps tend to be overgrown.  I would like to see a little overhang on the eaves of the roof to keep the water off the sides of the house.  You have some really nice window frames and brick built doors.  I especially like how you put the SNOT cheese slopes on the supporting timbers holding up the second floor, and the one plate high tile steps into the house.  At first I wondered where the chimney was, then realized it was in a swamp so there was likely no need for a large heating system and any cooking fires that were needed could probably be vented out the window or a small stove hood if necessary.  Looking forward to seeing more of your builds!

Great to have you back in the guilds! This lovely hut explains where you have been. Not sure I'd choose to live right next to a Nocturnian swamp, but to each his own, I guess! I'll echo what a few others have said: the roof could use some more overhang, and the smooth rock by the swamp could use some more growth on it of some kind to break up the smoothness. You could also experiment with angling sections of rockwork on Mixel hinges, to break up the monotony and create more interesting terrain. I do love the swamp, though, and the alligator head is a nice touch; another reason I would not wish to live there, but still, a nice touch. I look forward to seeing Dan moving back to Avalonia soon!

Great build, I really like the bright swamp color!  I also think the smooth rockwork looks great.

Must have been some trouble to get these cozy Avalonian building materials into the swamp! :wink: 

Very nice!

The rocks give the impression that rain has just gone away and that the zone is slippery.

Edited by Zarcania
Typo

Nice MOC LordDan!  Good to see you back in the Guilds!

Like some of the others have said, the roof could have used a stud or two more area in all directions for my eye.  The color choice there doesn't bug me too much though. :wink:

I really dig that technique for getting the alligator head to look like it's just peeking up out of the swamp!