Paperinik77pk

[MOC] 4,5v Diesel locomotive with auto-unloading tipper wagons

Hi all!

In these days I'm working a lot with old Lego parts, since I've completed three sets I've always loved: the BASIC sets 722,733 and 744 (this last one includes the 4,5v yellow motor). The 722 number is used also for a small , rare train of the blue era (a little locomotive with two tipper wagons).

So I prepared something to mix the two worlds together. I chose the 4,5v system because it was the main way to power all Basic Sets back in the days, and I loved it (and still do!).

This is a little train composed by a small locomotive (built in 744 style) and some tipper wagons, all similar to the 722 train set. These tippers are, however, a bit more "operational" like all 722/733/744 sets (which featured cranes, trucks, helicopters...). They can be tipped  using a specific mechanism based on a curved rail.

Here's the locomotive (it's nothing special - but fits nicely the atmosphere). It is a diesel locomotive, similar to Decauville ones. :sweet:

Small 4,5v Locomotive + Auto-Unloading Tipper Wagons

It is operated by an external classic 4,5v battery box. I could not use a 4,5v battery wagon since the small side lever for reversing operation would not allow the train passage inside the unloading station.

Here's the tipping mechanism. each wagon has a side bar which can slide over the curved rail, allowing the tipper to tilt and unload into the station.

The curved rail is mounted on a small turntable, which allows it to be lifted up. This movement is needed when tipper wagon are passing in reverse. In this case the bar on the wagon lifts up the curved rail, sliding under it. So, if the unloading is not complete, the train can reverse and repeat the unloading operation.

Here below, I wanted to have some fun creating two pictures showing "how it works", in the 7777 style.

Here's the "FORWARD" action...

...and the REVERSE one.

And here's a final picture of the whole set:

I wanted to add a background to my photo sets - but this time, instead of a photo-edit, I wanted to try it in bricks. What do you think about it? It's very childish but, after all, this is really a toy train.:grin_wub:

I Hope you like it!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
some typos

Excellent system, Davide!

I love the minimalistic shape of the locomotive, that's a very good narrow gauge feel. Aloso, great use of this difficult yellow case. The system with the curved rail is perfectly ingenious!

I will keep the idea in mind for a coal mine train or a harbor service.

I love the older style with such a clever action feature!   4.5 and 12 have to been some of the most toy like that Lego trains ever were and that style is always super charming.    I've been kicking myself so much recently... I had 2... TWO! copies of the 112 train set and the 113 Train with motor WITH THE BOXES.   And I ruined the boxes and scattered most of the sets.  Ugh.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:21 PM, JintaiZ said:

Nice build!

On 11/8/2020 at 11:40 PM, Evans said:

Excellent system, Davide!

I love the minimalistic shape of the locomotive, that's a very good narrow gauge feel. Aloso, great use of this difficult yellow case. The system with the curved rail is perfectly ingenious!

I will keep the idea in mind for a coal mine train or a harbor service.

Thanks!!! it is something I tried in the past with the old tipper wagons from 70s (which I have to admit, were in way too many sets) - but I wanted to make it in a more modern way - and to make it simpler than the 7777 gear-driven tippers. :classic:

On 11/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, Lok24 said:

Very nice!

Thanks!:classic:

On 11/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, Electricsteam said:

I love the older style with such a clever action feature!   4.5 and 12 have to been some of the most toy like that Lego trains ever were and that style is always super charming.    I've been kicking myself so much recently... I had 2... TWO! copies of the 112 train set and the 113 Train with motor WITH THE BOXES.   And I ruined the boxes and scattered most of the sets.  Ugh.

OOOh I love them. 112 and 113 are two sets I like a lot! I have 2 112 (one with box and one without) plus a 113 (without box) and they are great toys!!! These locomotives are still the most effective (in terms of pulling power) among all the original Lego locomotives! :wub:

On 11/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, zephyr1934 said:

That is amazing work!

Thanks sir!!! :sweet:

On 11/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, brummer said:

Nice Train funktions !

Thank you! :laugh:

On 11/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, Berger said:

Ingenious system and functions!

Thank you very much! :laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all, a little update...

Just for completing the whole diorama I added a loading station similar to the one  of set 733, and recreated the renderings from scratch. There's a new locomotive, a crane and a vehicle, plus some more people.

Lego 4,5v small locomotives + Unloading wagons + loading station

The red locomotive is a variant of the yellow one - the lateral panels of the hood are missing, so the diesel engine is visible.

The loading station is a smaller version of the one which could be created with the Basic set 733. The crane is a bit modified using more Technic parts. Pity I cannot recreate the cables in the rendering. Inside the house there's a light brick - a gray battery box for all the lamps is integrated in the building.

The loading station is functional , in the same way as the 733 one, the crane can lift the arm and the loading bucket. The yellow locomotive is pulling a small wagon with some stuff on it.

The three wheeler is based on a real one, the Italian Bremach MB1 (previously Aermacchi Macchitre M.B.1) :wub:. It was a very common vehicle in the 80s, with a naturally aspirated two cylinder diesel engine. Its sound was very very loud and easy to recognise. Together with the Guzzi Ercole was one of the most efficient heavy duty three wheelers (bigger and more powerful than Piaggio Ape). The bed can tip , and the front wheel can be steered.

Ciao! :laugh:

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 11/14/2020 at 6:01 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

This photo is gorgeous: the background trees, the 80's style battery pack and this fantastic Apecar in the foreground ... nostalgia... :drool:

Does the wheelchair's steering really work?

18 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Does the wheelchair's steering really work?

steeering system2

Aaaaaaaaaaabsolutely yes!!! :laugh:

It's not the smartest way to steer the wheel, but it makes the model more appealing in terms of play :laugh:

Thanks Emanuele!!!

18 hours ago, kieran said:

All amazing, but the background is very clever

Thanks! I was waiting for a comment on the background - thanks again! :sweet:

12 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

That looks great! I like the 80s styling and the tipping mechanism is brilliant! :thumbup:

Thank you! :sweet:

Very very cool! I love how the mechanism looks pretty solid, compared to the tipper wagons in the 7777 book- they look like if they are pushed a little bit away from the track, they won't work. Love the engines, but I do think the 12v grey era motors are better, albeit significantly more expensive... Also, the wheelchair's steering does make a nice play feature! Great creation, and I love the scene you have made!