Klaus-Dieter

Chinese New Year Sets - Rumors and Discussion

Hopefully Tiger 3-in-1 set gets revealed soon, it's the only january 3-in-1 release (which makes sense for Chinese New Year, Year of the Tiger) 

Edited by TeriXeri

Maybe everyone knows by now but in case you missed it, the ice rink set is prints only! The vignettes have stickers a plenty unfortunately.

46 minutes ago, Gnukan said:

Maybe everyone knows by now but in case you missed it, the ice rink set is prints only! The vignettes have stickers a plenty unfortunately.

Well played, Ice Rink designer - as somebody who detests stickers, I applaud you!

5 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Brickset reviews now posted:

80108 Lunar New Year Traditions

80109 Lunar New Year Ice Festival

Yes, these reviews have me even more eager for these sets!

On a side note, since the new sets include tiger-patterned lanterns like the bull-patterned ones from this year, I've started trying to MOC a tiger lantern to replace the bull lantern from the Spring Lantern Festival set (in case anybody wants to update that display for the new year). It's a considerable challenge, since a tiger is a bit of a harder shape to pull off than the barrel-chested bull, but I think it could be done to some degree (though fitting the light brick in could be more of a challenge). Currently I'm taking a little bit of inspiration from the tiger build in 10257 Carousel, since that seems to be a close enough scale to fit on the pedestal properly while still being reasonably recognizable as a tiger.

I wonder when the GWP 40491: Year of the Tiger will appear, hopefully before those sets are sold out.

Chinese New Year 2022 is February 1st this year,.

Year of the Ox promo was February, but the New Year was also later in the month at the 12th.

Edited by TeriXeri

City/Friends polybag GWP promotion currently goes from 1-1 to 9-1 , so Chinese New Year likely the week after that, the sets will be available from 10-1 in North America.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, Lyichir said:

Yes, these reviews have me even more eager for these sets!

On a side note, since the new sets include tiger-patterned lanterns like the bull-patterned ones from this year, I've started trying to MOC a tiger lantern to replace the bull lantern from the Spring Lantern Festival set (in case anybody wants to update that display for the new year). It's a considerable challenge, since a tiger is a bit of a harder shape to pull off than the barrel-chested bull, but I think it could be done to some degree (though fitting the light brick in could be more of a challenge). Currently I'm taking a little bit of inspiration from the tiger build in 10257 Carousel, since that seems to be a close enough scale to fit on the pedestal properly while still being reasonably recognizable as a tiger.

Cool, let us know how it goes!

With the new year near, I look back at all the sets released so far, still think the best is Chinese New Year's Eve dinner.

Looking forward to building the Lunar New Year Traditions set tomorrow. Built the Spring Lantern Festival earlier this month when it was snowy and it felt nice and seasonal, but I've been saving the other set for the actual Lunar New Year.

EDIT: Finished building the set! A fun build despite the bases of the modules being slightly repetitive. Did anybody else who has this set get an extra of this 2x4 printed tile? The inventory only lists one but I got two in the final bag, so I'm wondering if everybody got that little bonus or if I just got amazingly lucky.

Edited by Lyichir

On 1/31/2022 at 4:35 PM, Lyichir said:

Did anybody else who has this set get an extra of this 2x4 printed tile

Yes, I also got an extra one of these.  I was wondering as well.  I usually go to bricklink inventory after building large sets because they list all the extra pieces.  I use this list to compare what I have left to make sure I didn't miss placing a piece.  This particular extra piece was not listed on bricklink as an extra piece.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:37 PM, Vindicare said:

For 80108 what is up with the gold frog? It doesn’t go anywhere but it is in the inventory. 

it's a hidden treasure.  it's in the instruction though, may be missed a step?

10 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

it's a hidden treasure.  it's in the instruction though, may be missed a step?

Ha! I sure did. After the first two bases, I just flipped past those pages because they’re all the same. Oops...

I know there is no rumored info on the next Chinese New Year sets yet. But here is my wish - I hope they would include both pandas (adult and cub) one day.  It would be a big win for animal fans, collectors, and others. 

Its possible. Next is Rabbit Year. They already have the mask from CMF S7

So they could spend the new moulds budget with a new panda piece instead of the mask for the costumed character

Edited by Robert8

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Its possible. Next is Rabbit Year. They already have the mask from CMF S7

So they could spend the new moulds budget with a new panda piece instead of the mask for the costumed character

Exactly. I had a same thought as you have. 

Are there already news about the Chinese new year sets ? It seems we are getting 2 sets again. But other than that nothing yet ?

On 10/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, Langxia said:

Are there already news about the Chinese new year sets ? It seems we are getting 2 sets again. But other than that nothing yet ?

I imagine we won’t hear much until the end of next month at the latest(hopefully). 

8 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I imagine we won’t hear much until the end of next month at the latest(hopefully). 

Agreed. I still hope Chinese New Year sets would include a panda….

This is info I found so far.

LEGO 80110 ??

€89,99 - 872 pieces

LEGO 80111 ??

€129,99 - 1653 pieces

Last 3 years the reveals always were in the first week of November. 

November 5 2019

November 6 2020

November 6 2021

Brickset has a picture of the Year of the Rabbit GWP

40575-1.jpg?202209070835

Edited by TeriXeri

The new sets are revealed at the China International Import Expo. which is November 5-10, so the next ones should be at some point during those dates.

9 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed. I still hope Chinese New Year sets would include a panda….

Looks like we’ll be getting a rabbit in next year’s sets. In that case, I’d like to see a new mold for the headpiece. 

Begins to sing Eye Of The Tiger

Anyhoo! I plan to buy some of the buildings that come in this theme. I try not to include ethnic stereotypes in my city, but eh....why not give a Chinatown for my city a try.