Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] DB 403 vs BR HST125 - a 12v duel!

Two great trains are dueling on 12v gray track:  the British Railways HST 125 vs the Deutsche Bahn BR403 "Donald Duck"!

Two big countries with high expertise on trains,two different power sources (Diesel vs Electric), same speed (above 200km/h or 125mph). Who will win this Lego contest?

Lego DB 403 and BR HST125 - 12v

None of them, since they both are built on the same Lego platform and shape - I created first the "Donald Duck" in Lufthansa colors and then I modified it a little to recall the HST125. So same power cars ,and same wagons, only with a different paint scheme :laugh:.

I've always focused on standard trains, and this is my first experiment with fast ones. After all , during "gray Era" we've seen a lot of steamers, diesels, electric trains...but only one example of fast train.

So here's a shot of the DB403, with an applied sticker on front "window" to simulate double windscreens...

...and one of the "Screaming Valenta" - here the sticker is a bit different, but you can easily tell it is only a bigger one!

Both are using parts available in the last years of "Gray Era" (so they could have been made starting from 1987). The HST could be a bit older than the 403 - since it's using the old style blue window in the cabin. I could also recreate a yellow sticker to cover the outer part of the trans-clear headlight, but I preferred to keep it as it is (just imagine the sticker detaching when the glue is old...I HATE that sensation :damn:)

Both could have working headlights, the DB403 can use a 12v light brick on top headlight. For the HST125 the problem is how to diffuse light from light brick to transparent slopes. But both trains could also leverage on 9V lights, which were already available at the time. The 9v Battery box fits easily in both bodies.

Finally the 7745 has some internal competition!!!

Hope you like these two!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Nice work on both train sets. They are iconic, yet easily recognizable as what they represent. Great work utilizing only older component options and still achieving such results.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

None of them, since they both are built on the same Lego platform and shape - I created first the "Donald Duck" in Lufthansa colors and then I modified it a little to recall the HST125. So same power cars ,and same wagons, only with a different paint scheme :laugh:.

Actually, this becomes a test of the superior aerodynamics (grin)

On 11/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

Both are using parts available in the last years of "Gray Era" (so they could have been made starting from 1987).

Excellent!

On 11/2/2020 at 3:55 PM, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thanks, very appreciated!!! :wub:

On 11/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice work on both train sets. They are iconic, yet easily recognizable as what they represent. Great work utilizing only older component options and still achieving such results.

Thanks a lot - I really hoped that the "Donald Duck" was recognizable even in this simplified form! :blush:

On 11/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Actually, this becomes a test of the superior aerodynamics (grin)

Excellent!

Yes - but it must be a be professional test!!! I'll get the hairdrier to simulate the wind and small strips of toilet paper with sticky tape to see the air flow!!! :laugh_hard:

Thanks Zephir! :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

If ever there is an extension of the 80's Lego catalogs you deserve the first place with these trains in perfect 12 volts style! :thumbup::thumbup:

Of the two models, I undoubtedly love that of the English railways even if German trains are generally my favorites. 

Beautiful renderings ...as always, beautiful renderings ! :wub_drool: