Sign in to follow this  
Robert8

Fleshies vs Yellow

TLG is releasing a set based on "A Christmas Carol" and the minifigures are fleshies.... 

But the set is not licensed because the story is public domain and it's not based on any specific version like Disney or something

Even Hans Christian Andersen was yellow a while ago in a similar despite being based on a real person. Just like Lincoln and Shakespeare (and Michelangelo) from TLM/TLM2

So, it's an unlicensed system set..... with fleshies *huh* Has this ever happened before (other than DUPLO and minidolls)? 

Are they..... testing the waters? *oh2* 

(I looked for topics similar to this one but the ones I found are +10 years old. If you know of a more recent thread this one could be merged with please share the link :classic:)

Edited by Robert8

I don't care much in either direction, but indeed it's odd that they opted to make them "realistic". But who knows? They could have the ghosts in there as minifigs in fancy colors (similar to Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter) and it might make sense then. Hard to tell just from the single package shot I've seen.

Mylenium

I don’t see them testing the waters to switch from yellow. I wouldn’t care one way or the other, I do have a fondness for the yellow minifigs. Not just because it’s what I grew up with but because, much like LEGO bricks, the minifigs can be whoever you want hem to be. 

It is strange though that the older book was yellow, even though they were more generic minifgs. Pretty sure those torsos are all new, exception maybe being Tiny Tim since we can’t see his print. Maybe that had a bigger part in it?

I really hope it's not going to be the norm from here on out.

But I can understand it in this set's case as it's originally based on a book just like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings are from Books originally.

Even moreso, this set is actually depicting the book itself as if it's a page telling the actual story on it.

Wizard of Oz were flesh tones as well, so this seems to be a similar case.

The Hans Christian Andersen set was a bit more generic.

Christmas Carol also has been in a lot of seasonal movies/plays, much moreso then the fairytales of H C A.

Of course Disney adaptations of HCA stories like Little Mermaid have been using flesh tones, based on the media.

Edited by TeriXeri

I don't see them abandoning yellow skin for City, Ninjago, etc. But I hope more of this style sets with fleshies are produced.

It may be that adults (ones not into LEGO or more interested in the licensed sets) will be more interested in fleshies and see them as less toy like than the un-licensed kids sets, much like their new 18+ advertising on boxes.

Edited by MAB

Could be based on a movie or a series without we knowing that at the time :shrug_oh_well:

Personally I definitely prefer yellow figs, the only theme I collect with fleshies is Harry Potter/Fantastic beasts so if I get the GWP the figs may fit in Diagon alley :classic:

This was even a April fools joke one year (stop making yellow figs) :tongue:

10 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I like the tag on this thread; didn't know we were allowed to use expletives. Are we allowed to use expletives? :excited:

Hhahahaha :wink:

I never really liked the flesihes, but I am fine with how they are being used right now. However, if they begin testing the waters and introduce fleshies into original themes, I will not be happy. 

I hope LEGO movie 2 was an exception of a theme where it was mixed, that theme even mixed minidolls and figures, and the fleshie minifigs were DC characters and Wizard of Oz.

And in-house themes make different colored figures all the time, but to me there's still a difference between a fleshie and a fantasy skin color (robot/monster/creature/ghost etc)

And fleshie Minidolls make 100% sense as they've always been like that, even Duplo has been for decades now, but to be fair, LEGO yellow minifigs+slab figures exist for 45 years now so are imo still a big legacy that can't be just replaced easily, and hopefully will never be in in-house themes.

Edited by TeriXeri

Colors got more realistic over time in every way except the minifigs. The yellow minifig is iconic, nevertheless I don't think it will stay yellow forever. It's obvious that Lego wants us to get used to the realistic colors step-by-step. I like them and wouldn't mind if all themes use them.

Edited by legotownlinz

Usually it's not too hard to modify fleshies minifigs to yellow if so desired. 

conversion.jpg

I keep a supply of smiley yellow heads and hands handy.   :classic:

And it is great if you can find a trading partner that will take your flesh heads and hands in exchange for their yellows. I get rid of my yellows this way.