Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Challenge V, Cat B: Finding the Lost General (Baiamonte, part II)

Part 2 of the story about the Baiamonte family. My entry to Book III, Challenge V, Category B together with @Louis of Nutwood and @Henjin_Quilones.

49954394333_d61f67fd6d_c.jpg

Rufus stepped on a chain of rocks, elevated from the ground. The rocks started as small pebbles, that turned larger and larger, poking out of the ground like stakes. The rocks twisted and turned, like roots trying to find their way through the earth. But those rocks were smooth and white as snow itself. Teeth and claws, solid as bones. He suddenly realized, he was not walking over a chain of stones, but over the skeleton of a fallen beast. Dead.

49955178697_ccc54c3158_c.jpg
Rufus Baiamonte

Bathing under the sunrays that flashed on the cave, Rufus noticed another set of bones, leaned against the tail of the fallen beast. On its side, a shiny steel sword that gleamed with the sun. On its handle was engraved the combination of three words: Strength. Consistency. Trust. The sayings of the Baiamonte family. Rufus reached for the fragile frozen and consumed hand of the skeleton lying in front of him and squeezed it tight against him chest, for a moment that would last the eternity in his mind.

49955178812_42687e7f3f_c.jpg
General Juan Rojas Baiamonte

Rufus found his way out of the cave. Behind him, the tangling of the bag of bones reminded him that his mission had been successful, but far from complete.

49954394428_9539a33be5_c.jpg
The whole build

Love the ruins and the skeleton.  Fig looks great and nice story too.  

Where's that skeleton from?  It looks really cool!  Great ruins and the sharp presentation makes the MOC a pleasure to behold!

Gideon!  So glad these challenges bring you back to build with us.  The columns are a neat dwarven-looking design if they were both free-standing, but you've captured their ruin via battle with a foul beast so well AND managed to tell the tail of the beast's demise by crushing so well.  :thumbup:

I know I was part of the team, but again, it doesn't stop me from commenting, right?

A great and inspiring build, Gideon. The monotone mines only add to the ambiance of solitude in the story. The splashes of color (white for the skeletons and gold for the accessories) is perfect, and draws the necessary attention to the main elements of the build AND the story. Rufus is beautifully depicted, here, and the positioning is just perfect. The Dwarven column architecture is excellent, very fitting with the mines of Rhangvar and the First Dwarven city of Derem'tor. And the fallen column on the lifeless beast is a delight to see. 

Great addition. 
And what a pleasure to work with you, sire. 

Skol!

Those are gorgeous ruins! I really like the deisgn of the standing pillar, and the way you built the remains of the fallen one. The result has a very pleasant texture! 

Those skeletal remains and ruined columns are just fantastic, and do such a good job setting the mood for this scene!  I don't feel like the studs around the border quite fit in the otherwise very smooth scene, but other than that this is really a very good build!  Very glad to see you were able to get an entry in too! :classic: :thumbup:

Love the way the ruins are so natural and by making everything grey except for the skeleton and the main character makes the focus of the build really clear, good job!

Absolutely loving the minimalism here, the standard Gideon elegance I've come to know and love. The fallen tower, the damaged floor, so atmospheric. The white skeleton and gold armor pieces add just the right splash of color and (former) life. If I said it once, I've said it a million times: you are still the best MOC photographer I've seen. What a surprise to see you here again!