Void_S

42111 Dom's Dodge Charger MODs and Improvements

7 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Maybe one could use the parts that make the A pillars also for the rear window?

I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

The Body is done

49866243496_cc419142fe_c.jpg

.io

Almost looks more like a 1st Gen Camaro now, now that would be a fun build. 2nd gen as well. Also interior mods! I would love to see a complete interior from someone if that's even possible

Edited by Whitezombified

V8 sticking out the hood deleted:

b1t8derl.jpg

Now i'm having a hard time figuring out how to fit a motor here..

uMr50TLl.jpg

The gear for steering is getting in the way so you can't just stick the motor directly to the gear..

I got the servo + buwizz to fit nicely inside the moc.. But it would be even better to have the buwizz back in the trunk.. 
I guess i'll have to disassemble the whole thing and modify the chassis.. 

6 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps you can put kind of limiter or stoppers on wheel hub to prevent "overturning"

Perhaps you can put kind of limiter or stoppers on wheel hub to prevent "overturning"

If you try this the servo will keep trying to reach 90, and it will find the next weakest point. Maybe the tooth skips on the gear rack, maybe a pin pops out somewhere, but it'll find it.

Back to square 1:

Zc081ktl.jpg

Now you could in theory fit a motor right on top of the rear axle and put the gearbox after that ball joint part in the middle and still get a fake engine to the front..

UmptY0Gl.jpg 

So i guess i'll start working on how to fit buwizz in the trunk and fit the motor to the middle under the rear window.. 

For the servo, i still need to figure that thing out.. For some reason the steering isn't liking the front wheels being so wide.. 
They don't want to return to center or turn unless the thing is moving. Works fine when you lift the front.. 

33 minutes ago, amorti said:

If you try this the servo will keep trying to reach 90, and it will find the next weakest point. Maybe the tooth skips on the gear rack, maybe a pin pops out somewhere, but it'll find it.

Honestly I didn't have such problem; OK my situation was that on maximum turning tired touched part of chassis on my Fastrac, so I had to put something to reduce for one-two millimeters. So my idea is not guaranteed solution, more like friendly suggestion. :classic:

Damn i'm having so much issues with the servo. I could basically fit a motor where the original steering gearbox was and it would only take 2 studs of room to put a small gearbox from the drive shaft to the L motor.. 
But If i do this, the servos wire will be in the way of the gearbox or the drive shaft. So it just wont fit.. 
I could perhaps turn the servo sideways but then i'd have issues with the frame beams.. 

Oh btw the buwizz fits in the trunk on it's side. Hooray!

EDIT:

Using the servo this way:

kxiGkzMl.jpgFRMbrJcl.jpg

Will work but it won't give me the full maximum steering lock.. When i check the axles where the tyres connect to, they loose a little bit for steering and wont travel the maximum they could. 
Sadly i don't think there is anything that can work around this. If you use gearing, the gears teeth wont mesh up correctly and you will end up having steering that's a little bit to the left or right. 
Steering built like this will return to the center. 

Can't connect the servo directly to the axle because the servo will want to turn 90 degrees while the gear rack will max out at 45. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

How about using 4 of these brand new wheels with a tyre over it.
68327.png
or these
68325.png
with a 2x2 round plate with cross hole for the rear axle. and some sort of decorational part for the spokes then put a tyre over it

Edited by SNIPE

12 hours ago, efferman said:

Solved the ground clearance problem.

49869894507_1a7d0607dc_c.jpg

49869054378_6edab5c3e3_c.jpg

.io

Very cool, and it even makes a wheelie! :wink: I think the rear window now better matches the other window frames. :thumbup: If the real 42111 would look like that, that'd be great. :drool: Next stop, 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner?

An again, another prove, that we would be very dissapointed, if Lego made perfect model, so that we didn't had anything to improve :D

4 hours ago, Jurss said:

An again, another prove, that we would be very dissapointed, if Lego made perfect model, so that we didn't had anything to improve :D

the 42111 is an extreme example.

Working Steering wheel, simple Dashboard and a Different Drivers seat. Does anyone know if the charger from the first movie had two Seats?

49873719261_e52e0c4de5_c.jpg

49873719276_553bb4a8d1_c.jpg

36 minutes ago, efferman said:

Does anyone know if the charger from the first movie had two Seats?

It depends, which Charger from the first movie? :) They used multiple cars, some had 2 seats, some had only one. If you have a look at the final scene with the "wheelie start", that has only one seat. 

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

It depends, which Charger from the first movie? :) They used multiple cars, some had 2 seats, some had only one. If you have a look at the final scene with the "wheelie start", that has only one seat. 

Thank you very much

edit:

Wheeliebar activated by the fire extinguisher .io

49874441462_94e49e15ee_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Did RC-it as well. Managed to cramp everything inside, but had to take out the seat and fire extinguisher, with a couple of modifications here and there. Works fine but steering is one cog teeth off center and has some play :sceptic:

49877280553_e653107ff8_c.jpg

49877815016_b569f6c9b2_c.jpg

49877276748_4f70bf359b_c.jpg

49877275103_e712bb1c4b_c.jpg

49877810556_75cd7bb46c_c.jpg

I hate that one tooth off the center problem that the servo has. The mechanism i showed gets the steering in the center but the steering angle isn't that great. But i guess it's the only way to make it work. 
Didn't occur to me that i could mount the servo at the back and put the mechanism back there instead.. But it'll probably have even more play.. 

I personally actually like the bodywork lego did. I want to make it RC without doing a complete overhaul. 

The charger is divided into steps till this point, so only the front parts and the pages are to do. .io

49878600983_a7a92b8b2d_c.jpg

This is what i was looking for earlier.. Stays true to the original charger while being RC.. Works with buwizz too! 

The issue is still with steering.. Those ball joint parts for the front wheels are just way too wobbly so the steering will always point to the left or right..

That being said, i might completely rework the front end entirely and make a drift version which has lots of cowbell for the steering. But the suspension will have to be sacrificed along with ground clearance. 

18 minutes ago, emielroumen said:

The link you included @efferman is not working, seems a small typo since I could find the instructions on your bricksafe.

Works fine for me. 

yes, was a typo

Built after the insrtuction and found a few errors. but it works

@efferman: Much thanks for the instructions, I actually was prepared to build it from the digital model alone, but very welcome. Say is there an easy way to find out, what parts I need in addition to the parts from 42111? I could import the digital model as parts list on Rebrickable, but couldn't find a way to compare that with the inventory of the 42111.

Just now, johnnym said:

@efferman: Much thanks for the instructions, I actually was prepared to build it from the digital model alone, but very welcome. Say is there an easy way to find out, what parts I need in addition to the parts from 42111? I could import the digital model as parts list on Rebrickable, but couldn't find a way to compare that with the inventory of the 42111.

Wait with the partslist, made a few errors in the instruction and a improvement in the model. Tomorrow evening maybe