MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

6 hours ago, Megbricks said:

What if!!! We DO get a set of ##lego super Mario  with regular minifigures and that those lego friends tubes that just leaked get used for it in green....

I was thinking more of the Clear Pipes from Super Mario 3D World:

SM3DW_Intro_Clear_Pipe.jpg

Regarding the debate from earlier, I think the Corona Virus outbreak will be the nail in this theme's coffin. Not only is LEGO taking a huge risk with this theme, but there is also this Corona crisis that would very likely slow down the sales a lot.

So even if kids will like it, the theme still has more chances of failure than success. 

6 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

I was thinking more of the Clear Pipes from Super Mario 3D World:

Oh yeah forgot about that!!

Edited by Megbricks

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Regarding the debate from earlier, I think the Corona Virus outbreak will be the nail in this theme's coffin. Not only is LEGO taking a huge risk with this theme, but there is also this Corona crisis that would very likely slow down the sales a lot.

So even if kids will like it, the theme still has more chances of failure than success. 

You have a good point, but the theme doesn’t release until August. I hope LEGO will find a way to make Super Mario successful.

21 hours ago, Lego David said:

Well yeah, but that would also slow down the sales of all the other Lego sales. So they will likely just compare it to the other sales.

Wow. I know this sounds unrelated but they just announced the Barracuda Bay and that set proves my earlier point about 3D Mario design and Lego design being similar perfectly. That set could literally be a Mario 64 level.

4 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The Pirate Bay Ideas set seems to have a couple pirates that look like a funny nod to Mario.

They’re the original pirates but they’ve been shipwrecked for thirty years, hence the enormous moustaches.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:08 AM, gedren_y said:

The Pirate Bay Ideas set seems to have a couple pirates that look like a funny nod to Mario.

I’ll also point out that that moustache part was originally introduced in Ninjago for Flintlocke, who is about as far as possible from Mario. 

11 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I’ll also point out that that moustache part was originally introduced in Ninjago for Flintlocke, who is about as far as possible from Mario. 

It was actually from the lego movie on Sheriff not-a-robot.

2 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

First set revealed:

71360 Super Mario Starter Course - 231 pieces - 60 euro

LEGO 71360 Super Mario Starter Course

So yeah, the rumors where true... Mario indeed only comes with the 70$ starter set... 

Well, if that’s 200 parts, then there’s no way a 1000 piece set will be $100 dollars. That’s a lot more sizable than I thought it would be for the part count, honestly. Somethings up here for sure, it’s not adding up.

Just now, NetherCreeper said:

Well, if that’s 200 parts, then there’s no way a 1000 piece set will be $100 dollars. That’s a lot more sizable than I thought it would be for the part count, honestly. Somethings up here for sure, it’s not adding up.

Except the 1000 piece set likely is without the key Mario component, which is the bulk of the price for the 231-piece starter set.

Price to piece count varies so much across the sets in this theme, I don't think basing the entire theme on 1 set is a viable conclusion.

Lots of large pieces in this starter set + prints and the large Electronic component.

Price to volume ratio is a more interesting way to compare, but we need pictures of the other sets for that. 

Especially 71362 , 71363 , 71369 have more normal piece counts for their prices, so I hope there's a chance for system/minifig scale sets out there as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, Legocity2713 said:

That’s a lot of money when I think most of us only want the “?” block and flag prints :laugh_hard:

I’m sure those will come in other sets.

Personally, I’m happy with this set. It’s slightly smaller than I expected from the Starter Set and I feel like it would benefit from one more enemy other than the Goomba and Bowser Jr. but it’s nice. Still, not something I’d want to buy unless the other sets are awesome and make me want to get this and try the game. 

32 minutes ago, Lego David said:

So yeah, the rumors where true... Mario indeed only comes with the 70$ starter set... 

It is waaaaaay too early to say that. Mario comes in this set, we know that. We have zero confirmation at all that he doesn’t come in any other sets and won’t until we see the full wave. Personally I’m hopeful. 

21 minutes ago, BigHobbit said:

Except the 1000 piece set likely is without the key Mario component, which is the bulk of the price for the 231-piece starter set.

I meant the size of the model. I thought the build would be tiny. Don't get me wrong, it's not $70, but it is much more sizable than 200 parts suggest. With or without mario, I can't imagine a 1000 part set in this system with these massive parts being the size of a $100 dollar set. That's my point.

Having been annoyed at gaming channels like GameXplain covering the starter set price "leak" (that wasn't really a leak since we already knew about it) not really knowing what they're talking about, and then the comment sections of those videos full of people saying it's too expensive/saying they could buy a game for this (and people who knew Lego explaining that's an unsensible comparison and this is gonna be a large set)... I kinda take it back.

Initially the price per part seems awful - it is pretty bad, but there's some big pieces in here and the technology in Mario. So as Jang would say, the "volume of stuff" is alright.

But then I take away the Mario and the Bowser Jr and the goomba (which I get are all significant additions, but in a normal set these would be equivalent to minifigures - and you can have good minifigures in a bad set)... I feel like there's basically nothing of interest here in the actual build. The flag and ? block are cool but everything else just seems... uninspired. I get that it's a toy and not a display piece but all I can think of when I see this is "ouch" (re price) and "meh"...

Edited by sammy_zammy
Clarification

Just now, NetherCreeper said:

I meant the size of the model. I thought the build would be tiny. Don't get me wrong, it's not $70, but it is much more sizable than 200 parts suggest. With or without mario, I can't imagine a 1000 part set in this system with these massive parts being the size of a $100 dollar set. That's my point.

Seriously? Was I the only one who looked at this system and immediately realised “Actually, 200 parts is going to go a long way with these new Heroica-like plates,”? Honestly, if anything I thought the Starter Set would be slightly larger. Though there are a couple of unused parts, it could probably be made a bit bigger by rearranging some things.

There is a gift with purchase set with 163 pieces and it’s a $15 value called Monty Mole & Super Mushroom Expansion Set. Sadly in the description it says The Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360), featuring the LEGO® Mario™ figure, is required for play with this Expansion Set

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

There is a gift with purchase set with 163 pieces and it’s a $15 value called Monty Mole & Super Mushroom Expansion Set. Sadly in the description it says The Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360), featuring the LEGO® Mario™ figure, is required for play with this Expansion Set

That sounds interesting. A Super Mushroom? I assume that’ll be brick built . . 

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

And this is definitive proof that mario is only in the starter set. Hoorah.