MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

35 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

I think you're kind of missing the point here, we don't want a Mario CMF just because we want Nintendo figures, we want a Mario CMF because we like Mario and Lego and want Nintendo minifigs. By that logic why make minifigs for any license. I guarantee a Mario or even just Nintendo-based in general CMF would sell like hotcakes.

I think there is a big difference between other licences and this one.

It would be a strange move from Nintendo. Nintendo is in the toy figurines market since years and not giving it's licences out easily. That's a huge difference for example to Simpsons, which got merch from uncountable companies. A cmf would be a direct concurrent to nintendo's Tomi figurines. They'd sell like hotcakes, yes. But a big part of that profit would have been made anyways with the standard figures. Not every child cares about the figure they play with even in combination with their lego building bricks is made by Lego as long as the figures are pretty and in scale. That's why i'd assume there could be a line with carts like mighty micros. Being able to modify them would be perfectly fitting to the theme.

Besides that we know there must be a Disney cmf 3 in the close future because the Winnie Pooh Ideas set needs the moulds. So there aren't many lots left.

All i say is: i doubt a cmf happen.

Edited by Gorilla94

A lot of people are assuming the Leaf theme is Mario... Can we hold off on that until something else confirms it? I feel there's way too much assumption going on with it that could throw a lot of disinformation around as fact when it's not. The leaf thing was apparently based on some monkey thing similar to the monkey King in the cmf series we had. That doesn't tie in with super Mario in *any* way-nope, not even Diddy Kong or donkey Kong. Donkey Kong doesn't have shoes. That big fig leak did. 

So far, the instagram post or whatever it is hasn't made a good connection to prove the Leaf theme is Nintendo so just hold off on that. Its entirely possible there may be 2 separate themes coming. (who knows...) 

I'm absolutely stoked to hear about Nintendo finally jumping in with Lego. 

I've heard a LOT about how Nintendo is difficult to work with regards to licencing, so I'd highly doubt it was lego holding back on it, I'd totally put my money on it being Nintendo holding off and eventually agreeing to. Lego know how well it has been wanted due to Ideas projects, they have no problems working with other licences, Nintendo would not be any different. However given Nintendo awkward history, it makes sense it would have been them. So I'm glad they have come to some agreement. 

I just hope this 4 wide fig isn't the standard minifigs size for the sets. They *neeeeeeed* to be sticking with normal minifigs and simply perhaps Simpson styled head molds (but better scaled) as their wide bodies aesthetically suit that more than I feel normal minifig heads would, however I'd be happy with normal minifig heads too. I hope they do a yoshi fig, and don't ruin him either! 

Totally looking forward to seeing where this goes. This has a LOT of potential, being relevant to older people who grew up with a super Nintendo, and those who grew up with Mario on the switch. There is a BIG market to be tapped for that given how well the switch has done. Let's hope people jump on board with it, and let's hope lego get the figs right and don't bigfig the f*** out of them all.... 

Just now, Mylenium said:

You're misunderstanding me. I have no doubt that this stuff will sell, regardless, it just feels kinda redundant to me. That and that perhaps I'm having a hard time envisioning how a character with a complex appearance (you know, the spiky shell, the wild red hair etc.) might potentially look as a minifig. Same for Donkey Kong and some others that I so loved on my Super Nintendo way back when... In any case, perhaps I'm just too skeptical. Let's just see how this pans out. ;-)

Mylenium

Fair enough, though I don't think redundancy is much of a concern for Lego as far as comparing minifigs to regular figures is concerned. I have to agree that Bowser and Donkey Kong would look really weird squashed into minifig form, I can only see them working as bigfigs. Depending on how far they branch out, Wario might be a bit hard to pull off too since he has really short legs but isn't really that short as a character compared to most of the cast, along with Waluigi unless they bring back the tall legs from the Toy Story theme.

I wonder if LEGO Super Mario will lead to other Nintendo franchises getting LEGO sets one day? I’d love to see Metroid or even F-Zero get the LEGO treatment!

4 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Besides that we know there must be a Disney cmf 3 in the close future because the Winnie Pooh Ideas set needs the moulds. So there aren't many lots left.

All i say is: i doubt a cmf happen.

Actually, winnie the pooh doesn't need the moulds, pooh uses the bear head mould, rabbit uses the rabbit head mould, eyore and tigger are very well designed with bricks, piglet is the only one I'm not aware of the mould existing, but it's possible it does already? Or they may have one that will suffice. Either way, at *max* there is only one mould possibly needed. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

Just now, Fuppylodders said:

Actually, winnie the pooh doesn't need the moulds, pooh uses the bear head mould, rabbit uses the rabbit head mould, eyore and trigger are very well designed with bricks, piglet is the only one I'm not aware of the mould existing, but it's possible it does already? Or they may have one that will suffice. Either way, at *max* there is only one mould possibly needed. 

I highly doubt Lego would make a set with characters in mismatched forms. Tigger and Eeyore are way out of scale with the rest of the characters, and Pooh is the only one I think the costume head kind of works for. They're either going to be all minifigs or all brick-built, or they'll do it some other way. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see some characters from the original submission get cut if they go for the all minifig route and don't put them all in the CMF to get new molds.

Just now, MatthewRC said:

I wonder if LEGO Super Mario will lead to other Nintendo franchises getting LEGO sets one day? I’d love to see Metroid or even F-Zero get the LEGO treatment!

I wouldn't get your hopes up on F-Zero getting the Lego treatment when F-Zero can't even get the Nintendo treatment nowadays. A tie-in for Smash Bros. would be nice to at least get Captain Falcon though.

18 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

A lot of people are assuming the Leaf theme is Mario... Can we hold off on that until something else confirms it? I feel there's way too much assumption going on with it that could throw a lot of disinformation around as fact when it's not. The leaf thing was apparently based on some monkey thing similar to the monkey King in the cmf series we had. That doesn't tie in with super Mario in *any* way-nope, not even Diddy Kong or donkey Kong. Donkey Kong doesn't have shoes. That big fig leak did. 

So far, the instagram post or whatever it is hasn't made a good connection to prove the Leaf theme is Nintendo so just hold off on that. Its entirely possible there may be 2 separate themes coming. (who knows...) 

Stoneware.de confirmed it, and they are a reliable Lego news website.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Stoneware.de confirmed it, and they are a reliable Lego news website.

I've heard of those guys! I definately agree considering that the were one of the groups that said that the 2019 police wave was based in the sky - to which I didn't believe due to it sounding far fetched. That is.....until I saw the pictures. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

16 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

piglet is the only one I'm not aware of the mould existing,

Maybe the upcoming Spider-Ham? Hard to visualise it without the web print.

12 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up on F-Zero getting the Lego treatment when F-Zero can't even get the Nintendo treatment nowadays.

:(  Don’t remind me. :(

I do hope it's based on Classic Mario or Mario Kart, but with good focus on the levels.

If it's indeed Leaf theme, those blind bags could be random powerups/coins , like a crossover of DOTS and NEXO Powers.

Huh. So when I got shouted down for saying it’s feasible a while ago I wasn’t wrong. Good to know I’m not daft.

Yeah, here’s a link to the stonewars article that also has the leaf prices:

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-super-mario-kommt/

Whatever leaf is, it has 4 $10 dollar sets, so if leaf is Mario, then the figure we’ve seen in the teaser is a good fit for those four sets. Besides, I don’t think LEGO would be willing to put electronics in every single set in the theme, that’d be way too expensive, especially for us!

Edited by NetherCreeper
Grammar

2 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Yeah, here’s a link to the stonewars article that also has the leaf prices:

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-super-mario-kommt/

Whatever leaf is, it has 4 $10 dollar sets, so if leaf is Mario, then the figure we’ve seen in the teaser is a good fit for those four sets. Besides, I don’t think LEGO would be willing to put electronics in every single set in the theme, that’d be way too expensive, especially for us!

I'd bet we're going to get a different character like the teaser Mario for each one of those $10 sets. Obviously Mario, and Luigi's a safe bet for one of them, and some combination of Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Toad for the last two.

Super Mario sets?  How unexpected.  I will definitely be keeping an eye out for updates on the sets.  There are many possibilities for what LEGO could make.

So looks like K'nex finally lost the license.

Glad to see Lego and Nintendo finally team up. Been wanting Lego Mario sets for years.

10 minutes ago, LegoDakin said:

I don't want to sound negative about this new theme, but I kind off don't see the point of it.

As a kind of dumb, joking-but-also-serious answer: money.

But in all reality it's a really great partnership for LEGO. We can argue about there being too many licensed themes or whatever, but teaming up with one of the most recognized and celebrated names in the video game/tech world is a giant boon. Mario and it's characters are very loved (I personally find the games other than Mario Kart and Smash Bros boring) and there's numerous properties they can do, from Super Mario to Luigi's Masnion to hopefully Mario Kart. People seem to have been clamoring for this type of license for years, and it could pay off. There's a good amount of set varieties they can do based on the various worlds in the games. This also (hopefully) opens the door to other Nintendo properties like Zelda, which could help scratch that Castle itch a lot of people have.

Then there's the tech side. LEGO has been working into media more and more over the past few decades. Obviously their console games are loved. They've got LEGO Heroes Legacy or whatever was just released. AR apps are being pushed. Teaming up with an actual video game company could help get their games (both mobile and console) even more love.

18 minutes ago, LegoDakin said:

I don't want to sound negative about this new theme, but I kind off don't see the point of it.

I do. To make money.

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Actually, winnie the pooh doesn't need the moulds, pooh uses the bear head mould, rabbit uses the rabbit head mould, eyore and tigger are very well designed with bricks, piglet is the only one I'm not aware of the mould existing, but it's possible it does already? Or they may have one that will suffice. Either way, at *max* there is only one mould possibly needed. 

The pig mould was used in cmf Series 12. I can´t imagine Lego releasing the rabbit and pig the way they are shown in the ideas entry. They look like awefull knockoffs. As far as i know the pig is the best friend of the bear, isn´t it? So it won´t be left away like i assume the rabbit could be, if they aren´t all brickbuild. Lego won´t do the figures build with bricks, if they didn´t foget the failure of the adventure times ideas set, which got mostly supported by peoply who wanted minifigures and didn´t buy the final product.

Just now, KotZ said:

As a kind of dumb, joking-but-also-serious answer: money.

But in all reality it's a really great partnership for LEGO. We can argue about there being too many licensed themes or whatever, but teaming up with one of the most recognized and celebrated names in the video game/tech world is a giant boon. Mario and it's characters are very loved (I personally find the games other than Mario Kart and Smash Bros boring) and there's numerous properties they can do, from Super Mario to Luigi's Masnion to hopefully Mario Kart. People seem to have been clamoring for this type of license for years, and it could pay off. There's a good amount of set varieties they can do based on the various worlds in the games. This also (hopefully) opens the door to other Nintendo properties like Zelda, which could help scratch that Castle itch a lot of people have.

Then there's the tech side. LEGO has been working into media more and more over the past few decades. Obviously their console games are loved. They've got LEGO Heroes Legacy or whatever was just released. AR apps are being pushed. Teaming up with an actual video game company could help get their games (both mobile and console) even more love.

Let's also not forget that there's a Super Mario animated film coming out next year.

I think this is amazing. Nintendo is a perfect fit for LEGO and vice versa. I can only imagine the possibilities if the partnership proves fruitful and grows in the future to encompass more of Nintendo's properties. 

27 minutes ago, LegoDakin said:

By this logic, what's the point of any Lego theme?

24 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

So looks like K'nex finally lost the license.

Glad to see Lego and Nintendo finally team up. Been wanting Lego Mario sets for years.

It's a good thing, too. K'nex kept recycling the same old characters over and over. Now's my chance to get a Birdo. :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Hythonia said:

It's a good thing, too. K'nex kept recycling the same old characters over and over. Now's my chance to get a Birdo. :laugh:

If Lego does do a collectible minifig Mario series. It'll be a lot easier to get ahold of the characters you want with Bricklink

Though I will give K'nex the credit in that their character designs were accurate.

I feel like official Mario minifigures will look somewhat like the bootleg ones with minifig heads.

I just hope they do the non human characters justice. K'nex made a really good Bob-omb that I still own.