Micmac

Harry Potter custom builds and moc's

This is mine.  It is a framed verion of 75953 - Hogwarts Whomping Willow.  No extra part is used apart from the frame.  Or one may use an IKEA frame instead.  The car and the willow are untouched so one can keep them and put the castle into the frame.  Of course, if you have extra parts in hand, you may replace some smaller parts (especially for the floors) with larger parts to improve the stability and color unification. 

LEGO%20Frame%20-%20Hogw%20%28Set%20A%29.

(actually I shared it on Rebrickable just few days ago. =p)

On 3/9/2020 at 10:44 AM, Micmac said:

Dolores Umbridge’s office upgrades with the new Dots pieces

I added the new Dots printed tiles to my Umbridge office.

*oh2* I hadn't even thought of that, never thought I wanted to buy a dots set. This is a perfect piece usage, definitely gonna use this idea.

It's amazing, and huge :look:
Looks like you need a bigger table. Do you have place for it? It's realy big.

8 hours ago, Micmac said:

Part of my Hogwarts Moc so far.

I can say that this is probably the best hogwarts moc of this scale I've seen so far. I'm jealous. Great job!

Edited by Huigberts Builds

Thank you, Yeah its getting pretty big now, nowhere really to display it in my current place. Its taking up the dining room at the moment. 

Excellent use of the DOTS bags. And Merlin’s Beard that looks good! Love the little attention to detail like the octagonal build off the Great Hall.

This looks great! Congratulations, looking forward to seeing updates on this :) 

It reminds me of Ravenclaw Boy's one, it was on MocPages but I can't get a link to it now, otherwise here's his Flickr. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29899509@N06/

Yours is roughly the scale I'd like to build mine, although you have far more tan parts! :D

18 hours ago, Seaber said:

This looks great! Congratulations, looking forward to seeing updates on this :) 

It reminds me of Ravenclaw Boy's one, it was on MocPages but I can't get a link to it now, otherwise here's his Flickr. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29899509@N06/

Yours is roughly the scale I'd like to build mine, although you have far more tan parts! :D

Hadn't seen the ravenclaw boys one before, looks cool. The scale was set by me trying to get the four house tables into the great hall and its a nice scale for making scenes in the rooms of Hogwarts that are detailed but not overly details, there is never really enough room to go too crazy. Making the scenes is probably my favourite thing to do. 

I bought a new laptop due to being stuck indoors and managed to dig out my old Hogwarts LDD files. 

First of is my WIP Quad with Great Hall and Grand Staircase Tower. 

_20200410_112920

_20200410_112853_20200410_112831

They're basic shells which need a bit of detailing when built in real life, the overall designs are mostly finished, except I need to add the catwalk parts to the front of the Quad and rooves for the Great Hall and Staircase Tower, which I didn't design in LDD as they need to open in crafty ways which I find easier to do in real life. 

5 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Just finished Hogwarts Bell Towers. 

That looks really good, though I'd personally switch the black parts in the roof for dark gray for consistency (though I'm pretty sure the helicopter blades don't exist in that color)

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

That looks really good, though I'd personally switch the black parts in the roof for dark gray for consistency (though I'm pretty sure the helicopter blades don't exist in that color)

Cheers, yeah they don't exist in grey yet. I don't mind them as they go with the black greenhouses.

It’s beautiful. Well done. Does it fit/connects with the rest of your moc hogwarts? 

Any inside photos?

Edited by Magnum

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

It’s beautiful. Well done. Does it fit/connects with the rest of your moc hogwarts? 

Any inside photos?

It doesn't connect yet but I'll build the Astronomy Tower and create the in-between buildings.

Hogwarts Bell Towers Interior

Some interior photos.

I rarely share my MOCs on Eurobricks and this is in no way as good as Micmac's version but here is my Hogwarts. The left part of the castle (Great Hall, Entrance Courtyard and Marble Staircase tower) is a MOC, the rest of the castle to right of the MST are MODs of the official sets. To the right of this picture I have Hagrid's Hut, the Whomping Willow (tree) and Expecto Patronum but that area is rather empty. All rooms have an interior, Hungarian Horntail is slightly modified too. Every part of the castle can easily be disconnected to make moving it around easier.

20200426_171251.jpg?width=791&height=475

On 4/28/2020 at 4:17 AM, Guyon2002 said:

I rarely share my MOCs on Eurobricks and this is in no way as good as Micmac's version but here is my Hogwarts. The left part of the castle (Great Hall, Entrance Courtyard and Marble Staircase tower) is a MOC, the rest of the castle to right of the MST are MODs of the official sets. To the right of this picture I have Hagrid's Hut, the Whomping Willow (tree) and Expecto Patronum but that area is rather empty. All rooms have an interior, Hungarian Horntail is slightly modified too. Every part of the castle can easily be disconnected to make moving it around easier.

This looks great, I really like the little courtyard, adds so much to the overall look of the great hall. Good work :)

Harry Potter graveyard duel blended with Hidden side graveyard set.

Blended Hidden side and the graveyard duel. The minute they came out I knew they were meant to be together. 

All of these Hogwarts MOCs are amazing. Mine really can’t hold a candle. I love your work, @Guyon2002!

Because of the nature of my layout’s setting (it can be summarised as ‘cross-reality hodgepodge’, in which sometimes buildings from various universes are transported into a floating islands world and snapped up by essentially feudal lords to build rival settlements) the Hogwarts that’s in my city is a bit different. So far I’ve mostly just combined the Great Hall and one of the four component builds from the 2010 Hogwarts that I got way back when (scrapped long ago but I managed to dig out enough of the pieces from my collection to rebuild it) with a bunch of custom stuff. I’ve recently reorganised my layout, and only now have sufficient room to expand my Hogwarts beyond that, so I’m definitely going to add the new Astronomy Tower and Room of Requirement.

I’m still working on some of the minutiae, but would anyone like to see that when I feel it’s presentable?

I might also see if I can track down the Whomping Willow from 2018; is it worth the purchase? 

3 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

All of these Hogwarts MOCs are amazing. Mine really can’t hold a candle. I love your work, @Guyon2002!

Because of the nature of my layout’s setting (it can be summarised as ‘cross-reality hodgepodge’, in which sometimes buildings from various universes are transported into a floating islands world and snapped up by essentially feudal lords to build rival settlements) the Hogwarts that’s in my city is a bit different. So far I’ve mostly just combined the Great Hall and one of the four component builds from the 2010 Hogwarts that I got way back when (scrapped long ago but I managed to dig out enough of the pieces from my collection to rebuild it) with a bunch of custom stuff. I’ve recently reorganised my layout, and only now have sufficient room to expand my Hogwarts beyond that, so I’m definitely going to add the new Astronomy Tower and Room of Requirement.

I’m still working on some of the minutiae, but would anyone like to see that when I feel it’s presentable?

I might also see if I can track down the Whomping Willow from 2018; is it worth the purchase? 

I’d like to see. As a set collector/sorter, I live vicariously through others’ MOCs. :grin: Seeing people’s interpretations of Hogwarts is always fun. 

Personally, I’d say the WW set is worth it(although seeing as you have to deal with AUS prices...). For one, you get the tree. And even if you don’t use the Castle section as is, there’s a decent chunk of bricks that could be used elsewhere. I think the build is nice & good addition to the otherwise large towers & rooms of the rest of the sets. 

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’d like to see. As a set collector/sorter, I live vicariously through others’ MOCs. :grin: Seeing people’s interpretations of Hogwarts is always fun. 

Personally, I’d say the WW set is worth it(although seeing as you have to deal with AUS prices...). For one, you get the tree. And even if you don’t use the Castle section as is, there’s a decent chunk of bricks that could be used elsewhere. I think the build is nice & good addition to the otherwise large towers & rooms of the rest of the sets. 

It’s not that bad. The WW’s been notoriously unpopular here; even though it was released almost two years ago it’s still on shelves in a couple of stores. I’m taking the train to a Big W in Broadmeadow (possibly the last shop in Melbourne to have stock) to get it tomorrow morning, it’s going to be almost three hours there and back but that’s what we do for ABS plastic, right? As for the price, it’s $90 AUD for 750 pieces. I’d prefer a good 20% off discount but I’m just going to count my blessings that it’s still available at all. Luckily I have some spare cash. 

Still, you’re right, good and useful parts. I plan to preserve the archway part and the Gryffindor Tower (rebuilding the ground floor interior into a common room, since I already have a custom-built Potions classroom) as part of my Hogwarts, and repurpose Snape’s office and the other Potions classroom section for a different building. (I recently got a preowned edition of the 2014 Flying Phoenix Fire Temple, since I was in a Dark Age at the time and it’# one of the sets I regret missing the most . . or should I say it was, given it’s now occupying two baseplates in my city. I love it, it just speaks to me, especially because phoenixes are awesome and I wish LEGO did them more . . but I do sort of wish it was a bit taller, as I had to put it right next to the Sanctum Sanctorum and it just looks short. Those stubby towers will be a great start towards building a ‘base’ for the mecha Phoenix that adds some verticality.)

My interpretation of Hogwarts is pretty wacky compared to most . . I’m pretty sure I’m the only city builder who dug out Merlok’s Library 2.0 from Nexo Knights (I’d had it lying around and being useless for three years) and converted it into a computer lab slash tech tower for Hogwarts - with Clay’s golden Wizard Battle Suit on top as a statue. Not to mention repurposing the Dimensions Ghostbusters stuff into a science classroom and installing Abby Yates as science teacher. (She was a University Professor, after all, she’s qualified.) I’d rather buy and build the Room of Requirement and Astronomy Tower before sharing pictures, though. So be patient?

Edited by Fenghuang0296
$90 AUD is equivalent to about $60 USD. I’ve definitely seen better price-per-part ratios, but it’s good enough is my point.

29 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

My interpretation of Hogwarts is pretty wacky compared to most . . I’m pretty sure I’m the only city builder who dug out Merlok’s Library 2.0 from Nexo Knights (I’d had it lying around and being useless for three years) and converted it into a computer lab slash tech tower for Hogwarts - with Clay’s golden Wizard Battle Suit on top as a statue. Not to mention repurposing the Dimensions Ghostbusters stuff into a science classroom and installing Abby Yates as science teacher. (She was a University Professor, after all, she’s qualified.) I’d rather buy and build the Room of Requirement and Astronomy Tower before sharing pictures, though. So be patient?

Damn that's a lot of crossovers. The only crossover bit I'm planning to include in my Hogwarts is a 'History of Middle Earth' class with Gandalf as teacher but that's still in the planning phase

7 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Damn that's a lot of crossovers. The only crossover bit I'm planning to include in my Hogwarts is a 'History of Middle Earth' class with Gandalf as teacher but that's still in the planning phase

Sounds good!

Crossover is kind of the whole point of the Reality Storm (what I call all my layouts - you know how in The LEGO Movie, there was one central city layout and then a bunch of smaller, themed side layouts? Mine is exactly like that). My Hogwarts has Merlok 2.0, the aforementioned Abby Yates, Clara Oswald and C-3PO on staff. Beyond Hogwarts, I have my own spaceship fleet consisting of five Systar Spaceships (they got super cheap when all the TLM2 stuff was on clearance - I have so many useless Emmets), two Maintenance Shuttles from City Space, Ninjago’s ShuriCopter, Eris’ 2014 Chima Fire Eagle, and a Star Destroyer-sized custom mothership I call the Stormwing, crewed by Benny and the Classic Space Squad, Buzz Lightyear, Bruce Banner, and assorted Star Wars astromechs. I’ve assembled my own superhero squad including Spider-Man, Tracer, Frozone, Samurai X, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lumia (from Elves) and I’m considering adding Wonder Woman. I’ve built a secret mech bay for Samurai X’s Mech over Skylor’s noodle shop (another custom) with an apartment/suit display for Spider-Man over that. (Though I might move him into Avengers Tower once that’s available, given it apparently has a Hall of Armour, as I already have a huge Hall MOC.) 

I like throwing absolutely everything together to see what fits.