Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Another thing, I can’t believe that this hype event is called Through the Brick, yet the set has no reference to the brick wall! Maybe there’s something Monday that will actually surprise us ?

I predict that the brick wall will be virtual. And that there will be some kind of app that goes along with this set that is augmented reality like the Wizards Unite game for iPhone. That’s why we didn’t get all kinds of random witch and wizard minifigs - they will all be virtual! Maybe this new Monster Book set will have some kind of augmented reality feature too?

9 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I predict that the brick wall will be virtual. And that there will be some kind of app that goes along with this set that is augmented reality like the Wizards Unite game for iPhone. That’s why we didn’t get all kinds of random witch and wizard minifigs - they will all be virtual! Maybe this new Monster Book set will have some kind of augmented reality feature too?

That sounds absolutely awful. Leave the dumb app stuff to Hidden Side. It ruined the Grand Piano as well. 

Edited by Modal

1 minute ago, Modal said:

That sounds absolutely awful. Leave the dumb app stuff to Hidden Side. It ruined the Grand Piano as well. 

Haha I agree ?. I was half joking but at this point nothing would surprise me.

25 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I really really hope you are wrong, yet seeing how much technology lego has put into sets this year, I can sadly see this happening. At least the set looks good and has no visible tech integrations

Isn't there a quote about technology going wonky around the Wizarding World? Something about too much magic disrupts it? If so, a tech based inclusion would be odd both in and out of canon

Anybody else binge watching the films before picking up Diagon Alley to further hype themselves up?

I'm watching now. Set the DVR to record tomorrow's so I can watch and skip the commercials.

34 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Anybody else binge watching the films before picking up Diagon Alley to further hype themselves up?

We started watching them just because I wanted to compare the movie to the set. Coincidentally watching one a night we are scheduled to finish the day of release! :-D

38 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Yes!

I remember hearing that the new Mario sets have an app that means they can be built virtually and used in different combinations. Maybe Diagon Alley is the same? 

So maybe when you have the set or the square codes you can access Diagon Alley and explore a bigger virtual version which includes more shops, Leaky Cauldron, the brick wall and Gringotts? :wacko:

4 hours ago, RODDY said:

I'm bingereading the books again :excited:

8 hours ago, greenalfonzo said:

Ok then, will there be a Diagon Alley 2 sometime with the Bank, Cauldron, and Borgins/Knockturn Alley?

I don‘t think so. Complementary D2C sets usually aren‘t a thing, unless they get released in quick succession like the Ninjago City ones. Moreover, Gringotts will most likely be a standalone set in the DH wave, leaving no prominent shops for a potential follow-up set since 75978 already has 2 of top 3 most iconic ones. And this set is called „Diagon Alley“. What would they call an add-on? „More Diagon Alley“? „Diagon Alley II: Electric Boogaloo“?

The way I see it, smaller add-on sets would make more sense, but even then I think there‘s a lot of other locations people want to see first before additional DA shops that don‘t have any screentime or important characters associated with them :wink:

Borgin and Burkes is likely as a seperate set as well because the location features in two movies and it has been made two times already (albeit both not really screen-accurate)

Can someone please do a photoshop of the new Gilderoy Lockhart with the old hair? I am curious to see how it fits

12 hours ago, Micmac said:

Instagram took it down at the start of the week, I presume the went after certain # and cleared out all the diagon alley stuff. If you want to see it its on my flickr account but I didn't tag it with any links  (micmacpadwac). 

Cheers! Eventually discovered your flickr from the mention on instagram. Glad it's still up there; it's demonstrating that it isn't as easy a solve as I'd've liked. If I want to keep the unequal display windows (and I now do) then the door shifts, and that in turn crowds the window placement on the first floor...  Hmm... Perhaps a smaller window on that floor as well? Decisions, decisions...

11 hours ago, Micmac said:

The image was such low quality there was no point trying to show all the small detail but when I get some better photos on monday I'll do a better version of it. 

You're a champ for doing these. Thanks again. 

32 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Cheers! Eventually discovered your flickr from the mention on instagram. Glad it's still up there; it's demonstrating that it isn't as easy a solve as I'd've liked. If I want to keep the unequal display windows (and I now do) then the door shifts, and that in turn crowds the window placement on the first floor...  Hmm... Perhaps a smaller window on that floor as well? Decisions, decisions...

You're a champ for doing these. Thanks again. 

Yeah I was looking at that option as well. Will do some photoshopping when I get better pictures to work up some ideas but will ready need the actual set to really figure it out. I think it was the random cobweb room above the daily prophet that got me thinking about making it bigger and that would solve the big pink wall issue. I may like it the way it is when I get it but I bet I mod it. i'll post pictures anyway just have to try and get it online next tuesday. 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

leaving no prominent shops for a potential follow-up set since 75978 already has 2 of top 3 most iconic ones.

Which 2 would you say are the most iconic? I think Grinngotts, Leaky Cauldron, and WWW.

What would they call an add-on?

Lol this would be a marketing nightmare... all the kids asking for Diagon Alley for Christmas and getting a set they’ve already got!

9 hours ago, RODDY said:

I’m playing the Lego game remaster :laugh:

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm bingereading the books again :excited:

Doing that as well, but it's taking much longer.

I don‘t think so. Complementary D2C sets usually aren‘t a thing, unless they get released in quick succession like the Ninjago City ones. Moreover, Gringotts will most likely be a standalone set in the DH wave, leaving no prominent shops for a potential follow-up set since 75978 already has 2 of top 3 most iconic ones. And this set is called „Diagon Alley“. What would they call an add-on? „More Diagon Alley“? „Diagon Alley II: Electric Boogaloo“?

The way I see it, smaller add-on sets would make more sense, but even then I think there‘s a lot of other locations people want to see first before additional DA shops that don‘t have any screentime or important characters associated with them :wink:

Well if Lego are giving us 6-8 sets every year in the future they are running out of locations fast if they do not divide them up like Hogwarts and I guess DA from now on :wink: I assume one set a year with 2 shops in a modular can just be called the name of the shops :shrug_oh_well: Modular buildings, winter village sets and Hogwarts parts are selling a lot and have done so for many years, Lego knows that we like to collect yearly sets that belong together so with many of the most famous DA buildings still missing I think this is a no-brainer :excited:

1 hour ago, bluedog1111 said:

Which 2 would you say are the most iconic? I think Grinngotts, Leaky Cauldron, and WWW.

Ollivander‘s, WWW, and Gringotts :wink: The problem with the Leaky Cauldron is the lack of a recognisable exterior. The iconic part about is undoubtedly the interior. One entry is a regular-Muggle pub and the other is a back alley that connects to DA via the brick wall. I mean, do we even see the LC‘s exterior (especially the upper floors, if there are any) in the films?

32 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

[...] Lego knows that we like to collect yearly sets that belong together so with many of the most famous DA buildings still missing I think this is a no-brainer :excited:

I‘m not scoffing at the idea any more after seeing how well the modular design of DA works, but I still have some issues with that idea:

• They should‘ve started a lot earlier with it. We have no idea how long the theme will continue and a somewhat complete DA would take at last 4 more years
  • This sort of flies in the face of a potential Hogsmeade set. I‘m not sure they would want to have two shopping streets compete like that
  • That‘s a 100$ spot each year that could easily go to other (and dare I say, more deserving) sets :wink:
  • Minifig-wise, those sets would be snoozefests 

I wouldn‘t mind it, but I‘d much prefer to get Gringotts and B&B as individual sets, and then move on to Hogsmeade :head_back:

I'm fine with DA as it is. I hope the add the bank next year. Other than that, I've zero interest in seeing any more of it. As it it is, it threatens to overshadow the castle... which is absurd. There are far more interesting things in the HP universe than more shoppes. I do hope DA is a one and done affair.

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

They should‘ve started a lot earlier with it. We have no idea how long the theme will continue and a somewhat complete DA would take at last 4 more years

Well as long as they see it true to the end it is no problem, if not then I agree with you :shrug_oh_well:

7 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

This sort of flies in the face of a potential Hogsmeade set. I‘m not sure they would want to have two shopping streets compete like that

I feel Hogsmeade can be done as a future D2C, or maybe they make the buildings in similar style as DA buildings in smaller sets so people can mix them for a even bigger street if they like :sweet:

Of the shops that haven't appeared yet, Gringotts and The Leaky Cauldron are the most recognisable. The Magical Menagerie, Mr Mulpeppers, Slug and Jiggers, Wiseacres and Eeylops all have pretty much exactly the same layout. Madam Malkins and Potages are similar, but with a few more interesting features. 

6 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I remember hearing that the new Mario sets have an app that means they can be built virtually and used in different combinations. Maybe Diagon Alley is the same? 

So maybe when you have the set or the square codes you can access Diagon Alley and explore a bigger virtual version which includes more shops, Leaky Cauldron, the brick wall and Gringotts? :wacko:

That could be a possibility, but I still think Gringott’s will get its own release. However Diagon Alley is rolled out, though, I think all signs are pointing to some kind of app or virtual reality feature that is part of the Diagon Alley set.

The QR code is probably going to direct you to download an app, which when you open it will feature a screen where you have to tap the bricks of the Leaky Cauldron to make them magically move, and then once they do you have access to the Phelps twins’ video that will explain how this new augmented reality feature of the set will work. They might even let you see how the Diagon Alley set would look in your house and test out the AR function (magic moving minifigs in the shops, an explosion of wand boxes in Ollivander’s, etc.)

I am personally not a big fan of this idea, but it makes sense in terms of LEGO’s recent marketing and all of the virtual play-function features. So many of LEGO’s new products feature this online / offline functionality. Ultimately, whether you can turn your set into an Augmented Reality experience or not really doesn’t affect the beauty of the set for me.