kbalage

New two-piece differential - details & comparison

I took the new differential from the 42109 App-Controlled Top Gear Rally Car and compared it to the previous generations, also tried to see if there are any changes/improvements/benefits:

I never realized the 4L diff could be combined with a driving ring for a locking diff, ill put that down to my dark ages putting a clean break between old studfull and new studless

On the topic of that diff though, AFAIK you can drive it perpendicularly, with the crown wheel, but i might be misremembering.

Good to see the new diff offers more versatility, both with the option for a diff lock and the option for both parallel and perpendicular drive, now it remains to be seen if lego will use this new diff in all sets requiring a diff, or just for the higher load applications like an RC car.

What is the part/s number/s for this new differential?

Got it from brickset. LBG 65414, Red 65413, & 5X tan 6589.

Edited by 1963maniac
found answer.

1 hour ago, 1963maniac said:

What is the part/s number/s for this new differential?

The full LEGO numbers are 6285646 & 6285647

On 12/31/2019 at 10:37 PM, sawyer klegr said:

So glad that they made a new diff design, I always found the old design to weak.

And very difficult to assemble :wacko:

I reckon you could shim the planetary gears with acetate sheet to increase the friction in this and make it semi-open.

Can you have axles with end-stop in the new diff. I mean with the end-stops inside the diff?

EDIT: At the red gear end I mean, the other end can only take an axle outside-in.

Edited by Didumos69

I just tested with 4L axle with stop, it has not enough space for the end stop collar. It would require significant power to assemble too, so I didn't forced.

It was a good thought, but would have lead to the next: how to integrate it in technic frames. :)

Thanks for testing this out @agrof!

9 minutes ago, agrof said:

It was a good thought, but would have lead to the next: how to integrate it in technic frames. :)

There would have been less need to integrate them in frames ;-).

Edited by Didumos69