Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Chief from Rock Raiders is actually another example, RR Slugger did a video talking about it, but he mentioned sellers who are sitting on stockpiles of them and purposely only listing one at a time as a way to keep the sale price high, even though, again, the actual supply of that figure isn't low enough to warrant $300+ for a single minifig.

So, basically the diamond industry.

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Anyway, I have what I think is an unpopular opinion about LEGO, and that has to do with their policy towards depicting war.  Every time they put out a set that's toeing this line, it seems like people tend to get all up in arms about them being contradictory and such, but I feel like their policy here has always been pretty clear.  They're never going to do anything depicting modern war, but historical or fantasy stuff has been allowed for like the past 40 years.  They've done multiple WWI biplanes that aren't even connected to any license, they've done the US cavalry, and they've done some 1930s war planes from Indiana Jones.  Stuff like Star Wars or LEGO's in-house sci-fi themes that depict conflict are pure fantasy, and then you have castle and pirates that sort of toe the line between fantasy and historical, depending on which subtheme or iteration you're talking about.  With the Osprey, I've also heard that it was more of a structural issue than anything, and they just conveniently agreed with the group complaining as part of their reasoning to cancel the set.

The point to me is that I think they've always been consistent on this, and I'm not sure why it causes a big stink every time something near the line comes up.

I saw a video from someone who'd obtained a copy (possibly Jang?) and they pointed out a problem with the gears so yeah, it was convenient to go with the public narrative on cancellation and avoid a much larger mechanical issue. To me most big stinks nowadays are YouTubers using controversy to drive views and then their content gets repeated on Reddit and other forums and becomes a much bigger storm than it should be.

On 12/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, danth said:

Yes. BrickLink price guide is great. It actually goes off of SOLD items so it's accurate.

I hate, hate, HATE BrickEconomy. Do not trust anything on that site. It doesn't use sold prices and I honestly think they just make up their data graphs. The prices there are FAR above actual sold prices. I think they use seller asking prices, which is literally the worst way possible to do it.

That's the absolute worst! everyone on the modern eBay thinks they have gold. People have literally attempted to sell Disney VHS tapes for thousands because of articles. But still that's the worst feeling is when you go to a used video game/collectible store and they clearly use eBay listings not sold. 

Rant time. A Bricks and Minifigs opened up near me and the prices are awful most of the time. Too many times I've seen incomplete sets go for complete prices but the minifigures that belong to the set are sitting in the counter for like $20. The one that grossed me was set 7093 Skelton Tower having no minifigs and dragon. Just the tower. It was going got like $60-70. But the dragon that clearly went to it was sitting in the counter for like $30. Eh but I did get a Hydro Reed Wrecker for $40, missing the bushes and a printed tile. So it is worth it to  go I guess

On 12/23/2023 at 3:10 PM, Kit Figsto said:

There were some idiots on Instagram a few years ago that would do this thing where they'd buy up all of the BL stock of desirable minifigures (usually Star Wars ones) and then immediately re-list them all at a much higher price, since they now controlled a major supply.  I believe they did it with Finch Dallow and Thrawn, possibly some others that I can't remember.  I would pull up the SW forum where people were talking about this, but it was from like the 2020 set discussion topic and I really don't feel like going that far back, sorry.  IIRC Thrawn was like a $20 figure and is now over $130 (now, I will grant that there's probably been a recent bump due to Ahsoka, but a $110 increase over the last 3 years isn't an organic growth in value, the supply of Thrawn minifigures has not dwindled that much).  So, yes, people are paying that price, but it's artificially inflated because some people decided to act in bad faith a few years ago and force the prices to go way up

Chief from Rock Raiders is actually another example, RR Slugger did a video talking about it, but he mentioned sellers who are sitting on stockpiles of them and purposely only listing one at a time as a way to keep the sale price high, even though, again, the actual supply of that figure isn't low enough to warrant $300+ for a single minifig.

Finch Dallow is actually a really rare figure (only available for a short period of time, and only in some parts of the world) and Thrawn is and was a very popular character well before rebels made him even better known. It is very likely that the supply was artificially decreased by people who expected him to be valuable, but they have shot themselves in the foot; minifigures are an elastic market, if they lowered their prices by even a little bit, they'd increase sales by quite a bit.

As for Chief, @MaximillianRebo correctly called it an equivalent of the diamond industry, with the only disadvantage being that a lot of people want diamonds, but very few people want that figure so... (I think something like 1 or 2 sales every 6 months on Bricklink, just saying...

6 hours ago, Horation said:

As for Chief, @MaximillianRebo correctly called it an equivalent of the diamond industry, with the only disadvantage being that a lot of people want diamonds, but very few people want that figure so... (I think something like 1 or 2 sales every 6 months on Bricklink, just saying...

Is it that very few people want the figure, or only that a small amount are actually willing and able to fork over $400+ for a single figure?  RR has remained plenty popular over the years, and just for comparison, I count around 20 sales of the Rock Raiders Crew set between eBay and Bricklink since September, varying from around $20 used up to as much as $90 new, when that set is essentially just six minifigures and a couple of small accessories.  I'd wager it's more a product of the price being ridiculous than anything else.  

On 12/24/2023 at 2:55 AM, MaximillianRebo said:

So, basically the diamond industry.

Although quite different in that resellers have no influence whatsoever over the producer in the case of LEGO.  Commodity prices remain high but affordable when they are restricted because the producers control the supply so that they maximise their revenue. Whereas in the case of LEGO,  there is a disconnect between seller and supplier. If there was a huge demand for a particular figure, then the supplier (LEGO) can fill that demand and make money themselves.

Sellers take a huge risk when holding on to valuable stock rather than selling it, as more stock of the same or similar can appear at any time and this is not their decision.

Edited by MAB

On 12/19/2023 at 8:59 PM, danth said:

I hate, hate, HATE BrickEconomy. Do not trust anything on that site. It doesn't use sold prices and I honestly think they just make up their data graphs. The prices there are FAR above actual sold prices.

I don't remember if it was BrickEconomy or Rebrickable (or maybe even Brickset?) but when I was cataloguing my collection a few years ago I was getting some comically incorrect prices for a few parts in my collection. Most egregiously I was told that this minifigure head from 1999 (which currently sells on Bricklink for about 45p used, and a little more new - so not the cheapest but firmly low-mid range in terms of value) was worth £4000 and thus by far my most valuable piece. Since that I just don't trust the pricing guides on any website other than Bricklink, and I try not to use other sites for anything at all.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:52 AM, Kit Figsto said:

Is it that very few people want the figure, or only that a small amount are actually willing and able to fork over $400+ for a single figure?

I'm definitely in this demographic. I don't even particularly care for Rock Raiders as a theme (it's perfectly average imo) but I want every yellow head ever produced and Chief is one that I'm not sure how/when I'm going to get. I guess just kind of hoping for a lucky joblot at some point.

I don't even want the rest of the figure, either - literally just the head. Not worth three figures.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:52 AM, Kit Figsto said:

Is it that very few people want the figure, or only that a small amount are actually willing and able to fork over $400+ for a single figure?  RR has remained plenty popular over the years, and just for comparison, I count around 20 sales of the Rock Raiders Crew set between eBay and Bricklink since September, varying from around $20 used up to as much as $90 new, when that set is essentially just six minifigures and a couple of small accessories.  I'd wager it's more a product of the price being ridiculous than anything else.  

You call 20 sales in 3 months popular? I was unable to find a single pirates I figure which was below 40 total sales on bricklink alone, and eBay certainly adds to that total.

For comparison's sake, Finch Dallow sold over 20 times on bricklink and ebay in 6 months- for 800$-1200$ each time. 

I agree sales would be better if it was cheaper, but I don't think they'd be that much better.

Edited by Horation
Wrong words

Wow how is my post going to be the first of 2024? Anyways here goes:

1. I hate LEGO for paywalling Darth Malak in a $100+ completely unecesseary who-asked for it R2D2 that looks terrible in comparison to the recent UCS R2D2. I hate the thought of paying $100+ just for a minifig, I doubt I will even be able to use the parts efficiently to redeem some of the value.

2. LEGO Marvel still on a downward trend from a design standpoint, and value leaped off a cliff in 2023 and continues to be in free-fall with the price gouging on the Hoopty and X-Jet.

3. There needs to be a long break on Spiderman sets, the No Way Home sets were too late and IMO poorly designed with serious corners cut on the minifig design budget. 

4. Ninjago got the Dreamz treatment, sets are now overpriced as if they were fully licensed themes.

17 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

I hate LEGO for paywalling Darth Malak in a $100+ completely unecesseary who-asked for it R2D2 that looks terrible in comparison to the recent UCS R2D2. I hate the thought of paying $100+ just for a minifig, I doubt I will even be able to use the parts efficiently to redeem some of the value.

Well, it's either 100 $ for 1 figure and around 1 000 parts now OR 100 for just the figure in 5 years when the set has long since retired... 

On 2/18/2024 at 7:11 PM, LegendaryArticuno said:

Wow how is my post going to be the first of 2024? Anyways here goes:

1. I hate LEGO for paywalling Darth Malak in a $100+ completely unecesseary who-asked for it R2D2 that looks terrible in comparison to the recent UCS R2D2. I hate the thought of paying $100+ just for a minifig, I doubt I will even be able to use the parts efficiently to redeem some of the value.

2. LEGO Marvel still on a downward trend from a design standpoint, and value leaped off a cliff in 2023 and continues to be in free-fall with the price gouging on the Hoopty and X-Jet.

3. There needs to be a long break on Spiderman sets, the No Way Home sets were too late and IMO poorly designed with serious corners cut on the minifig design budget. 

4. Ninjago got the Dreamz treatment, sets are now overpriced as if they were fully licensed themes.

I don't agree with number 4 Ninjago has a small $10 army builder that just released recently.  plus they have their small dragon sets out now and smaller $20-30 sets that have great figs and builds.  

On 2/18/2024 at 7:11 PM, LegendaryArticuno said:

I figure any corners cut on the No Way Home minifigures are likely due to that film having such a big ensemble cast. The previous two Spider-Man movie each had just minifigs of one or two heroes (albeit in a few different costumes in Spidey's case) and one or two villains. The No Way Home sets had to include FIVE different Spider-Man figures (three new costumes and two alternate universe variants), new costumes for Doctor Strange and Wong, and four different villains (six if you count the updated Vulture and Mysterio minifigs that were included in the first wave to avoid spoiling the movie's pre-MCU villains).

19 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I don't agree with number 4 Ninjago has a small $10 army builder that just released recently.  plus they have their small dragon sets out now and smaller $20-30 sets that have great figs and builds.  

This, unless you want full collection of like Climber ninja, or full selection of cloth hooded ninja, there are indeed cheap sets available still.

Polybag with 2 figures, then some €10 sets with even up to 4 figures this year, and then the small dragons, and the €15 dragon and €20 mechs with 2-3 figures.

Some sets do look overpriced, but not everything. I don't really understand pricing on 71815: Kai's Source Dragon Battle or 71811: Arin's Ninja Off-Road Buggy Car however.

Source dragon should be like €30 at most for 4+ tax, and the Buggy like €35 at most (but it seems sets with large rubber wheels always cost more (2022 Kai Raider/ Cole Buggy , 2023 Kai Mech Rider / Sora's Mech as well))

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

This, unless you want full collection of like Climber ninja, or full selection of cloth hooded ninja, there are indeed cheap sets available still.

Polybag with 2 figures, then some €10 sets with even up to 4 figures this year, and then the small dragons, and the €15 dragon and €20 mechs with 2-3 figures.

Some sets do look overpriced, but not everything. I don't really understand pricing on 71815: Kai's Source Dragon Battle or 71811: Arin's Ninja Off-Road Buggy Car however.

Source dragon should be like €30 at most for 4+ tax, and the Buggy like €35 at most (but it seems sets with large rubber wheels always cost more (2022 Kai Raider/ Cole Buggy , 2023 Kai Mech Rider / Sora's Mech as well))

Yeah that $10 mech set with 4 figs is a steal the figs are great.  I've gotten 2 so far and 1 for my youngest son he's a big Ninjago fan.  Planning on getting some more, those dark blue hoods are really nice and the printing on the wolf warriors is great.  Lloyd is also a great fig.  

This is not my opinion but I found it so funny and crazy that I have to post it here. I stumbled upon this discussion when searching for opinions about SNOT building. This has nothing to do with that, it's just some discussion thread where people on some homeschooling forum talk about how much they hate Lego and want to ban it from their houses.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/421327-i-despise-legos-am-i-ruining-my-child/

Some people there seem to like Lego but most of the parents there seems like total morons. I feel sorry for their kids. I'm so glad that I have very kind parents (that bought me a lot of Lego when I was a kid) and that I went to a normal school.

@SpacePolice89 Totally agree there. Feels like some parents still have to learn to deal with having a different opinion than their kid, rather than enforcing their own (when it comes to liking or disliking this). Reading that thread makes me cringe big time...

My parents never had issues with my Lego. They just had rules for me to clean it up at the end of the day that I had to obey (and they wouldn't roam the house barefoot). Problem solved. They even gave me a compact cabinet (intended for tools and bolts and screws and stuff) in which I was able to store it nicely sorted.

There are some truly rancid takes in that thread, starting with OP. To paraphrase: "Please tell me LEGOs aren't really good for my child's mind so I don't have to feel guilty about not letting them have any."

7 hours ago, JesseNight said:

My parents never had issues with my Lego. They just had rules for me to clean it up at the end of the day that I had to obey (and they wouldn't roam the house barefoot). Problem solved. They even gave me a compact cabinet (intended for tools and bolts and screws and stuff) in which I was able to store it nicely sorted.

Same here. I also had to bring back my Lego to my room after building and playing. There were two exceptions, Large train setups were allowed to be left in place for several days and if our cat was sleeping on a pile of bricks on the floor they could stay there. I still can't understand why our cat liked to sleep on Lego pieces.

2 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

Same here. I also had to bring back my Lego to my room after building and playing. There were two exceptions, Large train setups were allowed to be left in place for several days and if our cat was sleeping on a pile of bricks on the floor they could stay there. I still can't understand why our cat liked to sleep on Lego pieces.

My parents were dog people at the time so that was one less problem to deal with. Grew up to be a cat person myself and yeah, they sometimes pick the weirdest spots. And your Lego definitely isn't safe with them around :laugh:

4 hours ago, JesseNight said:

My parents were dog people at the time so that was one less problem to deal with. Grew up to be a cat person myself and yeah, they sometimes pick the weirdest spots. And your Lego definitely isn't safe with them around :laugh:

When I was a teenager my room was just a large Lego city and a bed in one corner. Our cat liked to walk along the roads but he was so kind and didn't do anything unless I turned the trains on. I never had to worry then about leaving stuff on tables unlike today because my current cat believes he's Godzilla. I nowadays have all my displays behind glass, on large shelves high up that my cat can't reach or in a locked room. He's allowed to "play" with Lego under adult supervision (me). He loves when I fire the cannons from the pirate sets or the catapult from 6056. He also likes to watch videos from Bricks Planet. In the summer I dare to leave some stuff in the open because then he's mostly outdoors.